just some tips...

Need help getting your custom completed? Looking for your next idea? Do you need some new tips or suggestions to complete your project? Come chat with us!

Moderator: Regulators

just some tips...

Postby CAb00se » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:27 pm

1. sliced glue sticks make perfect circles/disks
2. metallic + color = metallic color (paint)
3. flex rex can be used for outlines on costumes - it is really cheap too
4. americana and martha stewart paints are worth buying, especially for colors you use a lot of-- black, white, primary colors...i use americana flat black on every custom i make ( as a base/primer)
5. action figure junk yard is a great place for fodder
6. a good way to take pics (if you dont have a fancy set up) is on your stove, especialy if you have a light built into the hood.
7. dollar store toys have perfect 6" scale weapons
8. plumber's tape works well for wrapping wrists and shins, and takes paint really well.
9. invest in those little alcohol pads, you know the kind the Dr. use before he gives you a shot...Two pads will thoroughly scrub down a fig and (usually) make them paint ready, without the scrubbing with soap and water and waiting for figs to dry.
10. old x mas (glass bulbs) ornament packaging works really well for a paint tray...all the bulb slots are like little bowls to mix in!
11. the packages of sparkly confetti shapes (stars, crosses, hearts etc...) sold at craft stores, works really well for small details on figs...like say the stars on Lobo's knee pads ...

Nothing revolutionary here...just some things I have found helped out along the way...if you have any tips go ahead and post them...lets keep it going! if this already exists...my bad...
Thanks CAboose
CAb00se
Regular Realmer

Re: just some tips...

Postby stitches » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:02 pm

Thanks for the tips , Fully agree with 7,8 and 11but the best place to get random fodder are car boot sales or school fairs
stitches
Casual Realmer

Postby CAb00se » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:36 pm

burtonp wrote:Thanks for the tips , Fully agree with 7,8 and 11but the best place to get random fodder are car boot sales or school fairs

agreed, but i never claimed that action figure junkyard was the best. it is a great website with cheap prices on figure fodder parts...
CAb00se
Regular Realmer

Postby Galactape » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:59 pm

burtonp wrote:Thanks for the tips , Fully agree with 7,8 and 11but the best place to get random fodder are car boot sales or school fairs

Don't forget about yardsales!
Galactape
Realm of Famer

Postby terryzom » Thu May 03, 2012 9:40 pm

Totally agree about the DecoArt Americana paints. Tip #1 is ingenious! So obvious for such a difficult task. I use varying sizes of pen/marker caps to "stamp out" circles of sculpt for very solid stuff, but your method is *perfect* if the consistency doesn't need to be that dense--going to use it now, thanks!
terryzom
Avid Realmer

Postby CAb00se » Fri May 04, 2012 7:35 pm

terryzom wrote:Totally agree about the DecoArt Americana paints. Tip #1 is ingenious! So obvious for such a difficult task. I use varying sizes of pen/marker caps to "stamp out" circles of sculpt for very solid stuff, but your method is *perfect* if the consistency doesn't need to be that dense--going to use it now, thanks!

cool man!
CAb00se
Regular Realmer

Postby ole jade jaw » Sat May 05, 2012 6:43 am

Nice compilation of info buddy. What's flex rex?
T
ole jade jaw
Fanatic Realmer

Postby CAb00se » Sat May 05, 2012 1:44 pm

ole jade jaw wrote:Nice compilation of info buddy. What's flex rex?
T

flex rex is like flat plastic string, kids use it to make jewelry . ever have one of those plastic braided key chains? that is flex rex... it comes in spools and it has 100 different uses in customizing and comes in dozens of colors.
CAb00se
Regular Realmer

Postby ole jade jaw » Sun May 06, 2012 2:02 pm

Ah! I actually have and use that. I just didn't recognize the name. That's what Skaar's bindings are made of.
Thanks
T
ole jade jaw
Fanatic Realmer

Postby terryzom » Sun May 06, 2012 4:11 pm

Oh, I meant to add to the yard sales comment (which BTW landed my son a Super Powers Batmobile once--EPIC--along with a bunch of old Batman figs)... Goodwill, Salvation Army and other consignment shops are a win too. You can find all kinds of good stuff.
terryzom
Avid Realmer

Postby Galactape » Sun May 06, 2012 4:15 pm

terryzom wrote:Oh, I meant to add to the yard sales comment (which BTW landed my son a Super Powers Batmobile once--EPIC--along with a bunch of old Batman figs)... Goodwill, Salvation Army and other consignment shops are a win too. You can find all kinds of good stuff.

You should see my Salvation army, they don't put out action figures because they are worried about led content. They just get rid of em, I know they get them too, I looked in the backroom, and they have literally moving boxes and rubbermaids full of action figures. Pretty sad actually.
Galactape
Realm of Famer

Postby terryzom » Sun May 06, 2012 4:43 pm

Galactape wrote:
terryzom wrote:Oh, I meant to add to the yard sales comment (which BTW landed my son a Super Powers Batmobile once--EPIC--along with a bunch of old Batman figs)... Goodwill, Salvation Army and other consignment shops are a win too. You can find all kinds of good stuff.

You should see my Salvation army, they don't put out action figures because they are worried about led content. They just get rid of em, I know they get them too, I looked in the backroom, and they have literally moving boxes and rubbermaids full of action figures. Pretty sad actually.
Oh, dang, that does bite. At least your TRU makes up for it Galact!
terryzom
Avid Realmer

Postby Galactape » Sun May 06, 2012 4:52 pm

terryzom wrote:Oh, dang, that does bite. At least your TRU makes up for it Galact!

It did before they stopped carrying ML's.
Galactape
Realm of Famer

Postby bobtheodd » Sun May 06, 2012 5:31 pm

Galactape wrote:You should see my Salvation army, they don't put out action figures because they are worried about led content. They just get rid of em, I know they get them too, I looked in the backroom, and they have literally moving boxes and rubbermaids full of action figures. Pretty sad actually.

So what are they doing with them?
bobtheodd
Elite Realmer

Postby Galactape » Sun May 06, 2012 5:34 pm

bobtheodd wrote:
Galactape wrote:You should see my Salvation army, they don't put out action figures because they are worried about led content. They just get rid of em, I know they get them too, I looked in the backroom, and they have literally moving boxes and rubbermaids full of action figures. Pretty sad actually.

So what are they doing with them?

Dumping them in the nearest trash can. And no, I am not joking.
Galactape
Realm of Famer

Next

Return to Custom Help / Questions / Info