figure reference thread?

Find out the latest news related to Figure Realm. You are encouraged to make any comments, suggestions or report any problems with the web site.

Moderator: Regulators

figure reference thread?

Postby ole jade jaw » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:55 pm

Cosmic and I are kinda thinking out a photo reference thread for the site. My thought is a thread where guys post pics of factory figs grouped together with an i.d. below. They will be loose figs. with no flash glare obscuring detail, and a brief character name and toy line. My priority will be newer, better sculpted items that we are looking for to use as custom bases. It would be ideal if other creators add to it with anything that isn't already shown. I like the idea of odd-ball, lesser known stuff with unique sculpt work (Neca, Mcfarlane ect...) and he may handle a lot of the ml line. The idea is to put a lot of photo reference in one place with no text between to help people come up with parts for projects. I'm thinking a few figures per pic, as to not chew up too much space with singles. We are hoping other's will add to the concept. If done right, this could be the most comprehensive single source of reference anywhere.
Once someone gets an idea for a match to what they are planning, they can then google away or check the archives here for more info on a particular figure. I know I'm not familiar with all that many different body shapes and styles so I think this will be a great addition to the realm. Now if we can just gitter done.
Anybody have any thoughts on this? Mods? Nobody thinks it would be a total waste of effort, right? Any feedback appreciated...
OJJ
ole jade jaw
Fanatic Realmer

Re: figure reference thread?

Postby Darththomas » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:16 am

Not too sure on this one bud. Figure realm already has quite a comprehensive section on the main site http://figurerealm.com/checklistwelcome.php. Now I realise not all characters have pictures but we do encourage people to send pictures if they can. Seems a good idea in principle I just don't know if it's worth the effort when we already have a pretty good source of reference here.
FaceBook Emlyn Darthomas Thomas
WIP viewtopic.php?f=25&t=25093
Darththomas
Regulator

Postby ole jade jaw » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:22 am

That's the debate right there D.T. If the checklist was pic based from the index, this would not have been a thought. The reason I came up with is that with the checklist the way it is, you either have to go through a long process of looking through tons of pages or kind of know what you are looking for. This thread would be a mass of pics in the same place. It would be a good starting point for planning new projects. I know that for me, one of the trickiest parts of the hobby is matching parts to characters. I still have'nt commited to it because I don't know if it is worth it, but would Coder or anybody else have an issue with it if we tried it? If the feed back was good, could it be stickied and stay around?
Then again, I may go eat some cheerios now and never think of this again... That does happen sometimes.
ole jade jaw
Fanatic Realmer

Postby Finn Varra » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:17 am

This is actually pretty good (http://figurerealm.com/checklistwelcome.php) but it would be better if you could browse it by other parameters. If we could search it by Toy company or year for example, that would be more useful IMHO. Right now you either have to know what your looking for, or spend a lot of time browsing, but if you could just pull up the stuff from SOTA or NECA that would save a lot of time and I would probably use that part of the site a lot more.

I haven't slept in a long while, so hopefully that made sense.
Finn Varra
Avid Realmer

Postby Finn Varra » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:17 am

This is actually pretty good (http://figurerealm.com/checklistwelcome.php) but it would be better if you could browse it by other parameters. If we could search it by Toy company or year for example, that would be more useful IMHO. Right now you either have to know what your looking for, or spend a lot of time browsing, but if you could just pull up the stuff from SOTA or NECA that would save a lot of time and I would probably use that part of the site a lot more.

I haven't slept in a long while, so hopefully that made sense.
Finn Varra
Avid Realmer

Postby Shinigami » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:20 am

Cool Toy Review has a gallery working this way: http://www.cooltoyreview.com/archive.asp
Shinigami
Fanatic Realmer

Postby leafman343 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:47 pm

What if we put together pictures of each "wave" of a toy line with a standardized scale behind them. An example would be like this but as a group photo: Image
leafman343
Fanatic Realmer

Postby shadow » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:00 pm

hi im a newbie and in need of a little help (i hope this is the right thread to post in).
i found this site on the hunt for a Kenner aliens figure guide/checklist (which was an exclent help, many thanks).
anyways i noticed that some figures on other lines needed photos, which id like to be able to help with.
sadly i am haveing trouble hosting the images on site.
when i try i get the little yellow triangle in the bottom/left corner of the windows bar and the error shows :-

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0;
.NET CLR 2.0.50727; InfoPath.2; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)

Timestamp: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 14:20:09 UTC

Line: 1

Char: 3876

Code: 0

Line: 1

Char: 825

Code: 0

if anybody can help with this problem i can help fill in quite a few missing figures (also figures not yet listed on the checklist too) or is there another why to send images ?
shadow
Inductee Realmer

Postby shadow » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:52 am

good news i tryed again this morning to host the photos and bobs yer uncle and fannys yer ant., worked first time !!
shadow
Inductee Realmer

Return to Figure Realm News and Comments