Re-Read Green Lantern: Rebirth

Want to gab about how pointy Batman's ears are or how far Spider-Man can go on a cartridge of web-fluid? Feel free to share your thoughts on all your favorite comics here!

Moderator: Regulators

Re-Read Green Lantern: Rebirth

Postby BurningDoom » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:51 am

I just re-read Green Lantern: Rebirth in one sitting in order to catch clues and other things to get ready for Blackest Night (darn I'm excited!) That is one of the greatest Green Lantern stories, EVER! And if anyone says different, they're wrong. GL: Rebirth is simply jaw-droppingly amazing.

The artwork is beautiful to look at. The colors are bright and vivid. The action looks full of energy. And the faces are full of emotion. I was taking in every detail. One in particular stood out: If you look at the Parallax entity, you can see that the squiggly lines through-out his body are actually a bunch of interlocking Sinestro Corps symbols. This GL Trilogy (Rebirth, Sinestro Corps War, and Blackest Night) Geoff Johns talks about was definetly planned-out from the beginning.

One of the best things about this series is that it takes so much from the Green Lantern mythos and pays respect to it and loyal fans; yet at the same time it explains everything so well and makes everything new again, almost inviting new fans. I also love that EVERYONE got a chance to shine in the book. It was mostly all about Hal's struggle; but Kyle, Guy, John, Green Arrow, and hell, even Sinestro all got darn good spots in the limelight.

You can also pick out clues to the inevitable Sinestro Corps War, and the impending Blackest Night through it. They're small, but they are there. I already pointed out the Sinestro Corps symbols on Parallax. But Sinestro discovering the use of Fear through Parallax is the foundations of the Sinestro Corps. Ganthet struggling with the concept of Hope is the foundation for the Blue Lantern Corps. Black Hand being drawn to the ring's power and deciding he should have just went for a ring to begin with is the spark that probably creates the Black Lantern Corps.

I plan on reading Sinestro Corps War again tomorrow and then Secret Origins after that and I'll probably be back on this thread to say more about them.

-Nate-
***CHECK OUT MY TRADE LIST***
Trade Movies, CDs, & Video Games at:
BurningDoom
Fanatic Realmer

Postby Chancellor » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:17 am

wow, nice one. you're totally right about the paralax thing! i really liked rebirth too. the part where hal's explaining all the GL's use of their rings is great writing. how kilowog's is the only one that makes a sound, that's great writing. I already re-read sinestro corps war last week, i caught some hints about ganthet talking about hope too. i wish i would've noticed the black hand/black lantern corps thing on my own, but i think i read that on wiki or something. i'm not sure if secret origin is gonna have that many clues, besides all the red lantern stuff, which obviously led into rage of the red lanterns.

some upcoming johns/van sciver work :arrow: FLASH: REBIRTH!

and geoff is gonna do a superman secret origin, which i'm also looking forward too.
Chancellor
Fanatic Realmer

Postby Collector1 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:59 pm

Haven't been able to find the TPB so only know the story through summaries. Upset that they reconed Parallax into a giant space flea from nowhere instead of John just snapping after having his whole world (Coast City not the Earth) blown up when he couldn't do anything about it. Made him more human and Parallax a more sympathetic character, IMO. I'm in the party that thinks Hal created the Parallax entity subconsciously during Zero Hour as a manner of exonerating himself of most of the guilt he felt after loosing it.
If you take a copy of the Christian Bible and put it out in the wind and the rain, soon the paper on which the words are printed will disintegrate and the words will be gone. Our bible IS the wind and the rain
Collector1
Avid Realmer

Postby BurningDoom » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:16 am

Collector1 wrote:Haven't been able to find the TPB so only know the story through summaries. Upset that they reconed Parallax into a giant space flea from nowhere instead of John just snapping after having his whole world (Coast City not the Earth) blown up when he couldn't do anything about it. Made him more human and Parallax a more sympathetic character, IMO. I'm in the party that thinks Hal created the Parallax entity subconsciously during Zero Hour as a manner of exonerating himself of most of the guilt he felt after loosing it.

I felt exactly the same way, at first. Parallax was a great villain not only because he was on the cosmic level and a former ally, but also because you kinda took the guy's side. I mean imagine if you were GL, and you spent a couple of decades laying your life on the line for everyone on Earth and in the comos, putting your life on hold for people you don't even know. Then suddenly your hometown is destroyed. So then you go about doing something for yourself for once by trying to "fix" the town, and get punished for it. I'd probably snap too.

But I've accepted it and moved on, because Geoff John's run with Hal Jordan has been fan-freaking-tastic. It's worth the loss of Parallax for what we've gotten in exchange.

-Nate-
***CHECK OUT MY TRADE LIST***
Trade Movies, CDs, & Video Games at:
BurningDoom
Fanatic Realmer

Postby Collector1 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:55 am

You'd be hard pressed to fine someone who hasn't. A good story is a good story is suppose.
If you take a copy of the Christian Bible and put it out in the wind and the rain, soon the paper on which the words are printed will disintegrate and the words will be gone. Our bible IS the wind and the rain
Collector1
Avid Realmer

Return to Comics Corner