Need help with NECA Turtle mod.

Need help getting your custom completed? Looking for your next idea? Do you need some new tips or suggestions to complete your project? Come chat with us!

Moderator: Regulators

Need help with NECA Turtle mod.

Postby lam47 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:03 pm

Hey all. My first post here.
I've been making models and painting miniatures for quite a while. I recently found this site and the Neca turtle figures.
Now I ordered one online and the quality was very good. Bellow are two pictures. One of it how it arrived, and the other with just a bit of extra paint work.

So I ordered a whole set from the same seller. They arrived in terrible condition. Sticky paint work. A tail missing. The wrong heads! The list goes on and on.
So I have decided I will re paint them in the black and white theme seen on the Neca set. I have a few questions.

I can't seem to remove the pivot pins. I have tried heating them up but they still don't move. Has anyone got any advice on how to remove them for these specific figures?

Is there a way to stiffen the joints a bit? These guys have very loose legs.

What would be the best paint to use? I was thinking Citadel primer followed by Citadel white. Then some kind of clear coat.

Is it possible to keep the articulation without the paint wearing off?

I have been through the tutorials on here and they have been very helpful. If anyone can offer any specific advice I would be very grateful.

lam47
Inductee Realmer

Re: Need help with NECA Turtle mod.

Postby Pock63 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:53 pm

The reason for the sticky paint and plastic, and the mismatching heads and pieces missing is because you bought some of the very realistic Neca TMNT knock offs that some Chinese companies have been making, I'm not sure why but they have been making a tone of knock offs of the Neca Turtles.
You'll be lucky if you're one of the few to find someone who can tolerate you.
Pock63
Realm Addict

Postby lam47 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:19 pm

Hey. Yeah I know they are bootlegs. Seem to be the only ones avaliable these days. Weird that the first one was so much better though. Weirdly; the first one had hard plastic parts where the second lot have soft rubber. The bandana, front of the shell and belts are all soft on the ugly ones. Also the first one sent has the waist pivot but not the abb crunch. The ugly set have the abb crunch but it's glued tight. So there are at least two different casts of the main torso.
lam47
Inductee Realmer

Postby lam47 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:46 am

Any ideas on what would work best to remove the sticky paint from the front of the shells and the belts?
lam47
Inductee Realmer

Postby Pock63 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:57 pm

lam47 wrote:Any ideas on what would work best to remove the sticky paint from the front of the shells and the belts?

I suggest acetone for using on the hard plastic parts but you will haft to be very careful on any soft rubbery parts because acetone has the potential to melt parts like that.
You'll be lucky if you're one of the few to find someone who can tolerate you.
Pock63
Realm Addict

Postby lam47 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:10 pm

Thanks for the reply.
I'm doing pretty well with my first figure mod.
I will post some pictures when he gets a little closer to being finished. I'm trying to make him look like the large scale sculpt of the black and white versions.
I liked all of the black paint work on that one and was hoping the retail release would look the same. I guess it would have been a lot of work in the factory.
Mine should look pretty close. Used a lot of the tutorials from the site. The brush on super glue for joint protection is genius!
lam47
Inductee Realmer

Return to Custom Help / Questions / Info