Removing Heads

Need help getting your custom completed? Looking for your next idea? Do you need some new tips or suggestions to complete your project? Come chat with us!

Moderator: Regulators

Removing Heads

Postby Knightfall » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:47 am

How do you go about safely removing a head from an action figure that has one of those ball point joints in the neck.? Accidentally broke one weeks ago when trying to pop off the head. So, I need to fix that somehow.

Btw, I can't reply to any PMs. Is that normal for newcomers.?
Knightfall
Casual Realmer

Re: Removing Heads

Postby Green Skin » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:23 am

Head up some water in the microwave for about 3 minutes then put the head in the water for about 45-60 seconds. That will soften the plastic enough for the head to pop off without damaging anything.
Green Skin
Regulator

Postby Knightfall » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:57 am

darn, really.? Thanks. Would of thought doing that would damage the paint, if nothing else.
Knightfall
Casual Realmer

Postby Green Skin » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:58 am

Nope, doesn't damage the paint. I've been doing it for years and haven't had any issues. Just remember that it doesn't take long for the plastic to soften up and you'll be fine.
Green Skin
Regulator

Postby Knightfall » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:14 am

Does this same trick work on popping joints back in? I just got a GL in the mail and one side of an ankle joint is popped out. Here's pics.

Knightfall
Casual Realmer

Postby Darththomas » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:43 am

yup, all soft plastics (legs, arms, heads) can be heated till they become flexible. I prefer to use a hairdryer to do it as you can be more specific as to which part you're heating but it's all personal preference. It won't work on the harder plastics such as torsos, crotches and the underside of the feet.
FaceBook Emlyn Darthomas Thomas
WIP viewtopic.php?f=25&t=25093
Darththomas
Regulator

Postby Shinigami » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:37 am

Some figures, like Sota Street Fighters, Marvel Select and current NECA stuff use soft plastic almost exclusively, so you can pop every joint with this method.
Shinigami
Fanatic Realmer

Return to Custom Help / Questions / Info