(Note: This custom was originally done in December 2012 but I only signed up here within last few months and am a bit shy showing off my novice work in front of professionals but was inspired to do so by Booshman's cool ThunderCats customs).
I love ThunderCats (the original only) and was pleased when Bandai announced new figures of the classic characters. Ok they botched it up with two different sizes and only four figures in total but the actual figures themselves are pretty nice. I wasn't overly satisfied with Mumm-Ra. The most obvious problem being, where the heck was his cloak/cape? The one he ALWAYS wore? You don't go releasing Superman in his traditional costume missing his cape. So I set about making one. I'm a total novice but I thought hey why not have a go. I then ended up doing more tweaks to the figure til it got to a state that I was happy with. So here are the changes:
- cloak/cape made from black and red pieces of fabric stuck together with that glue-fabric you iron to fuse them together. Made holes for his wrist spike things to attach to and then stuck the middle of the cloak onto his back with double-sided sticky tape stuff. The glue in there does make the cloak a little stiffer than the fabric was but it's still posable and he can still move his arms.
- painted yellow on the middle of his headdress and on the furry bits of his legwear.
- painted grey on the snakes of the headdress to be more cartoon accurate too.
- painted the middle of the eyes white leaving a thin bit of the red showing round the edges (bit hard to see in my pics). The white is important to make his eyes look 'alive' and sorta glowing.
- used a black ink pen to trace around muscle and facial details in a slightly sketchy manner similar to how he is often drawn in the cartoon.
- ditched the rubber bandage accessories and created ones out of thin white fabric to wrap around and drape in a way (using stills from the cartoon to put them in the way he most commonly wears them). I wanted them in fabric so they drape when static and blow nicely when a breeze or fan is blowing at him.
- for some reason the factory figure has his headdress bandages all sticking out horizontally so I heated them up with a hairdryer and pressed them down to various degrees so they drape somewhat down the sides of the head.
Hm, I should have posed his arms in at least one of the pictures to show it's still possible with that cloak. Oh well. Also since taking the photo of him posed dramatically outside his tomb I've had to sell the tomb, the mummy and Ma-Mutt for financial reasons. :/
|Part 3D Barn Scene||Submission Order||Two Face Building|
|Thundercats Classics Bengali||Thundercats Series||Thundercats Classics Panthro|
|None||Created by Carnivac||Optimus Prime|