Future Contest Ideas

Find out the latest news related to Figure Realm. You are encouraged to make any comments, suggestions or report any problems with the web site.

Moderator: Regulators

Re: Future Contest Ideas

Postby sanmiguel » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:40 am

Tim 121RVC wrote:
Patraw wrote:Projectile Warfare Custom Contest
Make a custom that incorporates some kind of projectile-firing action feature, either as part of the figure itself, or as an accessory. Any kind of projectile is acceptable, whether it be the typical missile or arrow, or something more exotic like vomit, just as long as whatever it is actually shoots. Likewise, the firing mechanism can be anything: Springs, rubber bands, air/water pressure--even those lame "flick with your finger" dealies are fair game.

Angry Birds!
Worms!

Very timely!!! =D>
sanmiguel
Casual Realmer

Postby Patraw » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:02 am

Winged Wonders Custom Contest
For this challenge, the goal is to make any character that has wings. The wings can be either organic or mechanical in nature, or, something even more exotic like pure energy. Stuff like Hawkman/Hawkgirl, Annihilus, Buzz-Off, Nemesis Enforcer, LOTR Balrog, Decepticon Seekers, etc.
- The wings don't have to be functional, they can be ornamental. They don't necessarily have to be located on the character's back either (for example, Namor's teensy ankle wings would be legal).
- You're not allowed to put wings on characters that don't normally have them (i.e., you couldn't glue a pair of butterfly wings onto the Incredible Hulk and submit "Fairy Hulk" as an entry).
Patraw
Elite Realmer

Postby Shinigami » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:09 am

You break my heart.
Shinigami
Fanatic Realmer

Postby Patraw » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:15 am

If that abomination showed up Trick or Treating at my door, I don't know what I'd do! :D
Patraw
Elite Realmer

Postby G Brand » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:24 pm

Patraw wrote:If that abomination showed up Trick or Treating at my door, I don't know what I'd do! :D

I would probably say "THIS - IS - SPARTA!!!!!" and kick him off my porch.
G Brand
Avid Realmer

Postby Patraw » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:07 am

Bling Thing Custom Contest
This competition is all about the Benjamins! There are three different approaches you can take to this challenge:

1) Customize any character who's typically depicted as being filthy rich. Tony Stark, Lex Luthor, Uncle Scrooge McDuck, Ritchie Rich, Uncle Pennybags, etc.

2) Craft a figure that's literally made out of money or some other expensive/precious material. Stuff like Nugget from Rock Lords (gold), Swamp Thing with a body made out of dollar bills (something he actually did in an issue of Hellraiser one time), etc.

3) "Pimp" out any character with "bling". Put so many gold chains around Deadpool's neck that he can't move, cover Optimus Prime's chassis with faux diamonds, etc. Basically pretend the character has more money than common sense and load them up with expensive and gaudy accessories.

Combiners Custom Contest
This challenge focuses on characters that can temporarily join with others to create super/deluxe figures. We're talking about Combiners/Gestalts like Bruticus, Puzzler, Interlink Spawn, Lion/Vehicle Voltron, Power Rangers Megazords, etc.

- To make life easier, you don't have to make all the components of the Gestalt, unless you really want to (i.e., nobody expects you to customize all six G1 Constructicons for a single entry). Instead, you can simply make one member/unit of the combiner team - OR - craft a custom of the completed Gestalt that doesn't come apart. In other words, continuing with the Constructicons example, you could just make Long Haul by himself or a stand-alone Devastator figure.

Peg-Warmers Custom Contest
The goal of this contest is to make a custom of those toys that, for whatever reason (bad sculpt/paint, poor design, obscure character/property, heavily case-packed, controversial/dangerous, etc.), were hideously unpopular and remained on store shelves/pegs for months, even after being heavily discounted. Stuff like Dee-Jay (G1 G.I.JOE), Pruneface (Kenner Star Wars), Gore (Total Chaos Series 1 - so bad that McFarlane replaced him with the Conqueror in the 2nd edition repaints), etc. Of course, this being a custom contest, you should attempt to improve on whatever was wrong with the original, so that they'll "sell" this time.
Patraw
Elite Realmer

Postby Malnu » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:09 am

Not sure if this has come up before, but what about a pro-wrestling themed contest? There are so many great and interesting gimmicks to explore (not to mention easy to come by base figures)...

You could make an existing superstar, or commentator, manager, ref, ect. or create the wrestler of your dreams, OR (and what I would totally do) you could make a literal version of a wrestlers gimmick. Think a half man-serpent Jake the Snake Roberts, Ricky "The dragon" Steamboat, a truly undead Undertaker.... there's quite a bit to work with.

What say you guys? Anyone into a "Ready to Rumble" contest?
~I can read the Universe... but I'd rather look at the pictures~
Malnu
Newbie Realmer

Postby Green Skin » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:48 pm

Malnu wrote:Not sure if this has come up before, but what about a pro-wrestling themed contest? There are so many great and interesting gimmicks to explore (not to mention easy to come by base figures)...

You could make an existing superstar, or commentator, manager, ref, ect. or create the wrestler of your dreams, OR (and what I would totally do) you could make a literal version of a wrestlers gimmick. Think a half man-serpent Jake the Snake Roberts, Ricky "The dragon" Steamboat, a truly undead Undertaker.... there's quite a bit to work with.

What say you guys? Anyone into a "Ready to Rumble" contest?

It's funny you mention that, pro-wresting will actually be part of the next contest.
Green Skin
Regulator

Postby Pock63 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:12 am

I'm going with peg warmers for this one!
You'll be lucky if you're one of the few to find someone who can tolerate you.
Pock63
Realm Addict

Postby Patraw » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:06 am

If there's a wrestling contest, I think it would be cool if fantasy leagues were legal subject matter in addition to real wrestlers [i.e., Kinnikuman (M.U.S.C.L.E.), Capcom's Saturday Night Slam Masters, Konami's Rumble Roses, etc.]

By the way, are we not doing the voting for contest themes anymore?
Patraw
Elite Realmer

Postby Green Skin » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:02 pm

Patraw wrote:If there's a wrestling contest, I think it would be cool if fantasy leagues were legal subject matter in addition to real wrestlers [i.e., Kinnikuman (M.U.S.C.L.E.), Capcom's Saturday Night Slam Masters, Konami's Rumble Roses, etc.]

By the way, are we not doing the voting for contest themes anymore?

Yep we are, I'm just giving it a little break. I'm getting caught up on the leaderboard and getting a pool of ideas pre-written for the voting thread. Voting will be back on the 1st.
Green Skin
Regulator

Postby Patraw » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:16 am

Trophy Case Custom Contest
The object of this challenge is to pick any custom that has won a gold, silver, or bronze trophy in one of Figure Realm's many contests and make your own version of it. You don't have to use the same recipe that the original creator did, and you're free to make improvements/changes, but you have to make the same version of the character that they did [for example, let's say you picked sinag55's Heath Ledger Joker (gold winner of the Vile Volitions II challenge), then that's what you have to make a custom of, you can't make some other incarnation of the Joker character instead]. Take note that, if they have any, participants may not choose their own trophy winning entries, they must pick somebody else's work to emulate, not their own.

Food For Thought Custom Contest
Customizing is hungry work, and this challenge will only make it worse! The goal of this one is to make a custom figure that revolves around food in some way. The character can actually be living/sentient foodstuff (Pizza the Hutt, Powdered Toast Man, Food Fighters, etc.), be a food mascot (Ronald McDonald, Tony the Tiger, Charlie the Tuna Fish), etc.

GITD Custom Contest
Never trip on your toys at night again! The goal of this contest is simple: Make a custom that glows in the dark. The entire figure doesn't have to glow (unless you want it to), just a part of their body, or one of their accessories is fine. You can use GITD plastic, paint, stickers, etc., to achieve the luminous effect, but no cheating with digital photo manipulation! As far as subject matter goes, you're allowed to make whatever you want, but at least one of your entry photos MUST exhibit the GITD feature at work.
Patraw
Elite Realmer

Postby Lestrange » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:11 pm

How about a sex change contest. Like reverse the sexes of characters that don't have male or female counter parts?
Lestrange
Inductee Realmer

Postby Lestrange » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:12 pm

Or how bout wimpy versions of tough guys and tough version of wimpy?
Lestrange
Inductee Realmer

Postby Patraw » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:57 am

Figure Realm's done the sex change thing a couple of times already (Gender Bender I & II), but it's a pretty popular theme, so maybe we'll see a third round of it.

The wimpy/tough switch-around could be interesting. A scrawny (Not So) Incredible Hulk or a super-buff Steve Urkel from Family Matters would be amusing.
Patraw
Elite Realmer

PreviousNext

Return to Figure Realm News and Comments