New to Figures need paint help

Need help getting your custom completed? Looking for your next idea? Do you need some new tips or suggestions to complete your project? Come chat with us!

Moderator: Regulators

New to Figures need paint help

Postby Cloud 9nd » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:36 pm

Hello, I want to start off with this palce is amazing.

I am new to painting figures.
I am getting an airbrush kit and I can paint, but I do need to know how to pick the proper colors for action figures. For instance I am going to repaint the large 31" superman figure, so what is a good paint for the rubberish figure?

1. Is Acrylic paint what I need for it?
2. How do you guys know the color codes? I want to make him the 1980's superman movie colors. (not sure version # movie but 1980's for sure)
3. Tamiya or testors, or somethign else?
3. What primers or can I use Krylon ina can primer?

Thanks for any and all help/ ideas.
Cloud 9nd
Newbie Realmer

Re: New to Figures need paint help

Postby Pock63 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:28 pm

Most of your paint questions can be answered here in the commonly asked questions thread. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=41631 if there's anything your still wondering feel free to ask.
You'll be lucky if you're one of the few to find someone who can tolerate you.
Pock63
Realm Addict

Postby Cloud 9nd » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:52 pm

Pock63 wrote:Most of your paint questions can be answered here in the commonly asked questions thread. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=41631 if there's anything your still wondering feel free to ask.

Thank you, so I forgot to ask would the superheros usually be flat or gloss figures? Meaning the older color ones, not the new dark color spiderman and superman stuff.
Cloud 9nd
Newbie Realmer

Postby Patraw » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:13 am

Figures generally look more realistic with a flat/matte finish. I generally avoid a high gloss finish unless the character is supposed to be slimy, wet, shiny, etc. That said, it's not uncommon to make parts of a superhero or superheroine's costume glossy, to provide some areas of contrast (i.e., you could make a Superman with shiny boots, shorts/belt, and symbol contrasted with a matte bodysuit). Alternatively, a good compromise between the two extremes is a satin finish (not as shiny as gloss, but not flat either, kind of a light sheen).
Patraw
Elite Realmer

Return to Custom Help / Questions / Info