Chipped paint/damaged figure Help

Need help getting your custom completed? Looking for your next idea? Do you need some new tips or suggestions to complete your project? Come chat with us!

Moderator: Regulators

Chipped paint/damaged figure Help

Postby citizenhawk » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:10 pm

One of my DCUC figures has the paint(or part of the actual nose) chipped off so that it looks like there's a small hole at the tip of its nose. What is a good way to fix this? Obviously i'm not very experienced at toy customization/repair. Thanks.
citizenhawk
Inductee Realmer
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: Chipped paint/damaged figure Help

Postby Pock63 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:13 pm

What dcuc figure is it, and can you post a picture of how extensive the damage is?
You'll be lucky if you're one of the few to find someone who can tolerate you.
Image
User avatar
Pock63
Realm Addict
 
Posts: 3871
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:58 am

Re: Chipped paint/damaged figure Help

Postby citizenhawk » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:45 pm

It's really pretty minor as far as damage goes but it's a pretty annoyingly glaring imperfection when you look at his face close up. I was thinking maybe if i paint over that little spot it'll hide it well enough but i don't know what kind of paint or how to make sure it's the same color tone as the toy. It's a dcuc aquaman, i'll try to get a good picture of it later and post it.
citizenhawk
Inductee Realmer
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: Chipped paint/damaged figure Help

Postby ole jade jaw » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:11 am

If touching it up is a longshot, see if anybody has the head for trade. Maybe you can get another for a couple of bucks and swap it. It might be worth it instead of buying paint and attempting to match it. There are a few guys with a lot of heads on their lists.
ole jade jaw
Fanatic Realmer
 
Posts: 615
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:01 pm

Re: Chipped paint/damaged figure Help

Postby Pock63 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:54 pm

ole jade jaw wrote:If touching it up is a longshot, see if anybody has the head for trade. Maybe you can get another for a couple of bucks and swap it. It might be worth it instead of buying paint and attempting to match it. There are a few guys with a lot of heads on their lists.


I think that's a great idea because paints are going to cost you more then a new head would :)
You'll be lucky if you're one of the few to find someone who can tolerate you.
Image
User avatar
Pock63
Realm Addict
 
Posts: 3871
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:58 am

Re: Chipped paint/damaged figure Help

Postby citizenhawk » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:21 pm

Oh cool, I'll try that. Is the "trading post" section where you go to do this?
citizenhawk
Inductee Realmer
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: Chipped paint/damaged figure Help

Postby Pock63 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:29 pm

citizenhawk wrote:Oh cool, I'll try that. Is the "trading post" section where you go to do this?


Yeah, that's the place :)
You'll be lucky if you're one of the few to find someone who can tolerate you.
Image
User avatar
Pock63
Realm Addict
 
Posts: 3871
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:58 am

Re: Chipped paint/damaged figure Help

Postby terryzom » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:45 pm

This happens sometimes when they take the parts out of the mold I think. Honestly if it's small, I wouldn't worry about it. My Giant-Man BAF has that issue with the tip of its nose and as you might imagine, that scale makes it seem a lot bigger to me, but if you looked at it you probably wouldn't even notice without close inspection--that's just how many of us get with our own pieces! The only reason I've considered repainting it is to do an alternate costume. His right antenna also had this problem but it was more noticeable dark on light so I touched that up with Citadel Skull White.

If it's bothering you that much and you do decide to touch it up, fleshtones can be tough to match, so plan to repaint these areas completely with your mix if you can't get a close enough. Paint an old crummy figure or similar piece of plastic fodder to get an idea what your mix will look like once applied. Dilute your paints with a wet brush or a few drops of water when painting skin and carefully cover the areas for a smooth look. In the end, if you screw it all up, you can just pop the head off and soak it in Acetone (with caution!) for a few minutes and scrub off the paint using an old toothbrush (with caution!!) then buy yourself that new head--you'll wind up with a clean plastic head from the failed attempt that you can use to resculpt for future use 8)
User avatar
terryzom
Avid Realmer
 
Posts: 351
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:28 pm

Re: Chipped paint/damaged figure Help

Postby RedRebelCustoms » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:54 am

If you were to attempt a repaint or touch up. Drfinately practice on an old figure and let dry for at least 24 hours. Dulute the paint to a milky consistency first. The color of Aquaman is a bronzed or tan fleshtone. If you are mixing colors with flesh to lighten generally use a lighter flesh or white. To darken a tan fleshtone you'd use a slightly darker flesh tone, red, or orange. Remeber to only mix a drop at a time. Especially when darkening a color as dark pigment tends to be harder to lighten. If mixing flesh from scratch, mix a drop of red and white till you get a light pink. Then mix a drop of yellow and it will turn a peach color. Drop a dot of green and it should be flesh. Add white if it's too dark. Add the darker colors a little at a time if it becomes to light. In lieu of green you can use a brown shade similar to burnt sienna. Lighter tanned fleshtones usually add an orange or more red and yellow. Acrylic model paints are what is used in a custom generally and has several flesh tones. Sculptures, such as Bowen Statues, are often done with a vinylic animation cell paint. Thus has very good adherence and a similar consis :D tency to factory paints. If you want to match a color and will be mixing- you can take a photo of the head in the daylight, use a color select tool on a program like photoshop, or gimp if you need a freeware, then it will give you the equivalent if a percentage of each color that went into producing that particular tone, tint, or shade. Hope some of that was useful!
REDREBELCUSTOMS
User avatar
RedRebelCustoms
Elite Realmer
 
Posts: 1349
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Chipped paint/damaged figure Help

Postby RedRebelCustoms » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:57 am

Oh, I firgot. if you use acrylic be sure to use a matte or satin finish. Depending on your preference. Some people use a satin and spray a layer of matte over it to achieve the desired finished effect.
REDREBELCUSTOMS
User avatar
RedRebelCustoms
Elite Realmer
 
Posts: 1349
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Chipped paint/damaged figure Help

Postby ole jade jaw » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:52 pm

RedRebelCustoms wrote:If you were to attempt a repaint or touch up. Drfinately practice on an old figure and let dry for at least 24 hours. Dulute the paint to a milky consistency first. The color of Aquaman is a bronzed or tan fleshtone. If you are mixing colors with flesh to lighten generally use a lighter flesh or white. To darken a tan fleshtone you'd use a slightly darker flesh tone, red, or orange. Remeber to only mix a drop at a time. Especially when darkening a color as dark pigment tends to be harder to lighten. If mixing flesh from scratch, mix a drop of red and white till you get a light pink. Then mix a drop of yellow and it will turn a peach color. Drop a dot of green and it should be flesh. Add white if it's too dark. Add the darker colors a little at a time if it becomes to light. In lieu of green you can use a brown shade similar to burnt sienna. Lighter tanned fleshtones usually add an orange or more red and yellow. Acrylic model paints are what is used in a custom generally and has several flesh tones. Sculptures, such as Bowen Statues, are often done with a vinylic animation cell paint. Thus has very good adherence and a similar consis :D tency to factory paints. If you want to match a color and will be mixing- you can take a photo of the head in the daylight, use a color select tool on a program like photoshop, or gimp if you need a freeware, then it will give you the equivalent if a percentage of each color that went into producing that particular tone, tint, or shade. Hope some of that was useful!


Yeeeaahhh.... Like I said, just buy another one....... :lol:
ole jade jaw
Fanatic Realmer
 
Posts: 615
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:01 pm


Return to Custom Help / Questions / Info

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests