Future Contest Ideas

Find out the latest news related to Figure Realm. You are encouraged to make any comments, suggestions or report any problems with the web site.

Moderator: Regulators

Postby LWes » Sun May 13, 2007 7:46 am

Hawkeye wrote:Why dont we have (after Demons of course) a first apperance contest.

Oh boy! You'd be forcing me to make First Apperance BLADE! 8-[
I think it's good to know in advance what contests are coming up, because I plan a lot and work slowly, so it's good to know what figures I can work into what contests and so on! :D
LWes
Fanatic Realmer

Postby hawkeye » Sun May 13, 2007 7:52 am

I think it would rock. So many charcters have changed from their origanal suits the posibilitys are endless
Disconnect & Self Destruct one bullet at a time
hawkeye
Elite Realmer

Postby Crisco » Mon May 21, 2007 9:38 pm

What about a Frank Frazetta Custom Contest? Plenty of characters to choose from
Crisco
Fanatic Realmer

Postby VariablePenguin » Mon May 21, 2007 10:10 pm

I think we should go with the custom of yourself. It seems like a popular subject right now.
VariablePenguin
Elite Realmer

Postby hawkeye » Tue May 22, 2007 7:41 am

More people might enter a customize yourself contest
hawkeye
Elite Realmer

Postby Bob-a-Ferret » Tue May 22, 2007 12:22 pm

Just a thought I am not against the idea but I see a few problems. Customizing your self maybe a popular subject but in any of the contests we have had or in any to come I am sure you could do yourself. Example you say ok if we did demons I would probably make one of myself as I have been called a demon more times than I can remember. LotA is my roommate and outside of a few details he looks like Kilowog so he might make himself into a GL. there is plenty more that can be done but I doubt other than Geejay and DTM that many of us are built as well as as the customs we make. So nothing is stopping anyone from customizing them self now.
Besides how do we vote on a custom yourself contest if we all do it what is the criteria do we vote on it looks the most like that person ( that requires they send a photo of themselves) or we think that this person looks better than the rest of us or best interpitation of self (which might not look much like them as I would make myself look like a demon wearing a comic shirt and jeans and giant membrane wings from my back horns on my head and a hole in my side{to show my old bullet wound}, with a seriously screwed up back {to show my back was thrown out}and leave my old wounds open even though they have all healed {just to show I have been ripped apart by swords and knives more times than I care to remember}and showing that I am one demon that is mortal but hard to kill)????
And how do we know most of us are not neighbors and wouldn't know the real person from adam. Heck I have been friends with DisThunder at fwoosh for 8 years we talk comics at least once aweek but it wasn't until febuary I found out he customized toys. So this contest seems a bit hard to judge. Just stating a thought I am not against the idea I just see it as problematic and I see feelings hurt on that one too boot. I know that when you bring in the personal element people get more defensive and take things more personally.
Heck I have hurt peoples feelings just by giving an honest opinion on a fig they made I'd be scared to death to comment on a figure that is suppose to look like the person with the exception of LotA, DTM, Dedi, Kyle and Myself as I feel that I am good enough friends with them, or that they won't take t personally. I would not be scared of hurting their sensibility or feelings. So I could tell them that this needed work or that sucked or that isn't their best work, or that is is awesome looks great or whatever and not be a yes man.
Again I am not against the idea but I see some flaws that would concern me. As I said I might enter myself into a demon contest or a yourself contest so I like the idea and I am all for it. just I think there is the above mentioned to think about.
Live by the sword but know that there is a time to love thy woman and your children. For if they do not know your love then your life has no worth and you have failed as a man.
Bob-a-Ferret
Elite Realmer

Postby DrSean » Tue May 22, 2007 1:07 pm

I'd do customize yourself. That'd be super fun.

But could we do other people too, (even though it isn't in the title) like our family/friends?
DrSean
Avid Realmer

Postby VariablePenguin » Tue May 22, 2007 1:58 pm

Uh, Bob-a, that's a lot of stuff to read.... I'm fairly certain that nobody cares about most of those "issues" for a customizing contest. It's not like it's a serious issue. We'd be making toys that look like us. Sure not everyone knows what everone else looks like... so what? It's a friendly contest... in making toys.

Again, not serious, making toys.
VariablePenguin
Elite Realmer

Postby Greymonk » Tue May 22, 2007 5:43 pm

I suspect that most people would be pretty honest in creating figures of themselves, even if submitting a pic of themself wasn't part of the deal. Would be a fun thing to see but since I average about 1 fig every 3 weeks right now I doubt I'd make it in time for a contest. ;)
Greymonk
Fanatic Realmer

Postby hawkeye » Tue May 22, 2007 6:16 pm

Boba makes some good points but I still think it would be an awesome contest. Even if the figures dont look exacally(or even close) to who they are you can still grade on workmanship. I personally would be as realistic as possible but there arent many figures that look or are shaped like me, so I would have to employ some creativity to achive an entry. Some would use Hulk bodies(as I joke about all the time), some would make themselves superheroes, but its a contest for bragging rights. I entered the alternate realities contest and I dont expect to win but I had a blast making the figure, and thats really whats important.
hawkeye
Elite Realmer

Postby DrSean » Tue May 22, 2007 6:53 pm

Dr.Hawkeye wrote:Boba makes some good points but I still think it would be an awesome contest. Even if the figures dont look exacally(or even close) to who they are you can still grade on workmanship. I personally would be as realistic as possible but there arent many figures that look or are shaped like me, so I would have to employ some creativity to achive an entry. Some would use Hulk bodies(as I joke about all the time), some would make themselves superheroes, but its a contest for bragging rights. I entered the alternate realities contest and I dont expect to win but I had a blast making the figure, and thats really whats important.

exactly. and it gives people who are stuck on ideas more ideas.
DrSean
Avid Realmer

Postby Dr Nightmare » Tue May 22, 2007 7:16 pm

The self-custom idea isn't to exactly replicate yourself, although you definitely can if you think you can pull it off. It's geared more towards making a custom of what you would like to look like. If you're a twiggy guy then make yourself out of a wrestler figure, if you're a fat guy then give your custom a corset and paint a shirt on it, it's meant to be fun. But like anything, if you overanalyze it, then it loses its funnessneses...

And how have you guys been voting on the contests so far? I've been voting based on craftsmanship and how cool I think the figure is, what other points do you guys look at to decide how many stars to give a custom?

-If you guys want to then we can make the next contest a self-custom theme. And what's the Frank Frazetta theme? Is that fantasy characters? (we just recently had one of those so we're trying to put that theme off for a while) We could do demons after maybe?
Dr Nightmare
Realminator

Postby hawkeye » Tue May 22, 2007 7:41 pm

Self customs or demons. Those are my picks. BTW Frazetta was aa fantasy illastrator (I think). I remember hearing his name a few times.
hawkeye
Elite Realmer

Postby Greymonk » Tue May 22, 2007 8:35 pm

Yup I'm all for the demons custom contest, that's one contest I might actually be able to participate in!
Greymonk
Fanatic Realmer

Postby 18thstreet-Geppetto » Tue May 22, 2007 11:42 pm

you vatos are great ..... it seems like your all going for the demon idea, and it makes me so happy :D , Im glad I planted the seed, candy Im willing to wait till october to do the demon theme as long as its guaranteed, as for the self custom theme I say do but with one stipulation that you have to feature a pic of your self with it cause Im just so damm curious about the face behind all these great pieces of art work
God dosen't talk to me anymore............... so chingate'
trade list-http://figurerealm.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11191&p=64519#p64519
18thstreet-Geppetto
Avid Realmer

PreviousNext

Return to Figure Realm News and Comments