Stripping Paint off of action figures

Need help getting your custom completed? Looking for your next idea? Do you need some new tips or suggestions to complete your project? Come chat with us!

Moderator: Regulators

Stripping Paint off of action figures

Postby jangofett234 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:16 pm

Im trying to strip the paint off of my clone trooper figures by hasbro and I have tried every method i could find through this site and google and nothing is really working.

I have tried:

Nail Polish remover- It did not get rid of the paint but instead smeared it.

"comet" and a tooth brush- sort of working but has taken 6 hours of scrubbing and is starting to get rid of the arm paint as well and the visor of the helmet.

The only option I have yet to try is "goof-off".

Anyone done this before and know of a better and more accurate solution?
jangofett234
Inductee Realmer

Re: Stripping Paint off of action figures

Postby Patraw » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:48 am

Acetone (nail polish remover) usually does the trick for me--that must be some really stubborn paint if scrubbing it with Comet for hours isn't doing the trick.
Patraw
Elite Realmer

Postby Pock63 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:15 am

Patraw wrote:Acetone (nail polish remover) usually does the trick for me--that must be some really stubborn paint if scrubbing it with Comet for hours isn't doing the trick.

Yeah, Acetone is the way to go. Just be careful not to melt the plastic, a little acetone on a rag will go a long way.
You'll be lucky if you're one of the few to find someone who can tolerate you.
Pock63
Realm Addict

Postby Patraw » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:22 am

That's no lie, I've done some serious damage to plastic with acetone on numerous occasions. I usually dilute mine a bit with water and apply it carefully with a Q-tip.
Patraw
Elite Realmer

Postby jangofett234 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:55 am

Yea Comet and warm water took 7 hours of scrubbing every 10 minutes with a tooth brush and it got maybe 30% of the paint off but now its not longer working. I am using Goof Off right now but it doesent seem to pull anything off.
jangofett234
Inductee Realmer

Postby Patraw » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:30 am

That's really strange--maybe Hasbro has switched to some kind of ultra durable paint? I also wonder if it's possible that it's not actually paint, but some kind of colored veneer?

Oh yeah, I was thinking about this some more last night, and you might want to look at your nail polish remover bottle to see what the active ingredients are, because I know that there are some non-acetone varieties. That being said, I read a customizing tutorial recently where a woman removed the face paint from a Monster High doll with non-acetone nail polish remover and it worked fine, although it did take longer.
Patraw
Elite Realmer

Postby Darththomas » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:23 am

You could try soaking it in mineral spirits, I did this with a figure that had gloss enamel all over it and the paint came off with some light scrubbing after an overnight soak.
FaceBook Emlyn Darthomas Thomas
WIP viewtopic.php?f=25&t=25093
Darththomas
Regulator

Postby Shinigami » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:01 pm

You want to remove every bit of paint there is or only printing/decals? I've found that a simple pencil eraser does the trick sometimes. Work on Lego minifigs like a charm.
Shinigami
Fanatic Realmer

Postby jangofett234 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:23 pm

Shinigami wrote:You want to remove every bit of paint there is or only printing/decals? I've found that a simple pencil eraser does the trick sometimes. Work on Lego minifigs like a charm.

Looking to remove all paint. Like this. http://www.ffurg.com/painting/redclone_before.jpg
http://www.ffurg.com/painting/redclone_after.jpg

Unfortunately I do not know how to post photos so this is the best I know how to do.
jangofett234
Inductee Realmer

Return to Custom Help / Questions / Info