Announcing the Cyberpunk Custom Contest

Find out the latest news related to Figure Realm. You are encouraged to make any comments, suggestions or report any problems with the web site.

Moderator: Regulators

Announcing the Cyberpunk Custom Contest

Postby Custom Showcase » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:03 pm

Announcing the Cyberpunk Custom Contest.

The Earth we knew is no more. It is now run by the cockroaches, weapons rule the broken cities and microchips are worth more than gold. Some are worth more than the lives that guard them, this is the world of Cyberpunk. People of all sorts of seedy backgrounds band together to carve a life out of the dead metal husk this planet has become. Plasma rifles and big spiky boots are the weapons of choice, techno-domination the goal, how will you achieve it!

"Cyberpunk features advanced science, such as information technology and cybernetics, coupled with a degree of breakdown or radical change in the social order. Cyberpunk often centers on a conflict among hackers, artificial intelligences, and megacorporations, and tend to be set in a near-future Earth, rather than the far-future settings or galactic vistas. The settings are usually post-industrial dystopias but tend to be marked by extraordinary cultural ferment and the use of technology in ways never anticipated by its creators ('the street finds its own uses for things')." - Cyberpunk Wiki

The usual rules apply. No full body cyborgs for the most part. The cyberpunk review has a good list of references. A good ref you can find stuff for online is the tabletop game Shadowrun.

http://www.cyberpunkreview.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberpunk
Custom Showcase
Realminator

Re: Announcing the Cyberpunk Custom Contest

Postby Wesr » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:26 am

okay in case you didn't see it in the main info area. Full body cyborgs and androids ARE allowed if they are Ghost in the shell characters. Most cyberpunk only have AI and partial cyborgs, Shadowrun does have full body ones but they're little more than zombies.
Wesr
Realminator

Postby Pock63 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:53 am

sephiroth wrote:okay in case you didn't see it in the main info area. Full body cyborgs and androids ARE allowed if they are Ghost in the shell characters. Most cyberpunk only have AI and partial cyborgs, Shadowrun does have full body ones but they're little more than zombies.

Cool! I'm working on a custome that I'll be able to submit if I get it done in time!
You'll be lucky if you're one of the few to find someone who can tolerate you.
Pock63
Realm Addict

Postby Wesr » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:19 am

I've seen some entries that aren't really cyberpunk per se. I think we're gonna have to crack down on entries and it's going to be mandatory that background stories be included. Nobody even bothered to read use the cyberpunk links we included.
Wesr
Realminator

Postby HeartBreakKid » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:52 pm

would Alfonse & edward elrich be considered cyberpunk ?
Friendly neighborhood moderator-Any Questions,Concerns,Just looking to chat feel free to PM!
Official member of the Untouchable Customs Team .
HeartBreakKid
Regulator

Postby Green Skin » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:17 pm

yamivash 0 wrote:would Alfonse & edward elrich be considered cyberpunk ?

They're more Steampunk.

It was a horrible movie, but Johnny Mnemonic is a great example of Cyberpunk. Try to imagine the world and it's technologies 70 years from now. Now imagine what the slums of this world look like. That's Cyperpunk, IMO.
Green Skin
Regulator

Postby leafman343 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:31 pm

I think Bladerunner is considered cyberpunk (it's film noir too)
leafman343
Fanatic Realmer

Postby Wesr » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:21 am

Yeah Bladerunner would work, the shadowrun RPG works, even the movie Hardware would work as would Ghost in the shell.. The cyberpunk review site we put the link to has a list of movies. Sadly Johnny Nuemonic was written for the screen by the father of modern cyberpunk who wrote the short story it was just badly made. Even the matrix is cyberpunk.
Wesr
Realminator

Postby Green Skin » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:08 pm

sephiroth wrote:Sadly Johnny Nuemonic was written for the screen by the father of modern cyberpunk who wrote the short story it was just badly made.

That had to be one of the biggest disappointments for fans of the genre. Hayden Christensen playing Case for Neuromancer is a close second though.
Green Skin
Regulator

Postby Wesr » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:13 pm

oh that just sounds horrid. Who is casting these things? Even Ed Furlong woulda been better as CAse.
Wesr
Realminator

Postby Green Skin » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:44 pm

sephiroth wrote:oh that just sounds horrid. Who is casting these things? Even Ed Furlong woulda been better as CAse.

Maybe the casting director is a spy for the radio industry. Ruining Hollywood one movie at a time. Furlong would be cool to see as Case. Even though he's a bit old, I like Ed Norton for the role. He may not have the exact look people imagine for Case, but the man can act.
Green Skin
Regulator

Postby Wesr » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:52 pm

I wish gibson'd have gotten more control over the stuff written into his contract. I'd love to see the guys who did the matrix do a gibson novel like this. Rumor has it there is a live ghost in the shell in the works. spielburg is rumored ot be part of it which means michael bay'll ruin it too lol.
Wesr
Realminator

Return to Figure Realm News and Comments