Apoxie Sculpt Consistency

Need help getting your custom completed? Looking for your next idea? Do you need some new tips or suggestions to complete your project? Come chat with us!

Moderator: Regulators

Apoxie Sculpt Consistency

Postby son of jigsaw » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:23 pm

I want to apply some Aves Sculpt to a figure, but certain parts are made of that slightly softer plastic. I may need to use the boil and pop method at some point but Im worried that if I do, the plastic will go soft while the scupt stays hard and cracks off...

Is there any way to make Aves cure to a slightly softer state? Like if I add a little more of part A (white stuff) than B, will it be slightly softer when it hardens?
son of jigsaw
Regular Realmer

Re: Apoxie Sculpt Consistency

Postby Pock63 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:55 pm

as far as I know there is no way to do this, you could buy some "green stuff" though that cures with bendable consistency.
You'll be lucky if you're one of the few to find someone who can tolerate you.
Pock63
Realm Addict

Postby son of jigsaw » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:55 pm

darn...

Yes, I have some of the green stuff. Unfortunately it's like trying to mold peanut butter... Not good for rigid shapes like armour.
son of jigsaw
Regular Realmer

Postby Pock63 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:01 pm

son of jigsaw wrote:darn...

Yes, I have some of the green stuff. Unfortunately it's like trying to mold peanut butter... Not good for rigid shapes like armour.

I've heard the bendable sculpty works ok, maybe that would work for you.
You'll be lucky if you're one of the few to find someone who can tolerate you.
Pock63
Realm Addict

Postby son of jigsaw » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:38 am

I've never heard of bendable sculpty... I'll look into it, thanks!
son of jigsaw
Regular Realmer

Postby RedRebelCustoms » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:15 am

Bendable sculpey like any other can be boil cured but is much harder ti get details in. Boil and pop should be done before you sculpt. Aves Fixit sculpt has a longer work time, is easier to use, and can hild shape much better than apoxie IMHO. Also bendable sculpey can break down over time. I've heard in as little as 2 years. Boiling plastic does make it soft though and heating the polymers can potentially cause any sculpt material to lift from the figure. Your best bet with or without Fixit, using Apoxie, which, is a good product BTW, is to use a blow dryer to heat the part in 30-45 second intervals and pull in the direction of the joint to avoid tearing it. You may need to heat and check a few times if it is a larger figure but the blow dryer shouldn't heat the sculpt enough to loosen it from the figure. :D
REDREBELCUSTOMS
RedRebelCustoms
Elite Realmer

Return to Custom Help / Questions / Info