Forum Maintenance and Clean Up

Find out the latest news related to Figure Realm. You are encouraged to make any comments, suggestions or report any problems with the web site.

Moderator: Regulators

Should the forums start over from scratch?

Yes
26%
No
74%

Total votes : 57

Postby Esbat » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:05 pm

I can easily back up the Master Feedback List and move it to the new forums if its purged. Its a simple copy and paste into a text file. So that won't be a problem.

I'm Pro-purging, it'll actually encourage new members to settle in and reinvigorate the forums without being told that "X thread was already created X years ago". Cap, I'd simply suggest giving people a mass notice to harvest whatever text or pictures or PMs before the switch that way everyone is aware.
Fugitives From Reality: A Webcomic!

[url=http://www.figurerealm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9016]My BAF, Loose Figure, and Accessories/Bases Emporium!
[/url]
Esbat
Fanatic Realmer

Postby Captain Coder » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:42 pm

For those strongly against the fresh start option, keep in mind, this is purely a poll to get the opinions of the Realm users. It has not been decided that it is going to happen.

leafman343 wrote:Maybe instead of erasing everything on the forums you could do a thread purge.

I think something like this is going to be the best solution. I think the "Trading Post", "Figure Realm News and Comments" and "Off Topic" are the obvious candidates for purging if we don't start over.

darththomas81 wrote:Will everything in the custom showcase remains as it is no lost customs etc?

Yes, everything will remain. This only effects posts (which does include Custom comments).

darththomas81 wrote:would we have to sign up again for a forum account?

Yes, we would be starting over in the forums.

joey1212 wrote:what if we freeze this site so no one can post but you can still look at everything here

In theory, it is possible, but it would require resources to maintain, and the old software would not be updated, which would eventually lead to bad things like security threats.

18thstreet-Geppetto wrote:I dont want to lose my trading feedback points, can we at least keep that or one of the moderaters put the same credit for everyone on the upgrade

Yes, EsBat's on top of this one if we go the fresh start route.

Top-notch comix wrote:NOOOOO! not when I'm so close to 1,000 posts!

Hmmm... Sounds like deleting your account might be enough to clean up the clutter. Sorry Top-notch, gotta crack a joke every once in a while.

Esbat wrote:it'll actually encourage new members to settle in and reinvigorate the forums without being told that "X thread was already created X years ago"

Interesting point...

Esbat wrote:I'd simply suggest giving people a mass notice to harvest whatever text or pictures or PMs before the switch that way everyone is aware.

That's also the intention of this thread. I will post new news announcements and update the "Official Update" date at the top of the forums when a decision is made.
Captain Coder
Regulator

Postby HeartBreakKid » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:48 pm

... question what will this mean for banned users if we reset ?
Friendly neighborhood moderator-Any Questions,Concerns,Just looking to chat feel free to PM!
Official member of the Untouchable Customs Team .
HeartBreakKid
Regulator

Postby Esbat » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:40 pm

yamivash 0 wrote:... question what will this mean for banned users if we reset ?

Inmates run free? :lol:
Fugitives From Reality: A Webcomic!

[url=http://www.figurerealm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9016]My BAF, Loose Figure, and Accessories/Bases Emporium!
[/url]
Esbat
Fanatic Realmer

Postby BurchCustoms » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:02 pm

there is another option as well. worked well for my old forum (before it was bought by the evil comedy corporation). give people a week or two notice before the change, and give them the option to post "save" in threads they wish to save and then you can just erase everything before that 2 week date. that way some of the fluff from a few weeks ago that no one cares about would be gone too.

one thing that definetly needs purging is the butcher shop. that thread is getting out of control.

personally, i would like to keep my log in and info as is, but if something like that makes your job a lot harder, i can cope easily enough. you do enough for us on this site that we don't need to make things harder.
jakeb of Burch Customs
Vita mutatur, non tollitur

Trade List: viewtopic.php?t=19803

L.Roy's Art Page: http://lroyburch.deviantart.com/gallery/
BurchCustoms
Avid Realmer

Postby Wesr » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:29 am

I say we do what is easiest for Cap. after all he has to put up with topnotch and yami and that's enough of a headache. I'm glad esbat's going to save the trading stuff as i'm almost in the top 5 traders :lol:
Wesr
Realminator

Postby asch » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:11 am

Top-notch comix wrote:NOOOOO! not when I'm so close to 1,000 posts! :?

keep working on that :D!! ther`s still time!! ... as for cleaning - it`s ok for me
asch
Fanatic Realmer

Postby Top-notch comix » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:06 am

wow... I didn't think I'd get so much crap for posting that :lol:
Top-notch comix
Realm of Famer

Postby Captain Coder » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:00 pm

yamivash 0 wrote:... question what will this mean for banned users if we reset ?

I believe the banned users should stay banned. I'll keep that list ;)

BurchCustoms wrote:give them the option to post "save" in threads they wish to save and then you can just erase everything before that 2 week date.

The forums have well over 100,000 posts, so it wouldn't be feasible for someone to manually look through them to see if the word "save", or whatever, exists. Even writing an auto-conversion script would take way too many hours to scan through the posts. It would probably be a good idea for a small forum.
Captain Coder
Regulator

Postby BurchCustoms » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:45 pm

Captain Coder wrote:
BurchCustoms wrote:give them the option to post "save" in threads they wish to save and then you can just erase everything before that 2 week date.

The forums have well over 100,000 posts, so it wouldn't be feasible for someone to manually look through them to see if the word "save", or whatever, exists. Even writing an auto-conversion script would take way too many hours to scan through the posts. It would probably be a good idea for a small forum.

if they post save, and they only have a week window, you could just scrap any posts that had no activity within the last week. i apologize, i should have been clearer. basically you are just looking for the activity, not the actual message.

the forum that did this actually had about 8000 members that liked to talk.... the board was huge. one of the reasons the site was sold. they couldn't afford to keep up with server space.
jakeb of Burch Customs
Vita mutatur, non tollitur

Trade List: viewtopic.php?t=19803

L.Roy's Art Page: http://lroyburch.deviantart.com/gallery/
BurchCustoms
Avid Realmer

Postby Captain Coder » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:55 am

BurchCustoms wrote:if they post save, and they only have a week window, you could just scrap any posts that had no activity within the last week. i apologize, i should have been clearer. basically you are just looking for the activity, not the actual message.

Ah, I got you. That's not a bad idea. I'll keep that one in mind.
Captain Coder
Regulator

Postby MrGore » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:30 am

I think maybe the section "others" with off topic, and comics corner, and news should restart, as it's maybe not a crucial part of the site, but the other sections contain precious information for customizers, some time someone asks for help, and I have the same doubt I don't bother asking again if someone answered it before, maybe you should give the users a time period to chose what topics should stay open, for example, create a pool in every topic, called "keep this after maintnance", and then you check what can go and what must stay. unless that's to much to ask.
MrGore
Avid Realmer

Postby Shinobitron » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:46 pm

Gonna have to say negative on this one. Theres lots of archived info on here that can very useful to everyone. I do agree though that users who have 0 posts (actually even 1 post. . . freaking bots) should be Xed.
Shinobitron
Regulator

Postby Bob-a-Ferret » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:51 pm

You know seriously I think that yes it is time to start over here on the forums and clean up the mess it has become. I use to be on all the time commenting. helping and even posting my customs and though I still check the customs the forums are such a mess I don't bother any more. I know several others in the same position as myself a reboot will bring me back and might even bring a few of them back too. Yes I know you have more people saying no don't but it would be foolish not to. But in the end it is your site and your decision and you should do as you see fit.
Live by the sword but know that there is a time to love thy woman and your children. For if they do not know your love then your life has no worth and you have failed as a man.
Bob-a-Ferret
Elite Realmer

Postby SCORPION11.0 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:06 am

i think that helpful posts, like tuts and such, should stay, basically i agree with the majority of people here, if its 6 months to a yar old and is just taking up space, then it should get the boot, the usless should be cleaned out and make room for the useful future threads
SCORPION11.0
Regular Realmer

PreviousNext

Return to Figure Realm News and Comments