WAKE UP MARVEL!!!!

Want to gab about how pointy Batman's ears are or how far Spider-Man can go on a cartridge of web-fluid? Feel free to share your thoughts on all your favorite comics here!

Moderator: Regulators

Re: WAKE UP MARVEL!!!!

Postby therapist » Mon May 07, 2012 11:55 pm

pancho1007 wrote:
How do you guys add on whatever the other person said?

There is an option on top of the message box that says "quote", it's right next to "code". you just copy whatever you want and paste it in between quote.

but to answer the question putting someone else entirely new would be harder to sell than changing his/her skin color. sure you can put blade, or whoever you want, heck they could have made tinkerbell as the director of shield, however the back story would also have to be changed. nick fury is known to be the director of shield

I get that, but nick fury was also known to be white.I guess what im trying to say is that why did they do that? why pick fury? not cap?thor? or iron man?yes, i get that they are making great movies, but how long do you really think this is going to last? teenage mutant ninja turtles was big in the 90's...now theyre just a memory. i get big industries...i know that "profit" is what makes the wheels turn. Im just asking them to not forget what made them big in the first place.

Well I was not in the board room when the decision came down the pipe to turn Nick Black but from a simple business view it makes sense to turn Nick black. Its called risk vs reward. You RISK that by turning a character black (or any new/different race) that it can be a complete and utter failure of colossal proportion thus you don't take such a risk on a flagship character like Iron Man, Captain America, or Thor (can you imagine if Thor was black? remember the heimdell fiasco?) but the REWARD is this race change making the character more popular thus bringing you more money. To maximize your reward you have to use a character who isn't just some no name obscure character like Rtphoid Mary or Armadillo, you have to choose a character who already had some pull & popularity that will get people talking like "Whoa nick fury is black?" "Black Panther is white?" "Daredevil is mexican?" "Dr. Strange is Cambodian?" so you draw attention to your new potential money maker. Nick Fury fits this criteria very very well

Another potential reason is possibly that if it was met with absurd backlash then being Nick Fury they could turn him back White and write it up as LMD, disguise, or any number of things
"Untouchable Customs"
therapist
Realm of Famer

Postby jes13rz » Tue May 08, 2012 12:17 am

Well I was not in the board room when the decision came down the pipe to turn Nick Black but from a simple business view it makes sense to turn Nick black. Its called risk vs reward. You RISK that by turning a character black (or any new/different race) that it can be a complete and utter failure of colossal proportion thus you don't take such a risk on a flagship character like Iron Man, Captain America, or Thor (can you imagine if Thor was black? remember the heimdell fiasco?) but the REWARD is this race change making the character more popular thus bringing you more money. To maximize your reward you have to use a character who isn't just some no name obscure character like Rtphoid Mary or Armadillo, you have to choose a character who already had some pull & popularity that will get people talking like "Whoa nick fury is black?" "Black Panther is white?" "Daredevil is mexican?" "Dr. Strange is Cambodian?" so you draw attention to your new potential money maker. Nick Fury fits this criteria very very well

wait a minute, Thor was black?? :shock: I did not know that. when did this happen?I must have missed that.it would have been cool if daredevil was mexican, he would be known as "darediablo"! :D or what ever the spanish translation of dare is. dont we already have a "white" black panter? isnt she part of the avengers academy?
jes13rz
Inductee Realmer

Postby pancho1007 » Tue May 08, 2012 12:26 am

Well I was not in the board room when the decision came down the pipe to turn Nick Black but from a simple business view it makes sense to turn Nick black. Its called risk vs reward. You RISK that by turning a character black (or any new/different race) that it can be a complete and utter failure of colossal proportion thus you don't take such a risk on a flagship character like Iron Man, Captain America, or Thor

The popularity of the three was just as same as fury, they only made a name for themselves when the movies came out. there were even rumors that will smith was suppose to play captain america. What im trying to say is that it was unnecessary. It goes back to my point of creating original characters.changing race is just not my cup of tea.as for RISK/REWARD assessment, they could have easily come up with those excuses for cap/iron-man/thor. if anything I BELIEVE that fury was changed so that the avengers could have a little bit of mixture, its like what happened with the jla...they added cyborg so that its not an all "white" team.
pancho1007
Casual Realmer

Postby pancho1007 » Tue May 08, 2012 12:30 am

.it would have been cool if daredevil was mexican, he would be known as "darediablo"! or what ever the spanish translation of dare is

spanish for daredevil would be atrevido.
pancho1007
Casual Realmer

Postby therapist » Tue May 08, 2012 1:03 am

jes13rz wrote:

Not sure bout in avengers academy but I think there is a white black panther in ultimates

wait a minute, Thor was black?? :shock: I did not know that. when did this happen?I must have missed that.it would have been cool if daredevil was mexican, he would be known as "darediablo"! :D or what ever the spanish translation of dare is. dont we already have a "white" black panter? isnt she part of the avengers academy?

pancho1007 wrote:
Well I was not in the board room when the decision came down the pipe to turn Nick Black but from a simple business view it makes sense to turn Nick black. Its called risk vs reward. You RISK that by turning a character black (or any new/different race) that it can be a complete and utter failure of colossal proportion thus you don't take such a risk on a flagship character like Iron Man, Captain America, or Thor

The popularity of the three was just as same as fury, they only made a name for themselves when the movies came out. there were even rumors that will smith was suppose to play captain america. What im trying to say is that it was unnecessary. It goes back to my point of creating original characters.changing race is just not my cup of tea.as for RISK/REWARD assessment, they could have easily come up with those excuses for cap/iron-man/thor. if anything I BELIEVE that fury was changed so that the avengers could have a little bit of mixture, its like what happened with the jla...they added cyborg so that its not an all "white" team.

...You really think that fury was as popular as those three? EVen pre movies he wasn't but I suppose with some people opinion>fact. But I was just explaining why Fury was chosen over cap or iron man. Not why ANYONE was chosen. That is likely the same reason John Stewart was added to JLU over Hal Jordan or Kyle Rayner. Even though thats not what I was talking about when I gave you the risk vs reward assessment
"Untouchable Customs"
therapist
Realm of Famer

Postby pancho1007 » Tue May 08, 2012 1:19 am

...You really think that fury was as popular as those three? EVen pre movies he wasn't but I suppose with some people opinion>fact. But I was just explaining why Fury was chosen over cap or iron man. Not why ANYONE was chosen. That is likely the same reason John Stewart was added to JLU over Hal Jordan or Kyle Rayner. Even though thats not what I was talking about when I gave you the risk vs reward assessment

well there was a nick fury tv movie with david hasselhoff.cap/iron-man/thor were not selling so well as with their respective books. so my opinion is based on fact, unless youre talking about the big three having their own cartoon series.I would say all four of them were equally popular in the comic book world previous from the movies. what were you "thinking" when you gave your assessment then? wasnt adding john stewart to the jla an example of adding mixture to the all white jla? (with the exception of martian manhunter)? what is it that youre trying to say?how much did marvel really get for turning fury black? the way i see it, the only reward they got was that they could call the avengers a diverse team.I dont see the honor/creativity in that.
pancho1007
Casual Realmer

Postby jes13rz » Tue May 08, 2012 1:28 am

You really think that fury was as popular as those three? EVen pre movies he wasn't but I suppose with some people opinion>fact

i think fury was as popular. :D but i also think that we are getting off topic here. it really doesnt matter whos what race or whos in what team. the important thing that we can take away from this is that marvel is making tons of money no matter what they do with their books they would continue on making tons of money,andwhen the dust clears marvel will sit as a titan of its industry richer than it was before. :D
jes13rz
Inductee Realmer

Postby therapist » Tue May 08, 2012 1:30 am

pancho1007 wrote:

well there was a nick fury tv movie with david hasselhoff.cap/iron-man/thor were not selling so well as with their respective books. so my opinion is based on fact, unless youre talking about the big three having their own cartoon series.I would say all four of them were equally popular in the comic book world previous from the movies. what were you "thinking" when you gave your assessment then? wasnt adding john stewart to the jla an example of adding mixture to the all white jla? (with the exception of martian manhunter)? what is it that youre trying to say?how much did marvel really get for turning fury black? the way i see it, the only reward they got was that they could call the avengers a diverse team.I dont see the honor/creativity in that.

Cap had a TV movie as well. My assessment, as you are having such a hard time figuring out was WHY WOULD THEY CHOOSE NICK FURY OVER ANOTHER CHARACTER TO TURN BLACK. I don't think Marvel nor any other major company give a cats meow about other peoples opinions of honor/creativity when the profit speaks for itself and at the end of the day the profit is most all companies bottom line.
"Untouchable Customs"
therapist
Realm of Famer

Postby therapist » Tue May 08, 2012 1:36 am

jes13rz wrote:
You really think that fury was as popular as those three? EVen pre movies he wasn't but I suppose with some people opinion>fact

i think fury was as popular. :D but i also think that we are getting off topic here. it really doesnt matter whos what race or whos in what team. the important thing that we can take away from this is that marvel is making tons of money no matter what they do with their books they would continue on making tons of money,andwhen the dust clears marvel will sit as a titan of its industry richer than it was before. :D

You'll see race is a VERY big issue to pancho here and your right. No matter what anyone says, does or thinks Marvel will continue to rake in money by the truckloads. Comics as we knew them are dead and yet they are just as profitable if not more then ever. Seems you were right when you said Marvel already woke up.

P.S. Welcome to figurerealm
"Untouchable Customs"
therapist
Realm of Famer

Postby pancho1007 » Tue May 08, 2012 1:42 am

i think fury was as popular. but i also think that we are getting off topic here. it really doesnt matter whos what race or whos in what team. the important thing that we can take away from this is that marvel is making tons of money no matter what they do with their books they would continue on making tons of money,andwhen the dust clears marvel will sit as a titan of its industry richer than it was before.

You're ok with this? Do we just stand here and accept whatever garbage they peddle? you said so yourself that miles morales was a bad concept. where does it end? i get that their movies and other products brings them lots of money, but what do you think would happen when non-comic fans get tired of comic movies?marvel comics have been around for a good 70 odd years, comic movies have only been really popular for 12 years.how much longer before it collapses?
pancho1007
Casual Realmer

Postby therapist » Tue May 08, 2012 1:47 am

pancho1007 wrote:
i think fury was as popular. but i also think that we are getting off topic here. it really doesnt matter whos what race or whos in what team. the important thing that we can take away from this is that marvel is making tons of money no matter what they do with their books they would continue on making tons of money,andwhen the dust clears marvel will sit as a titan of its industry richer than it was before.

You're ok with this? Do we just stand here and accept whatever garbage they peddle? you said so yourself that miles morales was a bad concept. where does it end? i get that their movies and other products brings them lots of money, but what do you think would happen when non-comic fans get tired of comic movies?marvel comics have been around for a good 70 odd years, comic movies have only been really popular for 12 years.how much longer before it collapses?

Same can be said for anything my friend. The "perceived angry comic nerd" is a major factor of why comics had so many problems breaking in to the main stream to begin with. Also the few "comic" fans that are left of us won't make them change their mind by us boycotting, that will just push them further to push the product for the masses. Heck check my post you will see that I even said I HATE what comic con has become but at the same time I realize that boycotting won't make them stop. It will just make me miss the characters I enjoy.
"Untouchable Customs"
therapist
Realm of Famer

Postby pancho1007 » Tue May 08, 2012 1:52 am

Cap had a TV movie as well. My assessment, as you are having such a hard time figuring out was WHY WOULD THEY CHOOSE NICK FURY OVER ANOTHER CHARACTER TO TURN BLACK. I don't think Marvel nor any other major company give a cats meow about other peoples opinions of honor/creativity when the profit speaks for itself and at the end of the day the profit is most all companies bottom line.

Well I guess HONOR/CREATIVITY is something that you would lack... everyone has their flaws I guess. The only thing Im really having a hard time to figure out is your sense of logic, saying that cap had tv movies as well kinda puts him in the same league as fury, dont you think? the answer by the way is "yes".
pancho1007
Casual Realmer

Postby therapist » Tue May 08, 2012 1:58 am

pancho1007 wrote:

Well I guess HONOR/CREATIVITY is something that you would lack... everyone has their flaws I guess. The only thing Im really having a hard time to figure out is your sense of logic, saying that cap had tv movies as well kinda puts him in the same league as fury, dont you think? the answer by the way is "yes".

:lol: why are you always so aggressive? For real man, chill out. Your gunna get sick with all that pent up rage :lol: I don't get why you get to tell me what I think or what I lack but hey whatever floats your boat man. I am not gunna argue with someone who I have already bested :lol:

The reason I brought up Caps movie was because you pointed out Furys movie like it was some end all beat all point where cap has had his cartoons and a movie. Heck Howard the duck, Fantastic four, and Punisher all had movies while we are at it. Of course there was also the Incredible hulk had a tv series as well :lol:
"Untouchable Customs"
therapist
Realm of Famer

Postby jes13rz » Tue May 08, 2012 2:03 am

of course im not.i dont think any self respecting comic reader would be ok with this.but what can we do? even if we pull a million marvel comic subscribers, it wont stop the company.like i said before, their entire comic book department can go up in flames(knock on wood, dont want anyone losing their jobs or getting hurt) :| and they would still make profit.i know miles hernadez is nice, or the fact that jubilee is a vampire or anything that you said.i agree with everything cept for "fury" ( i even said that jackson should have been washington)there is nothing we can all do.

p.s.
thanks for welcoming me. :D i feel so honored and cool to be a part of this forum. 8)
jes13rz
Inductee Realmer

Postby jes13rz » Tue May 08, 2012 2:08 am

whoa whoa whoa...lets all cool down here for a bit. ive read the previous posts and i really dont want anyone starting an argument here. i know im new and all but there really is no need for any of this. we all agree that marvel books are bad, that is our common ground. no need to lash out. sorry if im over stepping my boundaries here.please dont take away my "welcome to figure realms". [-o< i just got acceprted :D
jes13rz
Inductee Realmer

PreviousNext

Return to Comics Corner