Brand new customizer seeks a little advice and guidance

Need help getting your custom completed? Looking for your next idea? Do you need some new tips or suggestions to complete your project? Come chat with us!

Moderator: Regulators

Brand new customizer seeks a little advice and guidance

Postby Conormacmillen » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:07 am

Hello all,
I am just making the move to figure customizing from tabletop miniature painting. My son was born a week ago and I really love the idea of him one day playing with toys I worked on. I decided that the main project I want to build for him is a steampunk airship playset and a set of original characters for the crew. It is in regards to the crew figures that I am coming to you all for advice and suggestions. I am going to be using 3 3/4 scale figures, as this is what I grew up with, and feel most action figure-y to me. Here are my questions.

Are 25th anniversary and 30th anniversary GI Joes compatible with Marvel Universe figures?

Any suggestions on figures to keep an eye out for that would easily work as a base for my steampunk airship crew? I am trying to get my hands on a 30th anniversary Zanzibar to be the base for my airship captain.

Any advice on good steampunk fittings and accessories for 3 3/4 scale?

Thank you all for your time and advice in advance.
Conormacmillen
Newbie Realmer

Re: Brand new customizer seeks a little advice and guidance

Postby claytonemery » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:29 am

>steampunk airship playset

Believe it or not, but I found an old SuperSoaker squirt gun at the swap shop that has all the convoluted curves and swoops a steamship vehicle would need. And it has clear-purple cutouts for windows! I'm adapting it as a Martian battleship for a John Carter model. Old Nerf guns might work too.

For that matter, were there any toys for the John Carter flop? (I enjoyed the movie, BTW, and so did my sweetie.)

You should be able to find cheap GOLDEN COMPASS stuff too. The vehicles are steampunky.

>Any suggestions on figures to keep an eye out for that would easily work as a base for my steampunk airship crew?

There are lots of cheap Star Wars figures you can buy on eBay that come direct from China. They come in batches of five, like five identical AT-AT commanders for $9.99. There are LOTS, so you can probably find good candidates.

>Any advice on good steampunk fittings and accessories for 3 3/4 scale?

Wander a hardware store or Home Depot. Various electrical assembly kits should provide what you need.

Also try to find obsolete microwaves or other appliances and rip them apart. All kinds of wires and coils and what-nots fall out.

That should get you started.
claytonemery
Newbie Realmer

Return to Custom Help / Questions / Info