First custom. Need paint advice.

Need help getting your custom completed? Looking for your next idea? Do you need some new tips or suggestions to complete your project? Come chat with us!

Moderator: Regulators

First custom. Need paint advice.

Postby elessar33 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:17 pm

Working on my first custom and got testor's but got enamel instead of acrylic. Only put one coat on, and quickly realized my mistake in paint choice. Suggestions to fix or just keep going?

I also want to add straps, and have noticed people both sculpting and using rubber bands for this. Is there a better choice?
elessar33
Newbie Realmer

Re: First custom. Need paint advice.

Postby John11756 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:02 pm

For the paint soak the figure in mineral spirits for a few hours or over night (will not harm the figure). Then use a paper towel or something to rub the paint off (tooth brush will also work). For straps, mr sinisters cape works very well. Also for paints try model masters instead of testors. They are slightly more expensive but worth every penny. Hope this is helpful
John11756
Regular Realmer

Postby Darththomas » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:40 am

Avoid rubber bands if you can. They tend to degrade with age and become brittle. They are also affected by paint and sealant.
FaceBook Emlyn Darthomas Thomas
WIP viewtopic.php?f=25&t=25093
Darththomas
Regulator

Postby Patraw » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:36 am

I concur about rubber bands, while they're okay in the short term, over time, they will eventually degrade, snap, and fall apart (it's possible that there might be some kind of sealant that would prevent this, but I'm not aware of any). I use paper, layered for thickness, to make straps, but then, I use paper for everything. If you can find some nice pleather, or similar material, that's in scale, you can cut that down to strips and glue those onto your figure.
Patraw
Elite Realmer

Postby RMK » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:25 am

For straps I use one of two things, depending on how they fit the body. For straps that wrap around the circumference of a body part, I use plumbers shrink tube you can get from any hardware store. A hair dryer or heat gun will make it grip the body. For straps and other parts that are just placed on the body, I use clear vinyl you can get from a fabric store. That stuff has so many applications, it's ridiculous. Just cut it to size.
RMK
Inductee Realmer

Postby CAb00se » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:22 am

for straps and belts, you can also you rex lace. available in different thickness and at most hobby stores. it also takes paint very well.
CAboose
CAb00se
Regular Realmer

Return to Custom Help / Questions / Info