Painting MOTU heads

Need help getting your custom completed? Looking for your next idea? Do you need some new tips or suggestions to complete your project? Come chat with us!

Moderator: Regulators

Painting MOTU heads

Postby peedubbayaherman » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:26 pm

I'm new to this site, so firstly hi all!

My question is regarding painting vintage MOTU heads. Basically, I want to give one a gloss finish for a project I'm working on, but am having some issues.

Firstly I tried gloss enamel, but this stayed all sorts of sticky. I then cleaned it off, primed it with acrylic, then tried the enamel again. Same problem.

I then spoke to Hunter Knight (some of you may know of him), and (after berating me for even thinking about using enamels!) he recommended using good old Citadel paints, specifically Ardcoat varnish. I bought some the other day, and having cleaned off the offending enamel, I started again. But alas the same problem (i.e. it's still dried a bit sticky).

However, this might not be a massive problem, as I'm my goal is to make a silicone mould of the head which I'll then cast in resin. So if I can get it through the moulding process, I'll be happy enough, but I have a fear though that this will rip the varnish off and I'll be back to square one.

I may well be making some rookie errors here, so if anyone has any advice, PLEASE HELP!

Cheers :)
peedubbayaherman
Newbie Realmer

Re: Painting MOTU heads

Postby Darththomas » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:45 am

It's usually down to the kind of plastic you're painting / sealing when you end up with sticky paint. I'm guessing it's one of the soft vintage heads you're painting? That would amke sense as they're usually a soft rubbery plastic. I have no idea why it happens (I'm not a scientist) and sadly I have no way to combat it either, I tend to stay away from sealant on soft plastic parts.
FaceBook Emlyn Darthomas Thomas
WIP viewtopic.php?f=25&t=25093
Darththomas
Regulator

Postby peedubbayaherman » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:50 am

Yeah it's the soft rubbery stuff. I think I may have to admit defeat on this one and just cast it as is.
Thanks for your reply anyway :)
peedubbayaherman
Newbie Realmer

Postby Truwe316 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:21 am

If you are cool with repainting the whole head, I would try using Dupi-Color Vinyl & Fabric spray (found at most auto parts stores). Let it dry overnight (it may feel dry to the touch but you should always let products properly cure) and then use acrylic paint to finish up.

Sorry Hunter berated you, sometime people forget that we are about art and we all have to start somewhere.

Good luck man
Truwe316
Casual Realmer

Return to Custom Help / Questions / Info