Gold Paint

Need help getting your custom completed? Looking for your next idea? Do you need some new tips or suggestions to complete your project? Come chat with us!

Moderator: Regulators

Gold Paint

Postby Darth Veach » Wed May 30, 2012 8:37 pm

What gold paint do you guys like to use on your custom figures? I see a lot of customs in the showcase that have really nice gold paintjobs and I am wondering what brands people here like to use. And I am talking about straight gold paint, not the clear yellow over top of silver.
Darth Veach
Inductee Realmer

Re: Gold Paint

Postby Patraw » Thu May 31, 2012 8:30 am

I think most people do the transparent yellow over silver, but I use the Folk Art brand gold paint--there's a warning on the label that exposure can cause liver/kidney damage though, so be careful with it.
Patraw
Elite Realmer

Postby claytonemery » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:44 am

Testors makes a great set of metal paints: gold, silver, copper, brass, rust, aluminum and steel. I use them but in very thin coats. They have a lot of surface tension so tend to hump up. You need to smooth them flat and add many thin coats. Search for my golden Iron Man figure in the Customs area. You can also mix and match the multiple layers, say adding one coat of brass or silver between gold layers to darken or lighten. Plus Testor's paints are cheap.
claytonemery
Newbie Realmer

Postby Purity » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:01 pm

The brand is Golden Artist Colors. Acryilic paint. The name of the color is Iridescent Bright Gold. Used it for the gold details on a knight sculpture and it's the perfect gold I wanted. Not at all like that dark, shiny brown, typically seen in colored pencils. But more of that yellow-like metallic, rich golden color. It's a great gold.
Purity
Avid Realmer

Return to Custom Help / Questions / Info