Light Up LEDs Clear Plastic Color Change?

Need help getting your custom completed? Looking for your next idea? Do you need some new tips or suggestions to complete your project? Come chat with us!

Moderator: Regulators

Light Up LEDs Clear Plastic Color Change?

Postby Bad_Guy_Robot » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:19 am

Hello again Realmers, back with another random question. I've got a figure I'm gonna start working on soon as a base, and it had LEDs in it, with clear orange plastic lines in the chest. I like the fact that it lights up, because that would be perfect for the custom I'm wanting to make, however it's the wrong color; I need it to light up in green. Is there any way to change the color of the plastic or any way to make it that way? I figure not but couldn't hurt to seek the council of those wiser than I. Thanks guys.
Our trade thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=41047
Bad_Guy_Robot
Regular Realmer

Re: Light Up LEDs Clear Plastic Color Change?

Postby Pock63 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:01 pm

Bad_Guy_Robot wrote:Hello again Realmers, back with another random question. I've got a figure I'm gonna start working on soon as a base, and it had LEDs in it, with clear orange plastic lines in the chest. I like the fact that it lights up, because that would be perfect for the custom I'm wanting to make, however it's the wrong color; I need it to light up in green. Is there any way to change the color of the plastic or any way to make it that way? I figure not but couldn't hurt to seek the council of those wiser than I. Thanks guys.

you could use translucent paints(or permanent markers which also cure translucent on clear plastic) to make the plastic any color you want.
You'll be lucky if you're one of the few to find someone who can tolerate you.
Pock63
Realm Addict

Postby Bad_Guy_Robot » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:40 am

ẈĀŦƧĦĪƧ₣Ā₵Ė wrote:
Bad_Guy_Robot wrote:Hello again Realmers, back with another random question. I've got a figure I'm gonna start working on soon as a base, and it had LEDs in it, with clear orange plastic lines in the chest. I like the fact that it lights up, because that would be perfect for the custom I'm wanting to make, however it's the wrong color; I need it to light up in green. Is there any way to change the color of the plastic or any way to make it that way? I figure not but couldn't hurt to seek the council of those wiser than I. Thanks guys.

you could use translucent paints(or permanent markers which also cure translucent on clear plastic) to make the plastic any color you want.

Ah man, that's a great idea! Thank you! I actually didn't know that permanent markers dried translucent on clear plastics. The plastic itself though isn't straight clear, its like a clear orangeish yellow though, so, since yellow + blue makes green, do you think that using a blue marker over the orangeish yellow would produce a clear green plastic? Thanks again :D
Bad_Guy_Robot
Regular Realmer

Postby Darththomas » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:24 am

Just a heads up that even colouring the plastic might not do the job. Leds tend to be coloured themselves so if you have a orange/red Led no matter what colour you put over it the light will probably be strong enough to still be orange/red. On the other hand if you have a white or clear LED chances are it will work perfectly.
FaceBook Emlyn Darthomas Thomas
WIP viewtopic.php?f=25&t=25093
Darththomas
Regulator

Postby Pock63 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:09 am

Bad_Guy_Robot wrote:
ẈĀŦƧĦĪƧ₣Ā₵Ė wrote:

Ah man, that's a great idea! Thank you! I actually didn't know that permanent markers dried translucent on clear plastics. The plastic itself though isn't straight clear, its like a clear orangeish yellow though, so, since yellow + blue makes green, do you think that using a blue marker over the orangeish yellow would produce a clear green plastic? Thanks again :D

I would try a green first, and if that doesn't work you can always go over it with blue :) also what darthomas said is very true, if the bulb is shining the wrong color you might want to look into switching it out for a different led bulb, I have a bunch if you need a white one.
Pock63
Realm Addict

Postby Bad_Guy_Robot » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:56 pm

DT, thanks for the tip man. And actually I have a small bin of electrical stuff including some LEDs (though this is my first time trying LEDs in a custom; well, technically altering but same diff) so I'll make sure I change the LED so it'll look better. have a bunch of random stuff cause I never know what I'm gonna use, but I believe I have a few clear ones that I can use. I do think though that I might have some green LEDs, which may help it look more naturally green. Not sure which would be better though, a clear or a green.

Anyway, to WHF, I do have a few LEDs I can use, but thanks for the offer man, its much appreciated :) And yeah that's a good idea, I'll try the green first, then add some blue if needed. Thanks guys! :)
Bad_Guy_Robot
Regular Realmer

Postby Pock63 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:42 pm

Good luck :D
Pock63
Realm Addict

Return to Custom Help / Questions / Info