THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

Discuss the latest movies or television series, or debate old classics. Spoilers are allowed!

Moderator: Regulators

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

Postby RexLewis85 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:23 pm

Furthermore, I would like to see Black Mask and Harley Quinn for villains in this next installment. Or perhaps even Bane. You have to keep in mind that the villain or villains in this movie will have to live up to the death and destruction that The Joker brought about in TDK. That's why people like Catwoman or the freaking Penguin wouldn't work. They aren't big enough threats. Hush could also be a possibility. I've heard it thrown around that Christopher Nolan loves Hush. Characters like Hush and Black Mask present not only a problem for Batman, but for Bruce Wayne as well. So it's more of a global threat to that effect. If Harley is used, I could see her taking over where Mister J left off.
WHY SO SERIOUS??
RexLewis85
Avid Realmer

Postby leafman343 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:54 pm

I think what he means by ruined is that TDK Joker is really nothing more than a looney in clown makeup. When you take the makeup and costume away, there isn't really anything left that resembles the Joker. The Joker should be like his name-sake, The Clown Prince of Crime, a jester, someone who tells jokes, someone who isn't completely serious. Instead we get an anarchist, knife loving, lunatic who has a mildly creepy laugh.
leafman343
Fanatic Realmer

Postby RexLewis85 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:00 pm

leafman343 wrote:I think what he means by ruined is that TDK Joker is really nothing more than a looney in clown makeup. When you take the makeup and costume away, there isn't really anything left that resembles the Joker. The Joker should be like his name-sake, The Clown Prince of Crime, a jester, someone who tells jokes, someone who isn't completely serious. Instead we get an anarchist, knife loving, lunatic who has a mildly creepy laugh.

No, he was The Joker, but he was a realistic take on The Joker. The thing that people don't seem to get is this: Christopher Nolan is not Tim Burton. He's working with a more realistic Batman. In Nolan's Bat-verse, something like a guy getting dropped into a vat of chemicals and coming out with perma white skin and a permanent smile on his face simply would not work. I thought it was a refreshing take on a character that was becoming boring. Don't get me wrong, I love things like The Killing Joke, and The Man Who Laughs, but after awhile it was just the same oversaturation of a character that they were literally running out of things to do with. I had no issue with the fact that Nolan's Joker didn't go around telling corny jokes; but you can't deny, TDK's Joker did have a sense of humour albeit a very dark and cynical sense of humour. Not trying to make too much of an issue out of this, it's just Heath's Joker should be appreciated for what he is, and he shouldn't be compared to Jack Nicholson's Joker or even The Joker from the comics, because while he was inspired by all of those things, he was something else entirely. Something that will go down in history as a legend.
WHY SO SERIOUS??
RexLewis85
Avid Realmer

Postby sinigang » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:56 pm

just give us CATWOMAN :)
for more custom statue and bust visit
www.stoneddownunder.wordpress.com
sinigang
Inductee Realmer

Postby therapist » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:40 am

Punstarr wrote:
The Real Question wrote:
sephiroth wrote:Would be nice if they'd dig into the 70 years of batman comics and find a villain that hasn't been in the movies.

Deadshot
Catman
Firefly
Hush
Balck Mask
Talia Al Ghul
Clayface
Deathstroke
Harley Quin
Killer Croc
KGBeast
Man Bat
Mr Zsasz(i knew he was a cameo in begins but i dont care)
Red Hood
Soloman Grundy
Black Spider
Onomatopoeia
Prometheus
Rag Doll
Reaper

and I'm a comic fan.

You are? [smilie=confuzzled.gif] coulda fooled me. I know everyone of those characters minus reaper. Maybe I'm just a comic fanatic :lol:
"Untouchable Customs"
therapist
Realm of Famer

Postby RexLewis85 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:10 pm

I'm actually not all that familiar with Reaper either...I've heard of him, but never actually read any comics with him in it. Anyway...for TDKR I would like Black Mask to be the villain in it. If not him, then Hush.
WHY SO SERIOUS??
RexLewis85
Avid Realmer

Postby Punstarr » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:39 pm

Therapist wrote:
Punstarr wrote:
and I'm a comic fan.

You are? [smilie=confuzzled.gif] coulda fooled me. I know everyone of those characters minus reaper. Maybe I'm just a comic fanatic :lol:

Your average non-comic fan American knows who the Joker is. They have no idea who Hush or Red Hood are. If history has taught us anything, it's that Hollywood will not cater to the comic fans. Hollywood will cater to the the average non-comic fan when making the decision of who to include.
Punstarr
Realm of Famer

Postby Cherry Bomb » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:14 pm

Punstarr wrote:
Therapist wrote:
Punstarr wrote:
and I'm a comic fan.

Your average non-comic fan American knows who the Joker is. They have no idea who Hush or Red Hood are. If history has taught us anything, it's that Hollywood will not cater to the comic fans. Hollywood will cater to the the average non-comic fan when making the decision of who to include.

well wasnt ras al ghul wasnt a very known character and he was the main villain in the first film ,and when the red hood recently got the animated movie where there was lots of TV ads for it I'd say he stands a chance. also Iron man has 0 causally known villains in his films do well .so Id say its a exremely tough call to say anyone will or wont be in the film .
Like - Us(Untouchable Customs)
Member,Founder and Photographer of Untouchable Customs!
Cherry Bomb
Regular Realmer

Postby RexLewis85 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:37 pm

I don't see Red Hood being in it, because we haven't seen Robin yet in a Nolan film. That has to happen before there's ever a Red Hood, and to further reiterate what Cherry Bomb was talking about, Ras and Scarecrow were the villains for Batman Begins, and neither of them were known by the general public. That being said, the only villain I have any real issue with seeing in a Nolan movie is Penguin. I freaking hate that guy. I'm personally hoping for Black Mask, and according to some intel I've gotten lately, Black Mask was originally scheduled to make an appearance in The Dark Knight, but he was cut from the script. That tells me we've got a good chance at seeing him in this new one. Alot of people are saying Catwoman, but I really don't feel that she's needed in a Nolan Batman movie. Need I mention the abomination that was Halle Berry's Catwoman? I think that probably soured people on Catwoman for quite sometime.
WHY SO SERIOUS??
RexLewis85
Avid Realmer

Postby Punstarr » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:03 pm

At least Ra's and Scarecrow were fairly well-known by folks who watched the old animated series. I don't know. I suppose anything could happen, but I have little faith in Hollywood.

Note: I have never picked up a Batman comic since I'm a Marvel guy but I thoroughly enjoyed the old animated series from the 90s and 75% of the villains on that list were not in that show. What that tells me is that those villains are not what would be considered "classic" Batman adversaries, and that they are likely new characters created within ten years ago. Think about it like this... what would you say if someone told you it would be really cool if Mister Negative or Freak was the villain in the new Spider-Man movie?
Punstarr
Realm of Famer

Postby RexLewis85 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:16 pm

Again, as long as it ain't Penguin I won't care too much. If Catwoman is used, there will still have to be another villain, because Catwoman really isn't: A. Much of a villain and B. Not really a threat considering what Joker and Two Face brought about in TDK.
WHY SO SERIOUS??
RexLewis85
Avid Realmer

Postby therapist » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:26 pm

Punstarr wrote:At least Ra's and Scarecrow were fairly well-known by folks who watched the old animated series. I don't know. I suppose anything could happen, but I have little faith in Hollywood.

Note: I have never picked up a Batman comic since I'm a Marvel guy but I thoroughly enjoyed the old animated series from the 90s and 75% of the villains on that list were not in that show. What that tells me is that those villains are not what would be considered "classic" Batman adversaries, and that they are likely new characters created within ten years ago. Think about it like this... what would you say if someone told you it would be really cool if Mister Negative or Freak was the villain in the new Spider-Man movie?

Catman was mentioned in the animated series as being a friend of harley quinns :-" many of those characters on that list were created around or before Catman ...your logic has failed you.

RexLewis. Trust me she wasn't saying Red Hood would be in it she was just giving an example of how just becouse you may not know them doesn't mean they aren't well known. If I told you who she was hoping for you'd laugh.
"Untouchable Customs"
therapist
Realm of Famer

Postby The Real Question » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:12 pm

The Real Question wrote:Deadshot
Catman
Firefly
Hush
Balck Mask
Talia Al Ghul
Clayface
Deathstroke
Harley Quin
Killer Croc
KGBeast
Man Bat
Mr Zsasz(i knew he was a cameo in begins but i dont care)
Red Hood
Soloman Grundy
Black Spider
Onomatopoeia
Prometheus
Rag Doll
Reaper

guys the reason i chose these chacrters becouse i think that it would make sense that they would appear in the movie.
if you noticed i did not put each and every batman villein in there.
The Real Question
Elite Realmer

Postby Punstarr » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:03 pm

Therapist wrote:Catman was mentioned in the animated series as being a friend of harley quinns :-" many of those characters on that list were created around or before Catman ...your logic has failed you.

Not really. My point still stands. More non-comic fans are going to know who Ra's is than Catman (who I don't even recall being mentioned in TaS) or Hush since Ra's had such a major role in the animated series. Of that list of characters, how many would you call A list? Examples of A-list villains in Marvel include Doctor Doom, Magneto, Apocalypse, Doctor Octopus and the Red Skull.

Joker is A-list. He's probably the most well-known villain Batman has. Killer Croc? C-list at best. Penguin may be a joke but he's so well known that he's B-list.
Punstarr
Realm of Famer

Postby leafman343 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:52 am

The new villian should be Calendar Man, because the the Calendar Man is being forgotten and we cannot allow that to happen :badgrin:
leafman343
Fanatic Realmer

PreviousNext

Return to Movies and Televison Shows