A slight rant... Custom Showcase Improvements

Find out the latest news related to Figure Realm. You are encouraged to make any comments, suggestions or report any problems with the web site.

Moderator: Regulators

A slight rant... Custom Showcase Improvements

Postby tommyx » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:24 pm

I love this site, and am proud to be a member. I joined thinking I knew everything I needed to know about customizing; instead I've learned a thing or two (maybe even three!), and am not afraid to admit it. I've also seen fantastic pieces of art displayed here, and have seen ingenious displays of creativity. Another thing that's great about this site is the complete freedom of expression. But...
Take hypothetical customizer A: He takes a Wolverine figure and miraculously transforms it into a Christopher Reeve-like Superman, spending a ton of money on paint and the like, and toiling for days or weeks. And then he humbly ups his photos here, hoping his peers will give him some kudos or praise. Then you take customizer B: He takes a bunch of Spider-Man figures and repaints the eyes a different shade of white (!), and ups the pics, along with his 6 re-tinted Wolverine claws and Deadpool belts. So customizer A returns to the 'Realm a few hours later, hoping to receive a positive comment or two. Instead, his figure has already wiped off the 'new customs' list before he can even view it, due to customizer B clogging up the site with nonsense.
As I've stated, I'm all for freedom of expression, and I'm happy to share this site with fellow artists, but there's got to be some sort of prerequisite or filter to adding your photos: In other words, you should have made a significant change to the figure to call it a 'custom'. Putting 'blood' on the sword of a pre-existing figure, and passing it off as your own work is insulting to people who have damaged tendons and lost countless hours of sleep in the pursuit of their art. I don't mean to insult or discourage anyone, I just wish we could keep the 'five minute customs' to a minimum...
My custom figure website:

http://drtommyx.webs.com/
tommyx
Fanatic Realmer

Postby DTM » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:29 pm

I acutally agree, the slightest drip of red on the figure shouldn't actually be considered that of a custom, rather then a "lgihtweight" custom. Now fixing it up with some sculpt, or even changing the figure as a whole should be getting some more attention that the flooding, one drop of paint custom, again like Tommy says, no offense if any is taken, this is all just opinions...
DTM
Elite Realmer

Postby Patraw » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:19 am

While I can see where you're coming from, I would make the argument that spending a large amount of time/effort on a custom doesn't necessarily make it better than a quick/easy one. Adding stipulations for what does, or does not, constitute a "legitimate" custom is a sticky situation to say the least--who decides what is, or isn't, customized enough, and how would you come up with a "norm" that everyone could agree on? Art is highly subjective, and rightly so. While I agree that, all things being equal, doing substantial modification work to a figure is more impressive than a simple repaint, I can't support the idea that individual customizers should be penalized because there work isn't up to some artificial standard.

Also, I can only speak for myself, but I look at all of the new customs that interest me, not just the ones that are on the first page--if you've made a quality piece that other members really like, I think you'll get commentary regardless of how far down the list it gets bumped. And, on that same note, I believe that if you churn out a bunch of quickie customs that people can tell took little effort, you're likely to be ignored, or receive little, if any, positive feedback.
Patraw
Elite Realmer

Postby DTM » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:33 am

I agree, even the simplest mods to the figure can make it a custom by just changing the appearance slightly. I beleive all repaints are the best way for a customizer to start out, you gotta get used to the paint, then work your way up to some sculpting mods. I just hate those figures that have one or two drops of blood and signify battle damaged. Atleast half the figure should be touched up with paint, accessories, sculpt, etc., for it to be considered a custom. Atleast some effort should be taken into the figure when customizing it. Add some stuff, do a little dry brusing, washes, anything that makes it even the slightest different from it's orignal appearance, but not the smallest less, noticable difference, if you get the gist..
DTM
Elite Realmer

Postby Darththomas » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:00 am

I agree everyone has the right to an opinion and you all make valid points about the more difficult ones getting bumped down the list for easier ones. However, I don't think just because it's easy, it isn't a custom. I also search the whole list for customs i would like to look at and not just the top few. Furthermore i'm still getting comments on figures i posted ages ago so it think this proves other people are also looking further down the list. But like everyone else has said this is just my opinion and we are all entitled to one even if other people don't agree with it.
Darththomas
Regulator

Re: A slight rant...

Postby Maelstrom » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:00 am

tommyx wrote:I love this site, and am proud to be a member. I joined thinking I knew everything I needed to know about customizing; instead I've learned a thing or two (maybe even three!), and am not afraid to admit it. I've also seen fantastic pieces of art displayed here, and have seen ingenious displays of creativity. Another thing that's great about this site is the complete freedom of expression. But...
Take hypothetical customizer A: He takes a Wolverine figure and miraculously transforms it into a Christopher Reeve-like Superman, spending a ton of money on paint and the like, and toiling for days or weeks. And then he humbly ups his photos here, hoping his peers will give him some kudos or praise. Then you take customizer B: He takes a bunch of Spider-Man figures and repaints the eyes a different shade of white (!), and ups the pics, along with his 6 re-tinted Wolverine claws and Deadpool belts. So customizer A returns to the 'Realm a few hours later, hoping to receive a positive comment or two. Instead, his figure has already wiped off the 'new customs' list before he can even view it, due to customizer B clogging up the site with nonsense.
As I've stated, I'm all for freedom of expression, and I'm happy to share this site with fellow artists, but there's got to be some sort of prerequisite or filter to adding your photos: In other words, you should have made a significant change to the figure to call it a 'custom'. Putting 'blood' on the sword of a pre-existing figure, and passing it off as your own work is insulting to people who have damaged tendons and lost countless hours of sleep in the pursuit of their art. I don't mean to insult or discourage anyone, I just wish we could keep the 'five minute customs' to a minimum...

I may be wrong, but I would venture to guess that this is one of the reasons some of the realm's more talented members have chosen to leave this site. I totally understand what you're saying, but I think it's important to leave this site open to customizers of all ages and skill levels. None of us started out churning out masterpieces right off the bat, we all had to learn to crawl before we could walk. However, I think perhaps there should be some standards as to just what the definition of a "customized figure" actually is. I would think in the least it would involve the significant alteration of a figure...simple paintjobs are kind of a grayer area, I mean good paintjobs require a considerable amount of skill and some of them are simply outstanding! But, if you just take...ohh, let's say a Blob B.A.F. and paint it like Deadpool or something like that, then you have really not contributed much of anything to this site.
But there will always be those who contribute a wealth of knowledge and skill...just as there will always be those who are just starting out, learning from the "vets". I guess it's up to each member's discretion as to what they post on this site. I'm not sure who is actually running things around here these days, I mean who owns the site, who makes the rules, who monitors everything...etc, etc....I suppose if the "powers that be" decided to make some stricter standards or implement some kind of screening system, it would reduce the amount of "spam customs"...but that might also drive people away from the site too. For now, it seems that Figurerealm is "all things to all customizers" and perhaps it should stay that way, I don't know...
We all like to get feedback on our customs, so it can be frustrating when you post something and a day later, it's in the middle of the second page on the forums. It makes you feel like nobody likes or is interested in your stuff and makes you wonder why you even bothered to make the custom in the first place. However, if you have the right attitude, perhaps you can rise above that. Perhaps no one is interested in anything other than another Deadpool or Wolverine, it really could be that the character you have made is a little outside of the mainstream and therefore garners little interest. Personally, I like to do figures that are not so common-place. I have always said it is refreshing when a customizer posts a character that no one has done before.
Still, feedback is important, wether it is good, bad or ugly...We all want to know what other people think of our work or we wouldn't be posting stuff here in the first place.
I don't know if there is an answer to this problem...perhaps there could be different levels of customs, we could split it into several categories ranging form Intermediate/Beginner to Professional Grade or something like that. The problem is who would make the determination of what custom fits into what level. Maybe it could be based on a combination of how many customs you have made and what your skill levels are.
But like I said, I think some people have left to go be part of more "elite" forums which is fine. I am a member of several, although Figurerealm is always the first one that I go to. I just really like the format here better than anywhere else, plus it seems the other sites have had an enormous share of technical problems. This site has significantly increased it's membership, ergo there are more an more customs posted every day, some are great and some are...well, not so great...with the inundation of all the work posted here, it is really difficult to take the time to look at everyone's work nowadays...much less leave feedback comments on their posts. So I see this problem only getting worse in the future.
Maelstrom
Fanatic Realmer

Postby Wesr » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:17 am

I've been trying to keep out the really horrible photos but man i am tired of being griped at about it. Not my fault the photos are so blurry you can't tell if it's factory made, custom, or a dog turd dressed like deadpool. My customs might not be the best but I don't think I ever did a simple repaint. THe simplest I did and submitted was addiing a gun to the TFU legends Hound. It seems like on this site lately if it isn't a Deadpool nobody cares. I've also noticed that nobody give creative critisism or even advice anymore. It seems that the posts have all become one word deals unlike a year ago when I joined.
Wesr
Realminator

Postby tommyx » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:00 am

Thanks for all the responses to this thread. Again, I believe in 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' and 'one man's thrash is another man's treasure'. It's great that this site is open to young and old, semi-pro and beginner.
I wasn't being specific in regards to myself before. I was being hypothetical. But now I'm not. I completed a figure a few months ago. I got advice from a highly-regarded member of this site on an area of customizing that I was lacking in. This really added another level to the figure, and I was really proud of it. I waited a long time before I thought the time was right to display it here. Finally I upped the photos...
I returned eight hours later. It was not on the 'newest customs' page. It was not even in the forum, because it didn't have a chance to get commented on. Why? Because some 'people' decide that they have to hog this site and display mulitple entries. I checked, one guy's got at least 6, another's got 7 new customs. One of the entries is of a 'bathroom', which was already displayed prominently in the customizer's other entries.
There is absolutely no discretion here. I thought that this would be the "premiere" site on the web for me to display my stuff. It looks like I, like others before me, am going to find greener pastures...

tommyx
Fanatic Realmer

Postby Top-notch comix » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:32 am

Don't leave! this is still a pretty green pasture!
Top-notch comix
Realm of Famer

Postby Patraw » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:30 am

In my opinion, every new custom has an equal chance to get commented on—I think the notion that the majority of people here only look at the first page of new customs is a false one. If nobody said anything about your figure(s), then I would have to say that it’s a reflection of how people feel about your work, and nothing else. I find it hard to believe that you’re getting 'hosed' by other people who post more customs than you do. The site is run on a first-come-first-served basis, there’s no preferential treatment; whomever submitted the most recently is the highest on the list. You probably aren’t going to like this, but to me, it’s increasingly sounding like you have an ego problem; that you feel that you are entitled to feedback—kind of like, “How dare people not comment on my stuff!”. I’ve submitted many customs here, some get several comments, some get one, and then others get none at all—that’s life. I don't blame anyone here when I don't get comments, I just take it to mean that nobody was interested in that particular figure and/or the quality/presentation was lacking on my part.

While I personally see nothing wrong with the way the site is currently operated, in the interest of compromise I’ll offer the idea that perhaps the site administrators could limit everyone to one custom submission per day, rather than some kind of “quality” control. With the only exception to that rule being contest submissions (i.e., if someone made 3 entries for a contest, I wouldn’t penalize them if they decided to submit all 3 on the last day of the entry period).
Patraw
Elite Realmer

Postby Top-notch comix » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:06 pm

nicely said... that is a good idea though, making every one submit 1 custom a day. nice thinkin! =D>
Top-notch comix
Realm of Famer

Postby DTM » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:37 pm

Nice idea! 8)
DTM
Elite Realmer

Postby Shinobitron » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:47 pm

People do dig in the archives of peoples work. I just had stuff I did a year ago pop up recently!

I myself dont comment often becuase I usually only look ta what interest me. I frequent more Street Fighter and TF customs than anything else, and why cause its what I'm into.
Shinobitron
Regulator

Postby Wesr » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:47 pm

Same here. I occassinally comment and always kiss up to Shin hoping his talent rubs off lol.
Wesr
Realminator

Postby tommyx » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:33 pm

submitted the most recently is the highest on the list. You probably aren’t going to like this, but to me, it’s increasingly sounding like you have an ego problem; that you feel that you are entitled to feedback—kind of like, “How dare people not comment on my stuff!”.

Wow! I have an 'ego problem'. That sounds suspiciously like character assassination. And I thought we were to act like gentlemen, or at least adults, on this site. I never named any names in my postings, as not to personally insult anyone. Well, Mr./Mrs./Ms. Patraw, are you a licensed clinical psychologist/psychiatrist/therapist? If not, then don't make assumptions about my personality. In fact, I don't care if you are a shrink; my figures are here for criticism, I'm not. Please do not project your character flaws on me...
With that out of the way, I can say this thread is producing lots of potential ideas for improvement. When I first joined, you were allowed to post four pics of your figure. Soon after the site limited it to three per figure. I am guessing this is because of the heavy traffic this site is experiencing. So, I limited myself to a max of 3 figures per day, as not to add to the congestion.
Getting your figures viewed and commented on:I can only speak for myself, but isn't that the point of being here? I don't upload photos to this site because I have nothing better to do. And I'm not doing it for money because I don't do commissions. I'm doing it to hear from my peers. And like every artist who displays his or her artwork, I'm hoping for maximum exposure. I mean, where would we be if Lennon and McCartney decided not to play "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" in public? But I digress...My point is that IMHO the "Newest Customs" is the best place here for exposure, but with so many new customs being added daily, and people not censoring themselves with their personal contributions, it's just a 'free-for-all'.
My disappointment stems from the fact that I'm new to the whole customs scene on the 'net, and this has been the first and only place to display my work. So if you don't see it here, you don't see it at all! But, I'm seeing the error of my ways and am currently making my own page,and am searching for similar sites to exploit.
In closing, a custom is a custom, no matter how much work you put into it. Cheers to all my brothers and sisters here for sharing my passion. This is a great community of like-minded individuals. But there's just SO MANY OF US HERE now, that it can be overwhelming!...

tommyx
Fanatic Realmer

Next

Return to Figure Realm News and Comments