What can I use to custom make chainmail or scale mail?

Need help getting your custom completed? Looking for your next idea? Do you need some new tips or suggestions to complete your project? Come chat with us!

Moderator: Regulators

What can I use to custom make chainmail or scale mail?

Postby larryhagmansliver » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:45 am

Hi folks,
Stumbled across this site and I thought I would as a question for some customizing I wish to do.
Any suggestions on the topic?
larryhagmansliver
Newbie Realmer

Re: What can I use to custom make chainmail or scale mail?

Postby Quay » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:19 pm

You're best bet is probably to sculpt it. It's not nearly as hard as you'd imagine, it's really just using a single motion over and over again.
This guy has a pretty good tutorial on how to do chainmail:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxtlYyiqX5o
This girl has a good scale mail tutorial. Starts about 7 minutes in: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr7wBp43Abs
Quay
Inductee Realmer

Postby Patraw » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:55 am

Scale mail can be done pretty easily, albeit tediously, by attaching layers of small scale shapes to the figure (not much different than making scales on a fish or reptile really.) You could use small pieces of foam sheet, cardboard, etc.--any type of flat shape will work.

Chainmail is probably best sculpted--making the real deal is VERY time consuming and tedious. A chainmail texture stamp would probably be the fastest route (find a figure that already has chainmail, press a small glob of clay/epoxy or whatever onto it, to get the impression, let it dry/harden, then use that to stamp the pattern into the clay/epoxy on the figure you're customizing.)
Patraw
Elite Realmer

Postby Patraw » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:24 am

Another option that I thought of is that there are some fabrics that kind of look like chainmail, usually black stuff with silvery thread woven into it. I know I've seen some sixth-scale medievel figures wearing it as an approximation for chainmail and it doesn't look half bad.
Patraw
Elite Realmer

Postby Automatauntaun » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:58 pm

for scale, just patients and sculpt, with the right tools. For chain mail, a wire mesh strainer cut and pressed over a thin amount of half dried sculpt. Works pretty good.
Sanjuro4 did it on his rikimaru

http://www.figurerealm.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=40258

give ti a shot, i found a cheap one made of plastic for a buck at the local dollar store.
Automatauntaun
Elite Realmer

Return to Custom Help / Questions / Info