Source of 'Old' Weapons?

Need help getting your custom completed? Looking for your next idea? Do you need some new tips or suggestions to complete your project? Come chat with us!

Moderator: Regulators

Source of 'Old' Weapons?

Postby BotchB » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:49 am

Does any one know of a source of 'old' weapons? - that's historically old, not that have been around a long time. All the weapons and accessory makers seem to be for now or future stuff, none for the past.

I am looking for stuff like wheel-lock pistols, arquebuses, flintlock guns, bows, crossbows, swords etc for a new group project. It is for gaming based on a Games Workshop 28mm game called Mordheim, which has a 'Medieval After Armageddon' setting.

Many thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Botch B
BotchB
Newbie Realmer

Re: Source of 'Old' Weapons?

Postby Patraw » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:36 pm

For 6-7" figures, Pirates of the Carribean and Lord of the Rings/Hobbit figures would probably have the type of stuff you're looking for. The inherent problem is that loose figures tend to be missing said accessories, and buying the figures MOC/MIB will get expensive quickly. If you want weapons for 28 mm figurines, that's dicier. Probably the best thing to do, if you aren't good at sculpting, is to find some miniatures that do have the weapons you want, cut them off, and cast them.

Guns are a bit trickier and time-consuming to make from scratch, because they're more complex in nature, but swords and bows are relatively simple to create yourself, as their forms are fairly basic, unless you want to get fancy. By way of example, here's an assortment of animate medieval weapons (a Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance Ruler Sword), that I made from scratch:

Patraw
Elite Realmer

Postby Pock63 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:34 pm

LCBH Wraal and Conan came with some really nice weapons as well as lotr figures like patraw said.
You'll be lucky if you're one of the few to find someone who can tolerate you.
Pock63
Realm Addict

Postby BotchB » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:22 am

I am after 1/18th scale 3 3/4inch 95mm. POTC is indeed a good source, but as has been said loose figures usually come without them! I was hoping for a maker of accessories who did weapons for these figures for example, so that I could replace and add to those with the figures. Patraw, the twirly show is cute but I'm not clear whether the weapons are real or programmed? If real, how did you make them please?

I am particularly looking for a wheel-lock pistol and an matchlock or flintlock arquebus ...
BotchB
Newbie Realmer

Postby Patraw » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:44 am

The weapons in that animation are quite real, although I did use a computer program (GIMP) to edit out their transparent plastic stands. They were made completely from scratch (mostly from paper and white glue); here's some shots of them before they were painted:

And the finished product:

While I've made numerous guns from scratch over the years, I don't think I've ever made a flintlock pistol or arquebus. The basic shape of the gun wouldn't be too hard, but I imagine that the little hammer/striker/trigger elements might be tricky, as would engraving it if you wanted it to look fancy. I really can't think of much, other than Pirates of the Carribean, that would have that type of thing. I think that McFarlane Toys' Pirate Spawns had flintlock pistols, but they're 6-7" inch scale.

Another idea just occured to me: Considering that it's the Thanksgiving season, it's possible you might be able to find some pilgrim figurines with Blunderbusses. While that isn't exactly the type of weapon you're looking for, I imagine, if you cut off the bell-shaped end of the barrel of a Blunderbuss, the result would look something like a flintlock/matchlock weapon.
Patraw
Elite Realmer

Return to Custom Help / Questions / Info