A quick question

Need help getting your custom completed? Looking for your next idea? Do you need some new tips or suggestions to complete your project? Come chat with us!

Moderator: Regulators

A quick question

Postby Mystic » Fri May 03, 2013 8:42 pm

I know this is going to sound silly, and maybe its just another test of what I want to do for customs, but, to get the basic grey plastic that some customizers have, do they paint or spray paint it with Grey Primer? I almost bought a can, but I didn't because I wanted to make sure that it was the right thing or not. I'm thinking that it would help with painting over some harder colors that is. At least, that's my theory.
Mystic
Inductee Realmer

Re: A quick question

Postby Pock63 » Fri May 03, 2013 9:05 pm

Mystic wrote:I know this is going to sound silly, and maybe its just another test of what I want to do for customs, but, to get the basic grey plastic that some customizers have, do they paint or spray paint it with Grey Primer? I almost bought a can, but I didn't because I wanted to make sure that it was the right thing or not. I'm thinking that it would help with painting over some harder colors that is. At least, that's my theory.

Yes that is spray primer, you might also want a jar of brush on primer if to prime some hard to get places on the figures(although my preference is not to use primer most of the time because it adds another thick layer of paint that raises it on joints and makes it easier to rub off_
You'll be lucky if you're one of the few to find someone who can tolerate you.
Pock63
Realm Addict

Postby Mystic » Fri May 03, 2013 10:38 pm

Ok, thanks. I was thinking afterwards and the only times at the moment I would need to use it on is something like a darker color figure, like one of the JLU Batmen figures. I'd figure that it would make it a tad bit easier to repaint over it than working with a darker tone under something lighter, like yellow, red or such.
Mystic
Inductee Realmer

Postby RedRebelCustoms » Thu May 09, 2013 3:35 am

There is no special bonding agent in primers. Using white, gray, or black gives the whole figure an even, neutral color to start from and helps to avoid build up. Any color you use is realistically priming the figure. You really should thin the paints anyhow. Sanding the joints down to avoid paint rub is really a must for me so I really don't worry much about any excess build up on joint areas. :)
REDREBELCUSTOMS
RedRebelCustoms
Elite Realmer

Postby Mystic » Fri May 10, 2013 6:37 pm

Now, would any basic primer work for something like this? Or would I have to go back to somewhere like Hobby Lobby to get some craft kind of primer.
Mystic
Inductee Realmer

Postby RedRebelCustoms » Sat May 11, 2013 3:21 am

Really any acrylic primer works. If you are using craft paint, it's a whole other process to get it to adhere. Hobby paints however, technically contain a very good bonding agent with the exception of a few brands that are geared more towards RC cars and a different type of plastic . Just be sure you didn't pick up a lacquer or enamel paint if you are working on an action figure. They will not bond correctly or at all.
REDREBELCUSTOMS
RedRebelCustoms
Elite Realmer

Return to Custom Help / Questions / Info