Color Matching Techniques

Need help getting your custom completed? Looking for your next idea? Do you need some new tips or suggestions to complete your project? Come chat with us!

Moderator: Regulators

Color Matching Techniques

Postby Questo » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:37 pm

Hi guys

Just found this great resource and had to join.
I have a heap of figures with missing bits and would love to have a go at making parts but thought it best to start light.

So I will try touching up the paint on a few first.

My question is: are there any tried and true techniques for color matching with figures? Besides trial and error?

Are there standard default colors companies use or do they vary from time to time?

Thanks in advance
Questo
Newbie Realmer
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:29 pm

Re: Color Matching Techniques

Postby Pock63 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:09 am

What I find helpful is knowing the basics of how paints mix. Paints do not necessarily mix like colors should. Red and Blue doesn't always make purple when mixing paints, sometimes it makes brown. So knowing these things about whatever brand of paint you prefer can be very helpful.
You'll be lucky if you're one of the few to find someone who can tolerate you.
Image
User avatar
Pock63
Realm Addict
 
Posts: 3873
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:58 am

Re: Color Matching Techniques

Postby Questo » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:57 pm

Ok but what about identifying the colour on the figure your trying to match to. Is there a way to do that?
Questo
Newbie Realmer
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:29 pm

Re: Color Matching Techniques

Postby Patraw » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:32 am

It's mostly just a matter of trial-and-error for me. I usually just take out bottles of the basic components of the final color that I want to make (i.e., red and yellow for orange), and mix them together, a little at a time, until I get a good approximation of the hue I want, tweaking it as I go along. Another thing to keep in mind in that sometimes paint looks different when it dries than when it's wet. So, even if you get a "perfect" match, the hue may change a little after it dries and cures.
User avatar
Patraw
Elite Realmer
 
Posts: 1298
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:04 am
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: Color Matching Techniques

Postby Patraw » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:15 am

I was reading a mystery novel the other night, and the main character was working on restoring a theatre and the subject of matching paint came up. According to said book, you can bring a sample of any paint down to the paint department at a store and they can match it using computer software, so, even though the story was a work of fiction, I'm assuming said software actually exists. And, sure enough, a Google search confirms this:

http://www.premiercolorscan.com/products/software/color_matching/formulation.shtml

This article also seems like it would be helpful:

http://home.howstuffworks.com/machine-match-paint.htm
User avatar
Patraw
Elite Realmer
 
Posts: 1298
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:04 am
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: Color Matching Techniques

Postby Pock63 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:40 pm

Patraw wrote:I was reading a mystery novel the other night, and the main character was working on restoring a theatre and the subject of matching paint came up. According to said book, you can bring a sample of any paint down to the paint department at a store and they can match it using computer software, so, even though the story was a work of fiction, I'm assuming said software actually exists. And, sure enough, a Google search confirms this:

http://www.premiercolorscan.com/products/software/color_matching/formulation.shtml

This article also seems like it would be helpful:

http://home.howstuffworks.com/machine-match-paint.htm


Yes but that's for house and building paint. I've never seen one of those machines for identifying/mixing model paint.
You'll be lucky if you're one of the few to find someone who can tolerate you.
Image
User avatar
Pock63
Realm Addict
 
Posts: 3873
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:58 am

Re: Color Matching Techniques

Postby Patraw » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:30 am

I could be wrong, but I don't imagine that the type of paint would make too much of a difference. I would think that the pigment component of the paint is what's of primary importance in the analysis/matching process, not the binder or solvent, but, then again, I'm not a paint technician, so I'm just guessing here.
User avatar
Patraw
Elite Realmer
 
Posts: 1298
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:04 am
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: Color Matching Techniques

Postby Pock63 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:28 am

Patraw wrote:I could be wrong, but I don't imagine that the type of paint would make too much of a difference. I would think that the pigment component of the paint is what's of primary importance in the analysis/matching process, not the binder or solvent, but, then again, I'm not a paint technician, so I'm just guessing here.


Those machines are made to identify the paint color and then mix a matching color using house paint. So unless you planning to use house paint then Id oupt just identifying the color will be much help.
You'll be lucky if you're one of the few to find someone who can tolerate you.
Image
User avatar
Pock63
Realm Addict
 
Posts: 3873
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:58 am

Re: Color Matching Techniques

Postby Truwe316 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:48 am

Reaper has something like this on their site:

http://www.reapermini.com/PowerPalette/

I think the original poster needs to know that matching exact paint is difficult to do since factory paint and hobby paint are two different types, so you will have to mix paint to get something exact most times. Also, this above site is just an estimation of the paint color.

Also, will not find the exact paint based on the plastic color that has been molded because, well, it is not paint.
Truwe316
Casual Realmer
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:31 am

Re: Color Matching Techniques

Postby Pock63 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:40 pm

Truwe316 wrote:Reaper has something like this on their site:

http://www.reapermini.com/PowerPalette/

I think the original poster needs to know that matching exact paint is difficult to do since factory paint and hobby paint are two different types, so you will have to mix paint to get something exact most times. Also, this above site is just an estimation of the paint color.

Also, will not find the exact paint based on the plastic color that has been molded because, well, it is not paint.


That's awesome! :D I'm going to haft to use that! :)
You'll be lucky if you're one of the few to find someone who can tolerate you.
Image
User avatar
Pock63
Realm Addict
 
Posts: 3873
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:58 am

Re: Color Matching Techniques

Postby Patraw » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:10 am

I guess I was thinking more along the lines of having the program on your own computer at home, rather than going to the paint department. I imagined inputting a hex code, or whatever, for the color you want to make, and then the program telling you what proportions you would need to mix in order to make it (i.e., two parts white, one part brown, one part yellow for a shade of flesh tone).
User avatar
Patraw
Elite Realmer
 
Posts: 1298
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:04 am
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: Color Matching Techniques

Postby Pock63 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:24 pm

Patraw wrote:I guess I was thinking more along the lines of having the program on your own computer at home, rather than going to the paint department. I imagined inputting a hex code, or whatever, for the color you want to make, and then the program telling you what proportions you would need to mix in order to make it (i.e., two parts white, one part brown, one part yellow for a shade of flesh tone).


Wouldn't it be diferant for every kind of paint though? Depending on what kind of pigment they use, the viscosity, and opaqueness
You'll be lucky if you're one of the few to find someone who can tolerate you.
Image
User avatar
Pock63
Realm Addict
 
Posts: 3873
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:58 am

Re: Color Matching Techniques

Postby Patraw » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:41 am

I imagine that there would be some variation depending on the type of paints used, but I would also think that the pigment itself would be more important than any of the other components of the paint (i.e., while latex, oil, enamel, acrylic, etc. are all different, at the end of the day, apple red is still apple red). Even if the program only gave you a general idea of what proportions of colors to mix, it'd be a good starting point that you could tweak along the way. Maybe I'm just looking at things from an over-simplified perspective.
User avatar
Patraw
Elite Realmer
 
Posts: 1298
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:04 am
Location: Michigan, USA


Return to Custom Help / Questions / Info

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest