under appreciated toy runs

Chat about your favorite figures from the past, get help figuring out the one guy's name from that one series, or tell your favorite childhood action figure story.

Moderator: Regulators

under appreciated toy runs

Postby Pock63 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:32 pm

I'm curios what some toy runs are that you guys know of that I might not even have heard of. Back in the golden age of action figures a lot of pretty cool toys got lost in the flow. I started thinking about this after reconnecting with my love for the food fighter toy run, I forgot how cool those guys were!!! They were a funky idea and had a tone of detail in the sculpts(although the paint was a bit lacking)
You'll be lucky if you're one of the few to find someone who can tolerate you.
Pock63
Realm Addict

Re: under appreciated toy runs

Postby Darththomas » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:54 am

Sectaurs, those were some awesome figures, ball jointed hips and shoulders and the insects were awesome, especially the glove ones.
FaceBook Emlyn Darthomas Thomas
WIP viewtopic.php?f=25&t=25093
Darththomas
Regulator

Postby Pock63 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:38 am

Darththomas wrote:Sectaurs, those were some awesome figures, ball jointed hips and shoulders and the insects were awesome, especially the glove ones.

I had one of those as a kid but never knew what it was, it was one of those cool mystery figures I would play with a lot!
Pock63
Realm Addict

Postby Patraw » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:05 am

Man-Tech Robot Warriors (by Remco, I think) from mid 80s were awesome. They were cyborg type guys with completely interchangeable body parts and weapons. I had Aqua-Tech and Doom-Tech, and my younger brother had Solar-Tech. There were three good guys, three villains, some vehicles, and a play set. In retrospect, they're not the most amazing toys or anything, but I always enjoyed them.

http://www.virtualtoychest.com/m/mantech/mantech.html

I also agree that Sectaurs were awesome. I only had a loose General Spidrax when I was a kid, and, somehow or another, a couple of wingless (those things were brittle!) glow-in-the-dark firefly mini bugs (the one that came with Night Fighter Dargon).
Patraw
Elite Realmer

Postby Pock63 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:12 pm

Patraw wrote:Man-Tech Robot Warriors (by Remco, I think) from mid 80s were awesome. They were cyborg type guys with completely interchangeable body parts and weapons. I had Aqua-Tech and Doom-Tech, and my younger brother had Solar-Tech. There were three good guys, three villains, some vehicles, and a play set. In retrospect, they're not the most amazing toys or anything, but I always enjoyed them.

http://www.virtualtoychest.com/m/mantech/mantech.html

I also agree that Sectaurs were awesome. I only had a loose General Spidrax when I was a kid, and, somehow or another, a couple of wingless (those things were brittle!) glow-in-the-dark firefly mini bugs (the one that came with Night Fighter Dargon).

I've never heard of the man tech robot warriors before, those are pretty cool! I've always been attracted to any toys with changeable body parts which is why X-Evoz are my favorite toys ever!
Pock63
Realm Addict

Postby Darththomas » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:14 am

Those robots look like tons of fun, I also have an affinity with exchangeable parts. Modulok was one of my favorite MOTU because of all the different ways you could make him, and socket poppers were tons of fun too, something satisfying about dressing a dinosaur in punk clothing.

How about Manta Force and Zero hour (code zero stateside), loved these things
http://www.mantaforce.co.uk/Collection/Manta.html

http://smallscaleworld.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... -code.html
FaceBook Emlyn Darthomas Thomas
WIP viewtopic.php?f=25&t=25093
Darththomas
Regulator

Postby Patraw » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:29 am

I never owned any Xevos, but they're definitely cool toys that I really should have picked up when they came out.

Never heard of, or seen, those Manta Force or Zero Hour lines. That big Manta Force ship reminds me of MOTU Starship Eternia though.

Blackstar was a neat sort-of ripoff of MOTU. I had Tongo the Leopard Man and Kadray the Invincible Wizard (however, I have serious suspicions that he wasn't anywhere near as skilled at magic as his wizard title implies, simply because his weapon of choice was a huge bazooka--definitely not standard issue for a spellcaster). I think I liked the unarticulated Alien Demon mini figures that came with the bad guys more than anything else, and they came in a rainbow of colors to boot (in later years, they eventually became the "goblins" that ran my younger brother's "weapon shop" for his other toys). Not satisfied with keeping his artistic inclinations confined to his D&D miniatures, I remember my older brother painted all the tips of my glow-in-the-dark Blackstar weapons silver, along with the Alien Demon's nails, without asking my permission, which, being an anal-retentive fellow about keeping my toys in their original condition, even at that young age, pissed me off.

http://www.virtualtoychest.com/blackstar/blackstar.html
Patraw
Elite Realmer

Postby Wesr » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:47 pm

Dinoriders were really kind of ignored back in the 80s, i mean i think the cartoon lasted maybe one season. There were a ton of good toy series that didn't get much love but in the 80s if you didn't have a cartoon or comic it was hard to get noticed.
Wesr
Realminator

Postby Patraw » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:24 am

I remember watching the Dinoriders cartoon, and even seeing an ad for the show in a Marvel comic book. I never had any of the toys, but they were definitely cool.
Patraw
Elite Realmer

Postby Pock63 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:04 am

Wesr wrote:Dinoriders were really kind of ignored back in the 80s, i mean i think the cartoon lasted maybe one season. There were a ton of good toy series that didn't get much love but in the 80s if you didn't have a cartoon or comic it was hard to get noticed.

Who doesn't love Dinosaurs with guns mounted on there backs ridden by aliens? :) Dinoriders are my brothers all time favorite toy run so all the ones I find go to him.
Pock63
Realm Addict

Return to Figures of the Past