Forum Maintenance and Clean Up

Find out the latest news related to Figure Realm. You are encouraged to make any comments, suggestions or report any problems with the web site.

Moderator: Regulators

Should the forums start over from scratch?

Yes
26%
No
74%

Total votes : 57

Forum Maintenance and Clean Up

Postby Captain Coder » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:54 pm

Figure Realm is planning on doing some forum maintenance, followed by an upgrade of the forums. We have not yet set a date when this will happen, as we are still researching the best way to proceed. We would like to start off by getting some feedback from the community on one question. Please give your answer by voting:

“Should the forums start over from scratch?” - This means all user accounts (only for the forums), posts, stats… everything is gone. We start over with a clean slate.

Regardless of the results of the poll, the following two things will happen for sure as part of the cleanup maintenance:

1. All Private Messages will be erased. You better starting reading through old messages now and see if you have anything important that needs to be saved off.
2. All user accounts who have never made a post will be deleted.

You are welcome to post any suggestions on this thread, but please keep the comments useful and on-topic so the thread doesn’t grow out of control.

We will update this post with any future updates!

October 6th Update

Due to the response and the results of the poll, we will not be starting the forums over from scratch. There's just too much good information buried in the forums. However, we will still be doing some cleaning. The following topics will be purged of all posts over 1 year:

* Current Figures & Sightings
* Trading Post
* Figure Realm News & Comments
* Off Topic

The target date for the upgrade will be Saturday, October 17th. You can expect the forums, and other parts of the website, to be down at various times through the day. Also, as stated above, all private messages and users with no posts will be deleted.
Last edited by Captain Coder on Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Coder
Regulator

Postby DiceMan » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:58 pm

no way
1 ppl like to find out thread for refference especially on a site like this where you have questions and answers
2. its great for seo someone makes a thread how to paint deadpool and that shows up on google = more ppl visiting your site

duh its webmastering 101
DiceMan
Elite Realmer

Postby grimlenking » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:12 pm

nmo the site works so why mess with that
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance"

grimlenking
Avid Realmer

Postby Golden Wolf » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:14 pm

I Hope You Dont But If It Has To Be Done Then Do It ! I'll Still Log on !
In The Darkness Is Where I Shine !
tnregime.com - The best clothing company's out
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20647
http://www.myspace.com/hawaiianpunisher
http://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=700359085&refid=13
Golden Wolf
Regulator

Postby Bravo » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:28 pm

you havent explained the benefits of this upgrade, yet. it's hard to make a choice without that critical info....
Bravo
Regular Realmer

Postby Captain Coder » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:08 pm

DiceMan wrote:1 ppl like to find out thread for refference especially on a site like this where you have questions and answers

This is probably the strongest argument for keeping the old posts.

DiceMan wrote:2. its great for seo someone makes a thread how to paint deadpool and that shows up on google = more ppl visiting your site

There will still be hundreds of thousands of pages left for the search engines to feed on. We are more interested in happy users than happy search engines ;) But still a very valid point.

Bravo wrote:you havent explained the benefits of this upgrade, yet. it's hard to make a choice without that critical info....

The upgrade has to be done at some point. The question is basically asking the users if it is time for a fresh start, or is there too much valuable information in the forums to lose. A fresh start would make the upgrading process much easier for me, but it's really independent of the question.
Captain Coder
Regulator

Postby leafman343 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:10 pm

Maybe instead of erasing everything on the forums you could do a thread purge. Get rid of threads that haven't been posted in during the last 6 months/year in the "Action Figures" and "Other" sections of the forums with the exception of the Reviews sub-forum. I don't know what the cut off date should be, if there should be one, for the "Custom Action Figures" section since people might like to search that to find help for their own creations.
leafman343
Fanatic Realmer

Postby CplHicks » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:12 pm

I like having everything where it is.

I say NO to erasing everything!
Worth killing for
Worth dying for
Worth going to hell for

My trade thread:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5060&p=27041#p27041
CplHicks
Elite Realmer

Postby Wesr » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:22 pm

I agree if something is older than 6 months and isn't a tip or something like that get rid of it.
Wesr
Realminator

Postby redmist » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:45 am

You guys run an excellent site here while it'll be sad 2 see some helpful topics/threads like wips and tuts vanish, ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I trust y'all to run the heck outta this site the you've done b4.
"And this guy: This guy grew up in the Bayou, living with alligators, wrestling with alligators, I call him The Aviator!"
redmist
Elite Realmer

Postby Wesr » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:50 am

Anything that's lost like WIPs can be reposted once everything is purged. I'm sure that Cap would back up the custom showcase/tutorials before he does that area since it would be the hardest to rebuild.
Wesr
Realminator

Postby Darththomas » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:13 am

A couple of questions first,
Will everything in the custom showcase remains as it is no lost customs etc?
would we have to sign up again for a forum account?

Now a couple of suggestions,
Why not make a thread where people have to make a post if they want to keep there account that way it's all in one place
Keep certain areas as they are such as the trade section, no one wants to go through uploading their trades again
Get rid of stuff six months or older like others have said

With all that said I also trust that you will do what's best for the site and if everything is purged it won't stop me from coming back.
FaceBook Emlyn Darthomas Thomas
WIP viewtopic.php?f=25&t=25093
Darththomas
Regulator

Postby joey1212 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:24 am

what if we freeze this site so no one can post but you can still look at everything here

and start the new forum with a link back to here, if thats even possible haha :lol: :D
joey1212
Fanatic Realmer

Postby 18thstreet-Geppetto » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:17 pm

I dont want to lose my trading feedback points, can we at least keep that or one of the moderaters put the same credit for everyone on the upgrade
God dosen't talk to me anymore............... so chingate'
trade list-http://figurerealm.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11191&p=64519#p64519
18thstreet-Geppetto
Avid Realmer

Postby Top-notch comix » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:33 pm

NOOOOO! not when I'm so close to 1,000 posts! :?
Top-notch comix
Realm of Famer

Next

Return to Figure Realm News and Comments