Vote For The Next Custom Contest Theme!

Find out the latest news related to Figure Realm. You are encouraged to make any comments, suggestions or report any problems with the web site.

Moderator: Regulators

Re: Vote For The Next Custom Contest Theme!

Postby Batman1016 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:59 am

Uhm . . . couldn't we have the ruling be a little more strict? Like, no CHARACTER the Realm has ever seen? I know I'm not alone when I say, I think we're already up to our eyeballs in Deadpools, Batmen, Hulks (of every color AND gender), Spider-Men, Predators, Captains America, and all the other big names that have seemingly infinite costume variation possibilities. I mean yes, "Arctic Attack Armor Iron Man" and "Pretty Pink Pantaloons Batman" are certainly new designs, but there's a reason such figures end up being peg warmers at stores: because no matter how differently you dress the guys up, we've already bought piles of Messrs. Stark and Wayne, we've seen him already, we don't need another in the collection.

And yes, there are PLENTY of characters not on the Realm, people would just have to stray outside the conventional. Which is what I assumed this contest was about.
Batman1016
Regular Realmer

Postby Green Skin » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:01 am

Batman1016 wrote:Uhm . . . couldn't we have the ruling be a little more strict? Like, no CHARACTER the Realm has ever seen? I know I'm not alone when I say, I think we're already up to our eyeballs in Deadpools, Batmen, Hulks (of every color AND gender), Spider-Men, Predators, Captains America, and all the other big names that have seemingly infinite costume variation possibilities. I mean yes, "Arctic Attack Armor Iron Man" and "Pretty Pink Pantaloons Batman" are certainly new designs, but there's a reason such figures end up being peg warmers at stores: because no matter how differently you dress the guys up, we've already bought piles of Messrs. Stark and Wayne, we've seen him already, we don't need another in the collection.

And yes, there are PLENTY of characters not on the Realm, people would just have to stray outside the conventional. Which is what I assumed this contest was about.

If that's what you guys want to do, I'm more than okay with it. That was actually the original idea.
Green Skin
Regulator

Postby Batman1016 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:24 am

Well, I definitely do, but I will naturally defer to the majority. But yeah, I think the Realm has enough Deadpool variants. Seriously, did you know we had 897 Deadpools on this site? 880 of them since 2007? 815 since '08? For a site that's been around since '03, and a character that's been around since '91 . . . that's a pretty ludicrous popularity curve.
Batman1016
Regular Realmer

Postby whiskeytango » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:37 am

i vote #5, with a bullet.
Check out my Customs Blog here: http://whiskeytangoscustomshop.blogspot.com/
whiskeytango
Fanatic Realmer

Postby BDCdiesel » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:47 am

Green Skin wrote:If that's what you guys want to do, I'm more than okay with it. That was actually the original idea.

I'm cool either way. The research alone would be fun! Only a figure Figure Realm has never seen, right?
Green Skin wrote:The start of the contest would be the cut off, so anything submitted after the contest starts wouldn't affect legal entries [/i]

Start of the contest, as in as soon as you're able to submit entries, or when voting begins?
BDCdiesel
Regular Realmer

Postby Green Skin » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:32 am

BDCdiesel wrote:
Green Skin wrote:If that's what you guys want to do, I'm more than okay with it. That was actually the original idea.

I'm cool either way. The research alone would be fun! Only a figure Figure Realm has never seen, right?

Correct.

BDCdiesel wrote:
Green Skin wrote:The start of the contest would be the cut off, so anything submitted after the contest starts wouldn't affect legal entries [/i]

Start of the contest, as in as soon as you're able to submit entries, or when voting begins?

The cutoff would be as soon as the contest rules are posted. That way people don't have to worry about their entry becoming illegal while the contest is still running. It also avoids the potential issue of people picking the same character for the contest.
Green Skin
Regulator

Postby Patraw » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:43 am

I'm going to throw in my vote for #6: Sight Unseen too.

I'd have to say that I agree with Batman1016's comments. While I don't have anything against Deadpool, Batman, Hulk, etc., I think the contest would be more interesting if it truly had to be a custom of a character that has never been seen on Figure Realm before, and not just a new variant. On the other hand, that would severely handicap individuals that enjoy making customs of comic book characters, because so many of those have already been done, even the really obscure ones.
Patraw
Elite Realmer

Postby Shinigami » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:46 am

Batman1016 wrote:Well, I definitely do, but I will naturally defer to the majority. But yeah, I think the Realm has enough Deadpool variants. Seriously, did you know we had 897 Deadpools on this site? 880 of them since 2007? 815 since '08? For a site that's been around since '03, and a character that's been around since '91 . . . that's a pretty ludicrous popularity curve.

*drops current Deadpool custom*

I say let's make the rules that it must be a new character for the Realm (remind people about the search option at the bottom of the page btw) OR a character that has 5 or less entries.
Shinigami
Fanatic Realmer

Postby Batman1016 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:14 pm

Well, here's my thing on that handicap:

1) It's no more of a handicap on the superhero builders than FPS Fiesta or Alienated Anatomy, both of which have limited comic potential (FPS more so). As with most of the contests, the goal is to get people to overcome the obstacles and branch out, expand their creativity. Or at the very least, creatively apply their own expertise to fit the limits of the criteria they're given. And if they don't want to enter, there are four or five other contests they can still get into.

2) The comic customizers usually tend to only work on superheroes, but forget that there's a MASSIVE world (the don't call it the "Marvel Universe" for nothing) to choose from, including supporting characters. To beat the dead horse example, he have 900 Deadpools . . . but NOT ONE Blind Al on the Realm. Do a search for Jimmy Olsen, guess how many results come up. I, for one, would LOVE to see a "Jimmy Olsen as Turtle Boy" figure. And aside from Lois Lane and Mary Jane, how many superhero love interests get the figure treatment? And that's not even mentioning the thousands of one-shot heroes and villains that have made appearances in DC's 70+ years and Marvel's 50+ years of continuity.

So no, I don't think the "no character that's ever been on the Realm" route is too restrictive, even without Shinigami's "five or less" rule. But again, if people want that in there, I suppose that's a compromise.
Batman1016
Regular Realmer

Postby BDCdiesel » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:25 pm

I agree with batman. We have contests covering all that other stuff. If we keep the restrictions it will force people to not only be creative, but maybe think more critically about their process. There are a lot of characters that get remade because they're easy to make, ha ha. Anyhow, more restrictive rules will reach corners of the customizing universe that haven't been covered before, mostly because people haven't had a good reason to.

Edit: I always have 1 or 2 WIPs that would fall within the parameters of pretty much any contest that pops up here (it's pure laziness that I don't ever finish any of them), but this one would force people to actually make a character that hasn't been seen (here) before. That alone makes me excited to get my S*** together and do some serious research and make sure I get at least 1 entry done for this contest. The "5 or less" rule puts me back in the same boat as before, I already have a few WIP's that I could use for that contest, killing my motivation to make something really unique.
BDCdiesel
Regular Realmer

Postby Tim 121RVC » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:55 am

#6 Sight Unseen

It's time for new stuff.
Tim 121RVC
Inductee Realmer

Postby HeartBreakKid » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:03 pm

sight Unseen
Friendly neighborhood moderator-Any Questions,Concerns,Just looking to chat feel free to PM!
Official member of the Untouchable Customs Team .
HeartBreakKid
Regulator

Postby Green Skin » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:07 pm

Sight Unseen is the winner! Here's the next lot, and thanks go out to Patraw and sanmiquel.

#1 Projectile Warfare
Make a custom that incorporates some kind of projectile-firing action feature, either as part of the figure itself, or as an accessory. Any kind of projectile is acceptable, whether it be the typical missile or arrow, or something more exotic like vomit, just as long as whatever it is actually shoots. Likewise, the firing mechanism can be anything: Springs, rubber bands, air/water pressure--even those lame "flick with your finger" dealies are fair game.

#2 Fantastic Flora
For this challenge, the goal is to make any character that's an actual plant (in whole or part), someone who dresses up like one, or an individual that has plant-based super powers. Stuff like DC's Swamp Thing or Poison Ivy, Wheeled Warriors' Monster Minds, Inhumanoids' Tendril and Redwoods, Lord of the Rings Treebeard/Ents, etc. You can also design an original plant-like character if you like.

#3 Supporting Stars
This contest is for all the supporting characters that don't usually get any custom loving. For this contest just make a custom of a supporting character. For the purpose of this contest a supporting character is anyone that isn't a super hero, regularly appears in a title, and is not a main character. People like Foggy Nelson, Aunt May, Bulma, Ma & Pa Kent, Blind Al, Microchip and Granny Blake.

#4 Freebie Jeebies
Let's finally put those Happy Meal toys to good use! The purpose of this contest is to create a custom using only free toys. Store bought toys that you recieve for free do not count. Only toys that come in kids meals, included in cereal boxes, and things like that may be used. Small parts and joints from other toys may be spliced in but the end result must be made from at least 75% free toys. The subject matter for the entries is completely open as long as they are made with free parts.

#5 Museum of Curiosities
Make some kind of custom museum exhibit centered around the character of your choice. Think of stuff like an Iron Man suit in a glass case, the fossilized skeleton of Battle Cat, or the man-fly version of Baxter Stockman displayed in a box, pinned like a butterfly. Depending on what you choose to do, your entry could be a figure, a diorama, a collection of items/accessories, etc.

#6 Lone Wolves
Superman has the Justice League, Wolverine has the X-men, Iron Man has the Avengers and even Lex Luthor has the Legion of Doom....but what about all those people without a team? Some people just don't play well with others and this contest is all about them. To qualify for this contest a character cannot have a close association with any team. It's fine if they sometimes work with partners or if they've been on a team at some point, so long as they work alone most of the time. Think people like Punisher, Boba Fett, Samurai Jack, and Lobo.
Green Skin
Regulator

Postby Shinigami » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:11 pm

Punisher is a members of the Thunderbolts right now.

#5 sounds awesome.
Shinigami
Fanatic Realmer

Postby Green Skin » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:48 pm

Shinigami wrote:Punisher is a members of the Thunderbolts right now.

#5 sounds awesome.
#6 Lone Wolves
Superman has the Justice League, Wolverine has the X-men, Iron Man has the Avengers and even Lex Luthor has the Legion of Doom....but what about all those people without a team? Some people just don't play well with others and this contest is all about them. To qualify for this contest a character cannot have a close association with any team. It's fine if they sometimes work with partners or if they've been on a team at some point, so long as they work alone most of the time. Think people like Punisher, Boba Fett, Samurai Jack, and Lobo.

Covered that.
Green Skin
Regulator

PreviousNext

Return to Figure Realm News and Comments