Cosplay Debate

Show off your other non-figure custom creations here, such as model kits, garage-kits, dioramas, or maybe the next Clone Army invasion!

Moderator: Regulators

Cosplay Debate

Postby HeartBreakKid » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:34 pm

Okay so me and my brother were having a discussion about cosplaying (as per I intended to work on a costume) .And he says all that matters in the quality of costume ,I disagree'd and said that your race gender and build all factor in Like me being half black have no business dressing like the Lui Kang because Im not Oriental nor am I all cut like him.I claim you can have a nice costume but when the character details are wrong then the cosplay is wrong.Whats your opinions.
Friendly neighborhood moderator-Any Questions,Concerns,Just looking to chat feel free to PM!
Official member of the Untouchable Customs Team .
HeartBreakKid
Regulator

Re: Cosplay Debate

Postby Green Skin » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:31 pm

I think it's all about the costume. I just don't dig the idea of telling someone they're not the right race to cosplay a character. If someone wants to cosplay someone of a different race, go for it. It's supposed to be about having fun after all. Who cares if they're not 100% accurate to the character.
Green Skin
Regulator

Postby Darththomas » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:05 pm

Kind of a tough question to answer without possibly causing offence but I guess that's my point. Some costumes could cause offence to other races. Like your example of dressing as Liu Kang, if you attempted to change the color of your skin to match his oriental ethnicity you could very well cause offence to people of that ethnic origin. Just as if I chose to dress as mr.t and changed my skin color accordingly, that could cause offence, I guess it's all down to the people who would see your cosplay and whether they would be offended. Personally I wouldn't be offended if someone tried to emulate my skin color but some are.
FaceBook Emlyn Darthomas Thomas
WIP viewtopic.php?f=25&t=25093
Darththomas
Regulator

Postby Galactape » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:18 pm

It is a rather hard question to wander, I had to think about this one. I personally agree with Green skin. I think its really all about having fun, so I don't think it really matters about color, race, gender or size, were all God's children, and were all created equal, so I say, be who you wanna be. Good luck on your costume man!
Galactape
Realm of Famer

Postby shapp » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:43 pm

I personally think that the costume itself is one of the most important factors. I can understand where he is coming from but to say that someone who is black shouldn't dress up as non black characters is kind of wrong. I mean no disrespect from this but how few black characters are there when it comes to comics and anime? Why limit yourself to someone you don't really wanna dress up as just because you are the same race. I would look more at the fact that, regardless of race, it's nothing more than respect and love for the character that would garner that person wearing it. Now as for the "cut" aspect, that I can agree with lol. I am not cut at all and would probably give people nightmares if I tried to dressing up as Liu Kang =p

I will give my respect to any "heavier" person dressing in costume but I haven't been able to bring myself to do it yet lol. I'm like a freaking midget (5 foot 7) so it would be pretty darn funny looking though.
shapp
Fanatic Realmer

Postby Patraw » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:26 am

I don't think race/gender/build should matter for cosplaying; it should be about dressing up as the character you want to, not what other people think about how "right" you are, or aren't, for the role you've chosen. The world would be a boring place if you could only pretend to be people that you actually physically resemble.
Patraw
Elite Realmer

Postby Green Skin » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:57 pm

Patraw wrote:I don't think race/gender/build should matter for cosplaying; it should be about dressing up as the character you want to, not what other people think about how "right" you are, or aren't, for the role you've chosen. The world would be a boring place if you could only pretend to be people that you actually physically resemble.

That would certainly suck. I could only do General Zod or Sabretooth :lol: , neither of which are a favorite of mine.
Green Skin
Regulator

Return to Other Custom Creations