I hate sanding

Need help getting your custom completed? Looking for your next idea? Do you need some new tips or suggestions to complete your project? Come chat with us!

Moderator: Regulators

I hate sanding

Postby RMK » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:21 pm

Hey guys, as the title implies, I'm looking for help with working out the imperfections that show up in this type of hobby.

Whether I'm altering an existing plastic part or sanding out the imperfections in Apoxie Sculpt, I find I can never get all the nicks and divots out of my surface and it especially shows when I do metallic paints. I end up sanding for hours at a time while watching TV and wearing out my hands.

Any suggestions for this process or hiding all the little imperfections?
RMK
Inductee Realmer

Re: I hate sanding

Postby Pock63 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:57 pm

Starting with a higher grit and working your way down is I'll I've got to say about finish sanding sculpt and parts. As for sanding the metallic paint wet sanding might be the way to go or even using a polishing cloth.
You'll be lucky if you're one of the few to find someone who can tolerate you.
Pock63
Realm Addict

Postby ole jade jaw » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:50 pm

Fill em in and THEN sand em down. Otherwise you're just whittling away your work. Tamiya putty, Squadron putty and other similar products are great for cracks and scratches like that.
ole jade jaw
Fanatic Realmer

Postby Jin Saotome » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:06 am

If you're sanding plastic do a wipe of acetone to 'knockdown' the surface afterward. It works best with pvc, just be careful with hard plastic because acetone can melt it away faster.
"If my father were alive, I could make him proud!"

Jin Saotome's Dangerous Toys
Jin Saotome
Regular Realmer

Postby Pock63 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:06 pm

Jin Saotome wrote:If you're sanding plastic do a wipe of acetone to 'knockdown' the surface afterward. It works best with pvc, just be careful with hard plastic because acetone can melt it away faster.

Great tip!
You'll be lucky if you're one of the few to find someone who can tolerate you.
Pock63
Realm Addict

Postby Templar Punk » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:29 am

If it helps, I use squadron's sanding sticks to work on the smaller details. They have various levels ranging from coarse grit to buffing and polishing sticks.

They cost like $5 on amazon and they are not as tedious to work with compared to working with folded sand paper. Good luck man.
Templar Punk
Newbie Realmer

Postby RMK » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:06 pm

Thanks, everyone, for chiming in. Sorry it took me so long to reply. Work keeps me away.
RMK
Inductee Realmer

Return to Custom Help / Questions / Info