Super Skrull/Ben Grim

Need help getting your custom completed? Looking for your next idea? Do you need some new tips or suggestions to complete your project? Come chat with us!

Moderator: Regulators

Super Skrull/Ben Grim

Postby crea-torX » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:41 am

Now that I have all my parts together, I finished priming Ben Grim's arm to be painted with tints, tones and shades and it hit me. :-k Hurt too, by the way! I have been collecting comics probably longer than most of you. I was paying 12 cents when I started and that was COVER PRICE! At one time, I had over 30,000 comic books! Oops, dang rabbit trail! Where was I...oh, it hit me! Why is Ben Grim's rock form "ORANGE" :?: Now in my past 50 years, I don't remember any rocks being ORANGE? Nor do I remember within the THING'S origin, did it ever explain the reason why! My guess, the Thing was so cool, with "IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!" that we just didn't care or didn't asks. I got to thinking, I know...AGAIN? We had the grey Hulk, the green Hulk and even a red Hulk...different Hulk, but a red one all the same. The last time I look at rocks, they were...well...grey! I brought this question up at my local comic shop were some older collectors were shopping and you should of seen the chins drop! It was like, I forced them to look at Ben Grim in a whole different light! No one there could answer the question either. To make my Super Skrull custom Thing arm and possibly a Ben Grim too, in grey? My question: (((((( If )))))) I do paint Super Skrull's Thing stoney arm "grey", would it really be a true Marvel Super Skrull? I'm pretty sure the answer is going to be no [-X , but I think if I ever was writing the FF comics, Ben would be take a shower and wash all the orange off! And he would be at Hulk's level of strength too. You would think a non comic book movie Direct would say, rocks are grey so to make the Thing more realistic is to have his rocky form grey. Besides, dry brushing grey would be much easier than dry brushing orange.

Any tips on Dry Brushing the Things arms(especially if you painted him before) let me hear from ya...please! I like to keep most of the nooks and crannies black. I am using Stealth Venom as the base. I am using pretty much MadTinkers76 idea. http://www.figurerealm.com/viewcustomfi ... ?FID=14755 Reed's arm is going to be a bit different. I also like to have his flaming leg other than just red. I believe that he used a clear red there and the right blending of clear yellow, clear orange and clear red hopefully will give the legs a more fiery look? I just hope my comes out looking just as good as MadTinkers76 did! I should have a WIP up soon.

I would get more figures done, if I could stop over analyze aspect of each and every custom I build! ](*,)
crea-torX
Regular Realmer

Re: Super Skrull/Ben Grim

Postby Green Skin » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:48 am

I'd stick with orange, it's truer to the source material. Not to mention that there are orange rocks:

(Hopefully that link worked, other this will look all sorts of silly)
Green Skin
Regulator

Postby Darththomas » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:11 am

Ok, I'm no expert on marvel so correct me if I'm wrong but weren't the f4 s mutations caused by cosmic rays or somesuch thing surely that would mean the usual rules of what colour a rock can be would be out the window. Besides that, not all rock is grey, I just did a quick Google and saw a fair few orange coloured rocks. Guess what I'm sayings is, stick to orange, he looks way cooler than if were grey or brown:-D
FaceBook Emlyn Darthomas Thomas
WIP viewtopic.php?f=25&t=25093
Darththomas
Regulator

Postby crea-torX » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:46 am

Well, look...orange rocks! Who knew? I guess you bent my arm behind my back and gonna force me to paint it orange then. My dry brush has seen better days...off to get a new one. Its a technique that needs to be mastered and kills me when I can paint one part and it looks awesome and another part looks like CRAP! Why can't I paint a figure and it looks awesome the first time around?

THANKS!
crea-torX
Regular Realmer

Postby Pock63 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:53 pm

The Thing is Orange for the same reason the Hulk is green, there were so many new characters coming out of comics at those times that Stan Lee and Jack Kirby were just looking for colors that would stand out and draw attention, Stan Lee said that in an interview I saw a long time ago. I think it was in the special features of the first hulk movie.
You'll be lucky if you're one of the few to find someone who can tolerate you.
Pock63
Realm Addict

Postby crea-torX » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:29 am

ẈĀŦƧĦĪƧ₣Ā₵Ė wrote:The Thing is Orange for the same reason the Hulk is green, there were so many new characters coming out of comics at those times that Stan Lee and Jack Kirby were just looking for colors that would stand out and draw attention, Stan Lee said that in an interview I saw a long time ago. I think it was in the special features of the first hulk movie.

Well that I missed! thanks for letting me know. I do know that when they colored Hulk green, was a mistake...he was always meant to be grey, but the green Hulk was liked a lot better. To think that a marvel icon like the Hulk was canceled after 6 issues do to poor sales.

CUSTOMIZING IS FUN YA ALL!
crea-torX
Regular Realmer

Postby Mighty Tom » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:04 pm

ẈĀŦƧĦĪƧ₣Ā₵Ė wrote:The Thing is Orange for the same reason the Hulk is green, there were so many new characters coming out of comics at those times that Stan Lee and Jack Kirby were just looking for colors that would stand out and draw attention, Stan Lee said that in an interview I saw a long time ago. I think it was in the special features of the first hulk movie.

i also heard that the reason the hulk went from grey to green was because at that time grey was an awkward color to print so it could be a similar reason why the thing is orange.
Mighty Tom
Avid Realmer

Postby crea-torX » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:27 pm

How many other orange rocky heroes (other than Marvel) are there?
crea-torX
Regular Realmer

Return to Custom Help / Questions / Info