The One That Got Away...

Chat about your favorite figures from the past, get help figuring out the one guy's name from that one series, or tell your favorite childhood action figure story.

Moderator: Regulators

Re: The One That Got Away...

Postby JakkNewman » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:34 pm

My story goes back when the Kenner animated Batman series first debuted in '93. I was 7 at the time. I remember my Father taking me to the local Kay-Bee-Toy Works and I was told I could get two figures. I found Combat Belt Batman and snatched him up right away. Batman naturally needed an enemy to fight, and I had two to choose from; Two-Face or the Penguin. I already had a Batman Returns Penguin, so I opted out for Two-Face instead. Little did I know the headache I'd have for years and years after that to afford Pengers. It wasn't until just last week, at age 25, I was finally able to purchase my own BTAS Penguin. MOC for $10.50 on on' eBay. Quite the steal considering what he used to be valued at.
JakkNewman
Inductee Realmer

Location: Montvale, Virginia currently but I'm a former Yankee.

Postby A Common Enemy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:37 pm

ML6 Juggernaut and Deadpool. I remember walking into Walmart and there was a whole isle of them 20-30 of each figure from the series. And I got the Punisher.

"Feds come in pairs. Like buttcheeks."-Frank Castle
A Common Enemy
Elite Realmer

Postby mega_star_andro » Tue May 17, 2011 10:34 am

This weekend at a flea market I walked upon an old lady who had a huge lot of loose figures, mostly really good stuff, I told her Id be back to get what I wanted after I visited my friends store. When I came back the Spawn figure that I wanted was in this little kid's hands...I waited around till he put it down so I could grab it but unfortunatley his dad appeared outta nowhere and bought it for him....smh, i was pissed but I was too late, anyways I got a few figs for $1 each so it wasn't so bad.
andro6657 on youtube and ebay
andro6657 customso-n-collectables on Facebook
mega_star_andro
Regular Realmer

Postby xysma » Thu May 19, 2011 2:01 pm

Mine seems to be mostly stuff I know I had that I can't find and have no idea where it could've gone... I remember my brothers and I had a bunch of Spiral Zone and Sectaurs stuff, those were the coolest. I'm down to 3 Spiral Zone figures now, but I've got the harnesses for 5 or 6 more figures... no idea where the figures went. when I was real little (probably 5 years old, circa 1978) I had a Mego Hulk that I carried around like other kids carry around a woobie or a teddie bear or something, there's tons of pictures with me holding it... anyway it's long gone too. As far as passing something up, I remember holding AD&D figures in my grimy litle hands at the Kay Bee toys in the old Mall of Memphis (I get sad just thinking about that place, it was SOOOO awesome in the 80's, now it's completely gone) and putting them back for something else... probably GI Joe. More recently, I didn't get the Boba Fett Unleashed figure when I had the chance because I was with my wife when I found it and she was bitching about me buying toys, so I put it back.... now it's the only one I really wanted that I don't have. ](*,)
xysma
Casual Realmer

Postby xysma » Thu May 19, 2011 2:03 pm

Oh yeah... I didn't buy any of the Ghost Rider movie toys... and I passed on the Young Avengers box set. I really regret that, but at the time there were so many Marvel Legends coming out, something had to go.
xysma
Casual Realmer

Postby Leviathan » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:15 pm

The ones that got away for me are the DC Comics Pocket Heroes Line. In the early 2000s I saw them at my local collector time and time again during their run and continued to pass them up because the $9.95 price tag was a bit much for two figures that had little articulation. Now in 2011 here I am trying to find them all because I just think they are awesome because of their limited articulation and the fact that they are DC heroes. I regret not getting them back then.
"It's Crime Fighting Time."
Leviathan
Casual Realmer

Postby Galactape » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:44 am

I put down a Marvel legends Juggernaut for 5 bucks at KB toys before it closed [smilie=grrrrrr.gif] I still regret it
Galactape
Realm of Famer

Postby Tim 121RVC » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:12 am

I sold my classic MOTU Skeletor + Panthor to my brother. Still regret that a little today, but since I know he's in good hands (my brother won't throw it away or sell it) I can live with it.
Tim 121RVC
Inductee Realmer

Postby countmall » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:37 pm

I recently was almost able to buy a near-mint Super Nintendo, working, in the box with everything for $30. Unfortunately someone beat me to it... oh well. :-({|=
countmall
Newbie Realmer

Postby Darth_Noxid » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:04 am

Luckily I have never lost any action figures as a child. I had Master of the Universe, Thundercats, The A-Team (most of them fell apart) and I did get rid of the small figure play set and the van. When I moved house when I was 16, I found all my old MotU figures and Tcats....and I wished I had left them in the attic as being 16, I didnt care much for them. One by one most have been lost or been damaged and I have lost Lion-o, Mummra and Panthro with his accessories. I do have the headresss of Mummy ra and the sword of omens of Lion-O. However, I also collected Lord of the Rings and not getting the line when they were cleared at Tr Us. However, fellow collectors, ebay is king! Have picked up so much. Now, if I can afford it, I get it, take a gamble and enjoy it, even if it is a duplicate.

Ones I do regret are not getting more of Star Wars when a pound shop were selling them off for a £1 a piece.
Darth_Noxid
Newbie Realmer

Postby therapist » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:26 pm

I regret letting a Scary Tales Alice variant pass me by for 7$ :( such a fool!
"Untouchable Customs"
therapist
Realm of Famer

Postby thejado101 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:00 am

Bidding on a shield agent/hand ninja two pack, goes from £20 to £30 but I'm still determined! Was beat £31 in the last second. ](*,) [smilie=grrrrrr.gif] [smilie=grrrrrr.gif]
thejado101
Avid Realmer

Postby thejado101 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:04 am

I also remember the time my grandma took all my Smc's and ML's (yes all) to the hospital and donated them to the children's ward. I asked her why she did it and just replied; 'your too old to be playing with toys anyway'. Made 25 kids happy so Im not angry......much... [smilie=grrrrrr.gif]
thejado101
Avid Realmer

Postby Galactape » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:00 am

thejado101 wrote:I also remember the time my grandma took all my Smc's and ML's (yes all) to the hospital and donated them to the children's ward. I asked her why she did it and just replied; 'your too old to be playing with toys anyway'. Made 25 kids happy so Im not angry......much... [smilie=grrrrrr.gif]

Wow! Thats really harsh, I hope there was no Deadpool in their!
Galactape
Realm of Famer

Postby thejado101 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:00 pm

Thank god there wasnt. But there was a juggernaut, SMC Venom, ml doc ock and an ml black panther. [smilie=grrrrrr.gif]
thejado101
Avid Realmer

PreviousNext

Return to Figures of the Past