Showcase?

Find out the latest news related to Figure Realm. You are encouraged to make any comments, suggestions or report any problems with the web site.

Moderator: Regulators

Showcase?

Postby bobtheodd » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:06 pm

What happen to the showcase part of the forum? Its gone and I saw no post explaining what was going on with it. :-k
bobtheodd
Elite Realmer

Re: Showcase?

Postby Captain Coder » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:16 am

Captain Coder
Regulator

Postby tommyx » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:43 am

My two cents:
By checking out new or newish figures in the forum, it was easy to scan through many customs very fast. Now it doesn't look like I can do that. And if I missed a figure from a day or week ago, and it's been commented on recently, how do I view it?
When leaving positive comments for people, if someone has already used the adjective "great" or "amazing", I'd prefer not to repeat it. With the old way, I could scroll through other people's post before confirming mine. Now, when leaving your post, you don't have that option.
I'm not lovin' this... :(
My custom figure website:

http://drtommyx.webs.com/
tommyx
Fanatic Realmer

Postby VariablePenguin » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:16 am

So, I guess there's no more posting extra pictures in the forum for your figures.
VariablePenguin
Elite Realmer

Postby Captain Coder » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:29 am

tommyx wrote:My two cents:

Let me see if I understand your points.

1. I think point #1 is viewing customs that have new comments. I believe viewing all the new comments will accomplish this. It's only a slightly different view. It will show you all the comments from the most recent to the oldest, and it does show you the custom the comment was posted on. It's slightly different from the fact that it doesn't show you only the custom, but the comment. It seems like this would be an improvement so you don't have to open up each custom to view the comment, because the comments are all displayed right there. You can click the "Show more comments" link from the Custom Showcase home page, which takes you here: http://www.figurerealm.com/viewcomments.php?ns=0&mode=2&id=7

2. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by scrolling through other people's comments first? When you view a custom, all the comments for that custom are right there on the page. You see them all before you click the Post Comment button.
Captain Coder
Regulator

Postby Captain Coder » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:31 am

VariablePenguin wrote:So, I guess there's no more posting extra pictures in the forum for your figures.

Yes, for now that is correct. Posting more pictures, or providing links, can be done by contributing. Things are always changing, but for now that's the way it is.
Captain Coder
Regulator

Postby tommyx » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:36 pm

I think point #1 is viewing customs that have new comments. I believe viewing all the new comments will accomplish this. It's only a slightly different view. It will show you all the comments from the most recent to the oldest, and it does show you the custom the comment was posted on. It's slightly different from the fact that it doesn't show you only the custom, but the comment. It seems like this would be an improvement so you don't have to open up each custom to view the comment, because the comments are all displayed right there. You can click the "Show more comments" link from the Custom Showcase home page, which takes you here: http://www.figurerealm.com/viewcomments

Yeah, I get that now. That is convienent.

. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by scrolling through other people's comments first? When you view a custom, all the comments for that custom are right there on the page. You see them all before you click the Post Comment button.

What I mean is once you click the Post Comment button, you can't see the other responses, like you could before. You have to wait until it's posted. I like to give responses that differ from the others, and I'd prefer not to repeat "Awesome figure, man" if somebody else already wrote it. I know that I just looked at the comments, but my short-term memory ain't what it used to be! :D
Another thing I liked about viewing new customs through the forum is that you could see the 'stats' on the figures, like, for example, 8 REPLIES and 24 VIEWS. Now that function seems to have disappeared.
Now, don't mind me. I'm just an old curmudgeon who hates change. I'll get used to it eventually...

tommyx
Fanatic Realmer

Postby Captain Coder » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:19 pm

tommyx wrote:What I mean is once you click the Post Comment button, you can't see the other responses, like you could before.

I got it now. If you reply to a comment, it does show you the comment you are replying to, but it does not show you the whole history like the forums does. I do see how that could be helpful for some of the bigger "conversations". I'll keep that one in mind.

tommyx wrote:Another thing I liked about viewing new customs through the forum is that you could see the 'stats' on the figures, like, for example, 8 REPLIES and 24 VIEWS. Now that function seems to have disappeared.

Keep in mind the stats are forum style features, so they don't quite apply the same way to the user comments. The stats were shown at the topic level there, but they were somewhat misleading. The views only applied to the comments themselves, and had no bearing on how many times the custom was actually viewed. Some stats that are more pertinent could probably be added somewhere in the Showcase that would make a cool addition. We'll have to wait on this one until we see how things evolve.

tommyx wrote:Now, don't mind me. I'm just an old curmudgeon who hates change. I'll get used to it eventually...

No, this is some good feedback. It's also digging up some good information that explains how things work that should help others out as well :)
Captain Coder
Regulator

Postby PJcustoms » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:59 pm

i personnaly like the new way to post comments - i think it'seasier . but now let say you post a comment on to a figure - if you go into view your posts it doesn't seem to apear so now i guess you have to go to the custom individualy to see if theres a reply . is that right ?
PJcustoms
Avid Realmer

Postby invis » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:21 am

I don't like the new change at all. I liked the old one being attached to the forums, with lots of pages showing the older ones, because there's too many new figures daily to fit on one page that only shows the 20 newest things. Now the most active part of the forum is gone. Hardly anyone posts anything in most of the other parts of the forum except a few "look what I gots" and the occasional help question, so now the forum is really going to become even more of a ghost town.
invis
Regular Realmer

Postby Patraw » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:37 am

I also preferred the old format for commenting on customs in the forums, probably just because I've become accustomed to using it for so long. Perhaps the new format will grow on me with time.
Patraw
Elite Realmer

Postby tommyx » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:25 am

One more thing I've noticed:
I mentioned that I kinda liked the new Latest Custom Comments, being that's it's convenient. But, I was mistaken! It lists: "Comment on {custom figure} by {name}". I initially thought that 'name' was referring to the creator of the figure, not a fan. This is INconvenient because now I'll have to go through all the figures' comments listed to figure out who made them!
Okay, I noticed something else:
People were posting extra pics of their figure in the forum thread, in addition to the standard three pics per figure. This isn't fair to the people who 'contribute', ie pay, to upload 4 or 5 pictures of their figure. If things go back to the old way (please!), then this feature should be eliminated, just to be fair.

the Curmudgeon

tommyx
Fanatic Realmer

Postby Captain Coder » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:34 pm

tommyx wrote:It lists: "Comment on {custom figure} by {name}".

Let's try this. Now it reads "Comment by {commenter} on {custom figure} by {customizer}"

tommyx wrote:People were posting extra pics of their figure in the forum thread, in addition to the standard three pics per figure. This isn't fair to the people who 'contribute', ie pay, to upload 4 or 5 pictures of their figure. If things go back to the old way (please!), then this feature should be eliminated, just to be fair.

No longer an issue. We will not be going back to the old way. We had to get away from it. We'll just have to work on improving the new way.
Captain Coder
Regulator

Postby tommyx » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:19 am

Let's try this. Now it reads "Comment by {commenter} on {custom figure} by {customizer}"

Definitely better. Thanks, CC.

tommyx
Fanatic Realmer

Postby VariablePenguin » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:43 pm

Any chance in there being a follow figure option added at some point. I know that you can follow a thread here and be emailed when someone posts something new to it, would that be possible for figures. Mainly because if I post something on someone's figure, I don't like having to dig through the new figures to find it again to see if there is a reply.
VariablePenguin
Elite Realmer

Next

Return to Figure Realm News and Comments