Who is REALLY DC's Trinity?

Want to gab about how pointy Batman's ears are or how far Spider-Man can go on a cartridge of web-fluid? Feel free to share your thoughts on all your favorite comics here!

Moderator: Regulators

Who is REALLY DC's Trinity?

Postby BurningDoom » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:40 pm

They keep saying the Trinity is Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. But is that really true today? Has it been true for the last 20 years? I think that they are clinging on to old views which no longer work. Sure Superman and Batman are definetly their two biggest, but I'd say Green Lantern is and has been the 3rd rated character since Emerald Twilight happened way back in the early 90s, and Geoff Johns run on GL since Rebirth has cemented that 3rd place position (arguably the #1 position right now). Wonder Woman hasn't really had any memorable books or storylines since George Perez's run in the mid-to-late 80s.

This was just an observation.

-Nate-
***CHECK OUT MY TRADE LIST***
Trade Movies, CDs, & Video Games at:
BurningDoom
Fanatic Realmer

Re: Who is REALLY DC's Trinity?

Postby MrBlu » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:44 pm

maybe they added wonder woman up there so that DC didn't seem like a sausage-fest.
when I meet the Devil I'm a say my full name

MrBlu
Fanatic Realmer

Location: below the heavens in hell with your new imaginary friend

Postby Green Skin » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:03 pm

I agree with Green Lantern being part of the Trinity. After all he's going to have a live action movie before Wonder Woman.
Green Skin
Regulator

Postby Punstarr » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:48 pm

WW still had the live action show decades before Green Lantern's movie. Ask the average American who doesn't read comics who Wonder Woman and Green Lantern are. I guarantee you more people know who Wonder Woman is. That's why she's in the trinity.
Punstarr
Realm of Famer

Postby Green Skin » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:03 pm

Punstarr wrote:WW still had the live action show decades before Green Lantern's movie. Ask the average American who doesn't read comics who Wonder Woman and Green Lantern are. I guarantee you more people know who Wonder Woman is. That's why she's in the trinity.

Good point!
Green Skin
Regulator

Postby BurningDoom » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:10 pm

Punstarr wrote:WW still had the live action show decades before Green Lantern's movie. Ask the average American who doesn't read comics who Wonder Woman and Green Lantern are. I guarantee you more people know who Wonder Woman is. That's why she's in the trinity.

I'd say that people that are middle-aged and older know Wonder Woman better than GL, thanks to the TV show. But I bet if you ask people in the 20s or younger then they'd know Green Lantern better. It's how Marvel went with Captain America. In the 70s and for decades before, Captain America was a huge face for Marvel Comics. Then slowly The Incredible Hulk and Amazing Spider-Man became more recognizable. And even today, The X-Men has replaced Hulk for Marvel's image. I'd bet in the next 10 to 20 years Wonder Woman won't be in the forefront so much, unless they do something drastic with her.

-Nate-
BurningDoom
Fanatic Realmer

Postby therapist » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:01 pm

Call me old school but Wonder Woman is by far the best pick for 3rd member of the trinity. Not only does she represent the strength of females but also makes the trinity work playing moderator to bats and supes. The trinity also represents the greatest DC has to offer if you ask me Superman the best of the aliens Batman the greatest mortal and Wonder Woman the best of the Gods characters.
"Untouchable Customs"
therapist
Realm of Famer

Postby leafman343 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:57 am

You also have to consider that when you say Green Lantern, the question becomes which one? Hal? John? Kyle? Guy? or Alan Scott? There has only been one Clark Kent, or Bruce Wayne, or Diana Prince.
leafman343
Fanatic Realmer

Postby Green Skin » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:46 pm

leafman343 wrote:You also have to consider that when you say Green Lantern, the question becomes which one? Hal? John? Kyle? Guy? or Alan Scott? There has only been one Clark Kent, or Bruce Wayne, or Diana Prince.

Hal of coarse. 9 out of 10 people will think Hal Jordan when you mention Green Lantern.

You could say the same for Wonder Woman, or Batman. Or even Captain America for that matter. Multiple people have held the mantle but you always think of the classic.
Green Skin
Regulator

Postby Punstarr » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:54 pm

It's true, I will never consider James Barnes to be the real Captain America...

Though thanks to the Justice League cartoon, there are probably folks who immediately think of that black guy (not sure what his name is) when they think of Green Lantern. Then again, there are still folks like my mother who gets Green Lantern and the Green Hornet confused.
Punstarr
Realm of Famer

Postby leafman343 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:03 pm

Right, I'm just saying alot of people on the boards prefer Kyle over Hal and I've only ever heard of one person having the mantle of Wonder Woman.
I think what it really comes down to is that WW is a feminist icon and DC would probably get a bunch of flak from feminists if they didn't have a woman in the top 3.
leafman343
Fanatic Realmer

Postby BurningDoom » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:12 pm

leafman343 wrote:Right, I'm just saying alot of people on the boards prefer Kyle over Hal and I've only ever heard of one person having the mantle of Wonder Woman.
I think what it really comes down to is that WW is a feminist icon and DC would probably get a bunch of flak from feminists if they didn't have a woman in the top 3.

Both Queen Hippolyta and Artemis have been Wonder Woman. And yeah, Hal is definetly THE Green Lantern. And who says they'd get flak? Marvel doesn't get flak, and their flagships are all males. Spider-Man, Wolverine, Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk; all dudes.

-Nate-
BurningDoom
Fanatic Realmer

Postby leafman343 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:25 pm

But marvel doesn't have very many mainstream female characters with their own comic. Marvel doesn't have many major female characters that a person off the street can name. Honestly I can only think of 1 that doesn't play second fiddle to a male character or isn't on some sort of team like the x-men. and that's Elektra, but besides her DareDevil spin-off movie she isn't widely known.
(someone is going to show me up, I just know it :lol:)
leafman343
Fanatic Realmer

Postby Green Skin » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:15 pm

BurningDoom wrote:
leafman343 wrote:Right, I'm just saying alot of people on the boards prefer Kyle over Hal and I've only ever heard of one person having the mantle of Wonder Woman.

Both Queen Hippolyta and Artemis have been Wonder Woman. And yeah, Hal is definetly THE Green Lantern. And who says they'd get flak? Marvel doesn't get flak, and their flagships are all males. Spider-Man, Wolverine, Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk; all dudes.

-Nate-

Donna Troy was also WW for awhile.
Green Skin
Regulator

Postby therapist » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:01 pm

Hal can't be the 3rd member come on DC would get so much flak (lol I like that word flak flak flakity flak). He is a PEDO! First Arisia uses her ring to change her body (no excuse Hal) and also Supergirl who's next Lian Harper???
"Untouchable Customs"
therapist
Realm of Famer

Next

Return to Comics Corner