The One That Got Away...

Chat about your favorite figures from the past, get help figuring out the one guy's name from that one series, or tell your favorite childhood action figure story.

Moderator: Regulators

The One That Got Away...

Postby BurchCustoms » Fri May 01, 2009 9:16 pm

You ever have a toy as a kid that you got rid of or lost? One that you regret losing? One that you still miss?

Did you ever pass on buying something and you still regret it?

I was working at Toys R Us when they launched the Marvel Legends line. At the time i was collecting Star Wars figures so i passed. The bloody things sat on the shelf for months on end, and even though i have always been a marvel fan, i never bought. Now, they are about the only legends i don't own.

i passed up stealth iron man probably 15 times......

my brother has a better story though. living in salt lake city. one christmas, he had a huge gift. opened it to find the GI Joe USS Flagg (the aircraft carrier). he loved that thing. babied it like mad. it was the coolest thing we had ever owned. about a year later, we had to move to washington. we got to our new house. got all unpacked. it wasn't anywhere. we finally asked the parents.... they sold it before we left.... to a kid we hated.... for $10... i am not sure he has forgiven my mom for it yet.

any stories?
jakeb of Burch Customs
Vita mutatur, non tollitur

Trade List: viewtopic.php?t=19803

L.Roy's Art Page: http://lroyburch.deviantart.com/gallery/
BurchCustoms
Avid Realmer

Postby Top-notch comix » Fri May 01, 2009 9:23 pm

I used my punisher to make a custom for my friend... its a sucky made up character... he now wants me to make a new one with a skinnier build...
Top-notch comix
Realm of Famer

Postby Wesr » Fri May 01, 2009 9:34 pm

in 2005/2006 we were putting my grandma into an assisted living home and having an estate sale so we loaded a ton of crap to her house from ours that we didn't want (barely had room with all her crap). I didn't think about customizing at the time so i loaded up all my old toys. ID4 independence day figures, opened and unopened 90s xmen and others and what didn't sell got donated. about 20 figures and such in all. I did keep the giant alien from ID4 that opens up when you move, its at a friend's house waiting to be ebayed. Plus all the 80s toys i tore apart as a kid: Transformers, gi joe, original starwars toys from the movies. x.x
Wesr
Realminator

Postby Ghost of Tolkeen » Fri May 29, 2009 3:27 pm

When i went back to New Jersey to visit my friends etc, my aunt told me that down the road there was a garage sale and she swore that thier were "little monsters suits". I not thinking said I would go check it out later. I never went.
She comes to visit us in AZ and she see's my Battle Beast collection and says"yep, you missed that sale didnt ya,she had tons of these little guys,in boxes and everything."
I cried.... How could I be so stupid!!!!!!
That was ten years ago and I still kick myself. :?
Ghost of Tolkeen
Inductee Realmer

Postby bigdaddyscott » Fri May 29, 2009 4:02 pm

i remember as a kid seeing ALL the G1 transformers on sale at TRU. including Fort Max! to this day i can remember seeing it there, but i wanted Mego super heroes instead!!
bigdaddyscott
Avid Realmer

Postby bigassbuzz » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:03 am

Mattel's SHOGUN WARRIORS 24" robots.

I had Godzilla (freakin sweet), but those 'bots were too $$$ when I was too young.

I've since been collecting them in the 30+ nerd aftermarket.
And I thought they were expensive in 1978!
Sheesh.

bigassbuzz
Casual Realmer

Postby Wesr » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:26 am

lol most of my toys seem to fit into the 30+ nerd aftermarket. My current annoyance was passing up on TF Alternators when i had the chance. Especially Shockwave, Grimlock (the mustang) and Frenzy.
Wesr
Realminator

Postby GreenRanger1 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:46 am

I have so many regrets when looking back. Several figures I kick myself for not getting. Alot of times it was because I didnt have the money.

Here are a few.

Bionic Six, my parents punished me by not allowing me to have any of the toys!

My original Batmobile...my mom punished me by smashing it in front of me!

Even still I look on ebay for all those things I miss and if I have extra money Ill pick up stuff here and there. Ive been able to pick up several beetleborgs and three Tigersharks! :mrgreen:
GreenRanger1
Casual Realmer

Postby SnarfSnarf » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:45 am

There was a Magic/Bird one on one, but I wouldn't let my parents get it for me because it had Bird in it!
SnarfSnarf
Inductee Realmer

Postby Dagger » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:36 pm

My mom sold all my He-Man figures at an auction when I was a kid, because I didn't keep my room clean. is nice now that I think about it. I didn't take care of my toys the best so a lot of my GI Joe vehicles and figs are missing most of their accessories. So that is nice. That's what I get.

When Target MLs went clearance I saw two full peg boards and didn't get any, because I was out of town and thought I could get them back home. They didn't have any back home. stupid.
Dagger
Avid Realmer

Postby BurningDoom » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:14 pm

I have em all the time. I'm kind of a cheap-skate, so I often don't pick up things I want, then regret it later. I gotta win the lotto or something...Some that stick out in my head:

-The original Power Rangers' Zords. I mean just the plain old Power Rangers. Not Power Rangers space, or Power Rangers Jungle or whatever it is now. I really wanted the 2nd set of em, the ones that came out right after the original Dinozords, they were called Thunderzords. And the White Ranger's Tigerzord that came out at the same time. They all came-together to make 3 different Megazords!
-The Ghostbusters Ghost Trap. I wanted one soooo bad. Most kids my age were wishing for Power Wheels and Gameboys, but the Ghost Trap was my must-have toy, and I never got it. My mom was gonna get it too, I lived in the Bay Area at the time, and the Toys 'R Us near us was sold-out.
-Scarlet Spider. I mean the actual Scarlet Spider, not the Ben Reilly Spider-Man. I had the SOB in my hands at Toys 'R Us back in the day, but instead I saved my money for comics. Now it's quite pricey on EBay.

-Nate-
***CHECK OUT MY TRADE LIST***
Trade Movies, CDs, & Video Games at:
BurningDoom
Fanatic Realmer

Postby argenta-2008 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:15 pm

I have many regrets, but most of the figures I didn't buy when I was a kid now I have them. But there are some exceptions;

Water Blast Octopus from 1999 or so. I liked him very much, but when I had to choose between him and a blue and white Spiderman, I choosed the Spiderman as I liked him more and I thought there will be other opportunities to get it. I never saw it another time in toyshops, and the blue & white spiderman was there all the time... bad election.

BAF Apocalipsis. I could of buyed him for 20 $, but I haven't enough money and I thought that the auction would end very high. Mistake, it ended the same. Worst of all, I had another time my opportunity to buy him, now at 25 $, but I missed the auction. At first, simply I liked it, now, it's a must.

And there should be others, when I remember them I will post them ;) .
argenta-2008
Avid Realmer

Postby sweetburritos » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:15 pm

my dad smashed my entire collection of g1 transformers. I was so pissed I saved for year to buy 18 of them. To big to list. but man I miss them
sweetburritos
Regular Realmer

Postby Green Skin » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:23 am

Here's my worst toy related story ever. So I have 3 brothers and I'm the youngest so naturally I inherited all there old toys once they didn't want them any more. I'm talking Star Wars, GI Joe, Mask, and Transformers. I'm not talking like some of each, I'm talking like most of the toys from each line. I'm talking Death Star playset, AT AT, x wings, tie fighters, the carrying cases that looked like Vader and C3po. Tons of Transformers like Megatron, soundwave, contructicons, the 3 guys that made the camera, optimus, etc. We had sooo many of the Gi Joe figures and vehicles that it was unreal. Plus the like 15 mask people. We stored them in the basement and I went through a phase of not playing with them for awhile. SO what does my mom do? She threw them all out! Right in the trash!

I's feel a little better if she would have at least sold them, but nope. Sitting in a dump somewhere decaying. Still a little traumatic for me. :(
Green Skin
Regulator

Re: The One That Got Away...

Postby savage213king » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:32 pm

ok here is my story its quites sad but shows true luck and bravery.

My neighbor and I were playin with Jurassic Park toys. We had to move though cuz his dad was gettin ready to mow the lawn. we picked everything up (little did I know tht I had forgotten 2 figures, Deter Stark, and Nick Van Owen (Rare one). The lawn mower went over the spot we were at and to my horror poor nick was choped into pieces but he managed to be on top of Deter protecting him from the blades. I burried Nick tht night in my neighbors back yard. I was really sad tht he had to go but his sacrifice was not in vein cuz he managed to give his life to save Deter. tell me what u think, pm me with u thoughts.
Last edited by savage213king on Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
savage213king
Inductee Realmer

Next

Return to Figures of the Past