Need Help with Silicone Rubber NOT CURING

Need help getting your custom completed? Looking for your next idea? Do you need some new tips or suggestions to complete your project? Come chat with us!

Moderator: Regulators

Need Help with Silicone Rubber NOT CURING

Postby shaka » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:45 pm

Hi everyone,

I just tried to make my first Silicone Rubber mold, and long story short: IT WONT CURE!!
I don't know if have something to do with the batch (is about 3 years old), the point is that for over two days now, I have 4 Heads submerged in Silicon Rubber that has the consistence of melted Velveeta cheese!!!
Please, can somebody give me a hint on how to help the curing process or in the worst case how to clean up the heads?
For reference I used Alumilite's High Strength 2.
[-o< [-o< [-o<
shaka
Inductee Realmer

Re: Need Help with Silicone Rubber NOT CURING

Postby Pock63 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:09 pm

I use the same stuff and provided you had the proportions of part A and B the same as shown in the instructions than I would say it was a problem with the batch, you could try heating the molds up in the oven at a safe temp that won't melt the heads like 130 degree's because heat speeds up chemical reactions(I sometimes do this with my molds when I don't want to wait a day for them to cure). If that doesn't work then I would clean the heads with hot water that has lots of soap in it, and if the heads are from your fodder box and are going to be repainted anyway I would add a small amount of finger nail polish remover to the mix(which may strip the paint but will also help with cleaning them).
You'll be lucky if you're one of the few to find someone who can tolerate you.
Pock63
Realm Addict

Re: Need Help with Silicone Rubber NOT CURING

Postby Green Skin » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:55 pm

Assuming you got the AB proportions correct I think your problem is how old the product is. The shelf life for silicone mold rubber is only 6 months according the the Alumilite website. I've gone beyond that shelf life plenty of times without issues, but 3 years is pushing it a bit.
Green Skin
Regulator

Return to Custom Help / Questions / Info