Sota Street Fighter China Bootlegs worth it?

Need help getting your custom completed? Looking for your next idea? Do you need some new tips or suggestions to complete your project? Come chat with us!

Moderator: Regulators

Sota Street Fighter China Bootlegs worth it?

Postby Darth_Castro » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:31 pm

I was looking to use The SOTA Street Fighters from china with the box packaging for a custom im working on soon and i was wondering if they would be good to use. i know since theyre bootlegs they must have their issues .if so are they manageable or are they a lost cause? i was looking into using the sota Zangief and the Sota E. Honda for the customs im making.

Shown here
http://bimg2.mlstatic.com/sota-zangief- ... 032013.jpg
User avatar
Darth_Castro
Inductee Realmer
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:11 pm

Re: Sota Street Fighter China Bootlegs worth it?

Postby Pock63 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:46 pm

Bootlegs are very hit and miss, some are as good as the real figures and some have fused joints, sticky paint, and warped plastic. My policy is to never buy bootlegs on principal though because I don't like the fact that there steeling copyrighted materiel and making money off others hard work.
You'll be lucky if you're one of the few to find someone who can tolerate you.
Image
User avatar
Pock63
Realm Addict
 
Posts: 3805
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:58 am

Re: Sota Street Fighter China Bootlegs worth it?

Postby Darththomas » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:41 am

I have both of these figures and i'm pretty sure they're bootlegs (not 100% sure but i'm guessing they are from the price i paid) . As far as bootlegs go they're really pretty good and by all accounts the actual SOTA figures released in the revolutions line weren't very good either and shared a lot of the problems with their bootleg counterparts. I guess i'll just list the problems i have with mine and you can make your own decisions but seeing as you're planning on customizing them a lot of the problems could probably be fixed during the process. If i put sota in brackets it's a problem i've read about existing with the official release too.

Zangief - sloppy paint apps (sota) , loose joints (sota), gap between torso and crotch (sota), really loose connection between hip ball joint and upper legs - the legs stay put but can be removed easily without being heated, sloppy sculpt on hands (sota), fragile joint pins.

E-Honda - Sloppy paint apps (sota), loose joints (sota), sloppy sculpt on hands and feet (sota), mismatched joints - the disc on the inside of the joint is often bigger than the ball around the outside of it (sota), fragile joint pins - especially on the mid torso joint.

So yeah a lot of the problems exist on both bootleg and official releases, i'm quite happy having mine sit alongside my official sota so i'd probably say go for it, especially if you're gonna customize them.
Image
FaceBook Emlyn Darthomas Thomas
WIP viewtopic.php?f=25&t=25093
User avatar
Darththomas
Regulator
 
Posts: 3143
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:16 pm
Location: Manchester, England

Re: Sota Street Fighter China Bootlegs worth it?

Postby Darth_Castro » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:06 am

Darththomas wrote:I have both of these figures and i'm pretty sure they're bootlegs (not 100% sure but i'm guessing they are from the price i paid) . As far as bootlegs go they're really pretty good and by all accounts the actual SOTA figures released in the revolutions line weren't very good either and shared a lot of the problems with their bootleg counterparts. I guess i'll just list the problems i have with mine and you can make your own decisions but seeing as you're planning on customizing them a lot of the problems could probably be fixed during the process. If i put sota in brackets it's a problem i've read about existing with the official release too.

Zangief - sloppy paint apps (sota) , loose joints (sota), gap between torso and crotch (sota), really loose connection between hip ball joint and upper legs - the legs stay put but can be removed easily without being heated, sloppy sculpt on hands (sota), fragile joint pins.

E-Honda - Sloppy paint apps (sota), loose joints (sota), sloppy sculpt on hands and feet (sota), mismatched joints - the disc on the inside of the joint is often bigger than the ball around the outside of it (sota), fragile joint pins - especially on the mid torso joint.

So yeah a lot of the problems exist on both bootleg and official releases, i'm quite happy having mine sit alongside my official sota so i'd probably say go for it, especially if you're gonna customize them.


Thanks Thomas. The Figures you purchased ,did they come from china in a box packaging? ive made my decision to buy them. it seems that the actual authentic figures seem to be a bit scarce so id rather purchase a bootleg that i can work on. My Reasoning is : some out there is collecting these and here i am tearing it apart to make a custom so id rather use an unauthentic bootleg for my custom
User avatar
Darth_Castro
Inductee Realmer
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:11 pm

Re: Sota Street Fighter China Bootlegs worth it?

Postby Darththomas » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:45 am

No problem, yup they came in boxes and looked authentic enough, they still do and if i hadn't watched a few videos on youtube i'd probably still believe they were real :lol:
Image
FaceBook Emlyn Darthomas Thomas
WIP viewtopic.php?f=25&t=25093
User avatar
Darththomas
Regulator
 
Posts: 3143
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:16 pm
Location: Manchester, England

Re: Sota Street Fighter China Bootlegs worth it?

Postby Shinigami » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:06 am

Castro, did you ask the same thing on facebook in a group a week or two ago? I told a guy I'll contact him after I get my Chinese Honda and now I can't find that person :D Anyway, the figure came in a box but it's obviously a bootleg. The box art is super low res for crying out loud. The toy itself is only okay, with sloppy paint and loose joints. It'll work well as custom fodder though.
User avatar
Shinigami
Fanatic Realmer
 
Posts: 681
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:37 am
Location: Poland

Re: Sota Street Fighter China Bootlegs worth it?

Postby lam47 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:08 am

Is there a bootleg Sagat? I can't afford a real one.
lam47
Inductee Realmer
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:52 pm

Re: Sota Street Fighter China Bootlegs worth it?

Postby Darththomas » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:08 am

lam47 wrote:Is there a bootleg Sagat? I can't afford a real one.


Sadly not, the real one does fetch some crazy prices......... i'm told he's well worth it though. The only ones I know of that got bootlegged were R.Mika, Dhalsim, Honda and Zangief.
Image
FaceBook Emlyn Darthomas Thomas
WIP viewtopic.php?f=25&t=25093
User avatar
Darththomas
Regulator
 
Posts: 3143
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:16 pm
Location: Manchester, England

Re: Sota Street Fighter China Bootlegs worth it?

Postby lam47 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:15 pm

Just won a Sagat for £30 ukp which I think is pretty good! He is sealed and like new. I'm guessing the clams-shell packing has to be cut to get these figures out? But it would be a shame not to be able to display him properly.

Haha, I was bidding on that too :D . Only one of rose speculative bids though, I'll stick 25 see if I get lucky :) well played mate, good price.
lam47
Inductee Realmer
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:52 pm

Re: Sota Street Fighter China Bootlegs worth it?

Postby Darth_Castro » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:58 am

Shinigami wrote:Castro, did you ask the same thing on facebook in a group a week or two ago? I told a guy I'll contact him after I get my Chinese Honda and now I can't find that person :D Anyway, the figure came in a box but it's obviously a bootleg. The box art is super low res for crying out loud. The toy itself is only okay, with sloppy paint and loose joints. It'll work well as custom fodder though.


Yeah man. that was me. i went ahead and caved in and bought them. Thanks for looking out bud. hopefully i get them soon so i can start working on them.
User avatar
Darth_Castro
Inductee Realmer
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:11 pm

Re: Sota Street Fighter China Bootlegs worth it?

Postby Darth_Castro » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:01 am

Also i think there is a bootleg remmy and guile. either that or theyre really cheap (price wise)
User avatar
Darth_Castro
Inductee Realmer
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:11 pm

Re: Sota Street Fighter China Bootlegs worth it?

Postby Darththomas » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:27 pm

Darth_Castro wrote:Also i think there is a bootleg remmy and guile. either that or theyre really cheap (price wise)



Nah, Guile's just super common and Remmy is absolute rubbish so no one wants him :D
Image
FaceBook Emlyn Darthomas Thomas
WIP viewtopic.php?f=25&t=25093
User avatar
Darththomas
Regulator
 
Posts: 3143
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:16 pm
Location: Manchester, England

Re: Sota Street Fighter China Bootlegs worth it?

Postby lam47 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:35 am

Hey all.
Just got my Sagat and Balrog (M Bison) this morning. The Sota figures are truly superb! I have a few official NECA Tutles and the sculpting and paintwork on the Sota stuff is of a higher standard. I should be getting hold of a few NECA SF figures soon so will look forward to doing some comparisons.

Sorry for sniping the Sagat! I had to have him though. Unfortunately Royal Mail have cracked and squished his box so he may well be opened for display.

Now I'm looking for a good Cammy. It seems making female figures is a lot harder to get right than big muscular man monsters. The Square Enix one looks to be the best only her shoulders look weird. Any advice? I would love to have a good Cammy as I play her and Bison (Vega) in SFIV and SFXT.

Finally I need to get round to posing pictures of my custom bootleg NECA Turtles. I was going to wait until I had done all 4 but time and work means I'm stuck at two. Still, they look pretty cool in the cabinet.

Loving the website and forums!
lam47
Inductee Realmer
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:52 pm

Re: Sota Street Fighter China Bootlegs worth it?

Postby lam47 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:18 pm

Bah! On opening up Balrog (M Bison) I see that the Royal Mail didn't only crack and squash the box but have also snapped his boot off! What is the best way to fix such an injury? Just glue it back on? I can't see how I would get the snapped off peg out of the boot to pin it back to his leg. Any advice would be great.
lam47
Inductee Realmer
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:52 pm

Re: Sota Street Fighter China Bootlegs worth it?

Postby lam47 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:43 pm

Read a good tutorial using screws!
lam47
Inductee Realmer
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:52 pm

Next

Return to Custom Help / Questions / Info

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest