Yay, I got a dremel

Need help getting your custom completed? Looking for your next idea? Do you need some new tips or suggestions to complete your project? Come chat with us!

Moderator: Regulators

Yay, I got a dremel

Postby Dr Nightmare » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:37 pm

Please do not ask by what insiduous means I happen to have obtained it :badgrin:

So I started playing around with it and thought I'd make a quick custom of whatever. That's when I realized how obsolete I've made this thing. I've had to make customs without a dremel for so long that there's not much use I have for it! It will come in handy for opening up figures' bodies though, and if it can do that without massive damage then it'll be worth it :mrgreen: I

I'm still not sure if I got a good deal on it though. It's a cordless Series 770 7.2V Dremel with two speeds (10000-20000 RPM). It came with a 1/8'' quick-change collet and 50 accessories (mostly cutting/grinding disks) and a carry bag. All for around 35 bucks.

So first off, is 20000rpm good enough for most customs? Do I need to buy more collets? How much are they? I bought a little Dremel drill-pack with 6 sizes of bits but 4 of the little ones are too thin to lock in the collet.

Also, have any of you tried putting a CD on the dremel and letting it fly at full-speed? Could that sever a finger? :lol:
Dr Nightmare
Realminator

Postby Shinobitron » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:15 pm

Thats was a very good deal the accessories are about 3-7 $ each alone. Beleive me you will use it, I live by the thing. As far as power goes mine is the lower than yours and you've seen how my stuff comes out (shameless plug). have fun and experiment with it.
Shinobitron
Regulator

Postby Dr Nightmare » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:38 pm

Yay. 8)

I'm going to try out the little precision engraver thing on hard sculpey to see what it does.
Dr Nightmare
Realminator

Re: Yay, I got a dremel

Postby VariablePenguin » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:18 am

Dr Nightmare wrote:Do I need to buy more collets? How much are they? I bought a little Dremel drill-pack with 6 sizes of bits but 4 of the little ones are too thin to lock in the collet.

I have that drill set too. You need an adjustable collet. I can't remember how much mine cost, but it works like on a real drill and has the three little pieces that squeeze together to grab the bit.
VariablePenguin
Elite Realmer

Postby Dr Nightmare » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:50 am

Yes, that would be what I need 8)

Although I have a feeling it's going to cost more than I expect...and I'm broke :!:
Dr Nightmare
Realminator

Return to Custom Help / Questions / Info