Citadel paints becoming gummy and solidifying.

Need help getting your custom completed? Looking for your next idea? Do you need some new tips or suggestions to complete your project? Come chat with us!

Moderator: Regulators

Citadel paints becoming gummy and solidifying.

Postby supersizeme » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:57 am

I recently bought a lot of the new Citadel/ Gamesworkshop paints off of ebay. These are the newer versions of paints they released a couple years ago. Half of the paints I received were solidified and extremely gummy. I don't understand why because they were brand new paints, I actually had to break the seal to open them. I have paints several years old and they are still good. I tried thinning them out with paint thinner but it still seems really thick. Does anyone have any experience with this happening to their paints. Should I just chuck them or is there any way to salvage them. Thanks in advance for any tips or advice.
supersizeme
Regulator

Re: Citadel paints becoming gummy and solidifying.

Postby Truwe316 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:49 am

Ah, one of the many reasons I stopped buying a lot of Citadels. I really don't think their bottles seal that well.

But to answer your question, I have uses distilled water and their thinner in the past to make the paint usable again. Good luck!
Truwe316
Casual Realmer

Postby Green Skin » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:08 pm

Sounds like the paint was exposed to heat of some sort. I left a few citadel paints in a hot car and they did the same thing you are describing. Thin it, mix it up as well as you can, and strain it if at all possible.
Green Skin
Regulator

Postby supersizeme » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:13 pm

Thanks guys, I will definitely try your suggestions. I am such a cheapo I don't want to just throw them away. I was hoping I could do something to salvage them. Even if it involved a little work. Now I have a direction to go with. thanks again Truwe316 and Green Skin.
supersizeme
Regulator

Postby Green Skin » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:37 pm

Green Skin
Regulator

Return to Custom Help / Questions / Info