Blackstar gift set (help needed)

Any news, rumors, questions or info about action figures.

Moderator: Regulators

Blackstar gift set (help needed)

Postby lord » Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:09 am

Hi, is there some collectors of this toys who can help me about this set :

I need any information about it you could have.
I have already asked this question in a few places but nobody seems to know anything !

Regards,

Sylvain
lord
Newbie Realmer

Postby Dr Nightmare » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:30 pm

Ooooohh....laser light....:shock:
Sorry, I've never seen those before....:P
Dr Nightmare
Realminator

Postby CJK Toy Bay » Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:29 pm

I'm suprised no one really knows anything about this set, you must have just been posting in the wrong places :lol:

If you check out the back or bottem of the box I'm sure you'll see 1984 someplace. Now for the little Blackstar history lesson 8)

The original Blackstar figures were released in 1983, 8 different figures, nothing really special. The 2nd series was released in '84 and introduced the new Laser Light feature. Nice new feature but unfortunately only 1 new figure in series 2. (Mara in the 1st series was replaced by Klone in the 2nd series, thus why Mara and Clone are typically the most expensive figures in the line)

The 3rd and last serieswas released later in '84 and only introduced 5 new figures and the Gift Set in question.

That was fact, now for my speculation :wink:

Series 2 basically bombed, back in the 80's there wasn't the collectors craze of needing 1 of everything thus a 2nd series with only 1 new figure was like Galoob shooting themselves in the foot. Laser Light action features are nice and all but when kids already have the figures it's gonna be hard to sell the parents on getting the same figure again just because it has a new feature. Series 2 didn't sell well...orders weren't what Galoob was expecting, now they have a warehouse of these Laser Light figs that no one wants. So let's pack 3 old figs in a nice little giftset and try to dump them that way. Not a bad idea but the line was already neck deep in quicksand with no help in sight.

As for a value, I've seen the set before but I don't remember if it was on eBay or just someones web site. I think it was around $70 or so because I remember thinking those 3 figs are worth $10 to $20 a piece carded and it seemed like a pretty good deal. Still passed on it though, still wouldn't mind adding it to my collection however :wink:

I hope the information was helpful and if you do plan on selling the item please post here or let me know in one way or another 8)
CJK Toy Bay
Casual Realmer

Postby biggypac1 » Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:41 pm

if i ever see one and pick it up for cheap anywhere, I'll sell it to ya, or trade. but, that will most likely not happen unless if i find it real cheap. otherwise, i won't get it, but what would ya buy it for?
wants kenner aliens & predators, and also starship troopers arachnids and bugs
biggypac1
Inductee Realmer

Return to General Action Figure Chatter