Nobody likes me and I'm not very good at what I do

Any news, rumors, questions or info about action figures.

Moderator: Regulators

Nobody likes me and I'm not very good at what I do

Postby VariablePenguin » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:58 am

is exactly how I feel about now. Not only did I NOT sell my figures, the person that DID bid on it, retracted there bid. Not only that but FREE SHIPPING and a gallery pictures and a border and a subtitle were still not a big enough grabber. Did my Spartan suck that bad? I thought it was pretty good. It's not as random as some of the stuff you see going on eBay sometimes so WTF?

Am I doing something wrong? Was there some club I needed to join other than the one's I'm in? Pretty much this proves to me how unlucky I am. I saw a poorly painted Blackbolt going for a rediculous amount and my decent Spartan with Marlowe gets a negative bid. :cry: :cry: makes me sad...

Just wanted to rant a little. :cry: *Tear*...

On a positive note, I sent my beginner's tutorial to Cap and he'll probably put it up later today. It's not super indepth, but we have some very indepth stuff on most subjects here anyway.
VariablePenguin
Elite Realmer

Postby Shinobitron » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:47 am

Don't feel bad, this happens to me all the time. If wasn't for me being one of the few people doing Transformers I'd be alot deeper in debt than I am. I've seen very good work out there with no bids just because one of the big names aren't attached to it. Marvel Legends seem to be the #1 series of customs were this happens.
Shinobitron
Regulator

Postby Dr Nightmare » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:31 pm

Most customizers need external validation to feel good about their customs, and it makes sense because you need feedback from customers and other customizers to get an idea if you're doing alright or not.

Luckily I don't need external validation to know I'm awesome 8)
Dr Nightmare
Realminator

Postby hawkeye » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:07 pm

Some people just dont appricate talent VP
Disconnect & Self Destruct one bullet at a time
hawkeye
Elite Realmer

Postby Kyle Robinson » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:04 am

Its all about timing my friend. Your spartan was quality work (the little was sort ugl but thats not your fault..lol). I know from experience that timing is everything. So when is the right time? YOU WILL NEVER KNOW> thats what is nice. I sold one fig for 30 bucks and the dude never payed. One month later I relisted and It sold for 80 bucks. Same pics (a little fancier HTML) but it was the same auction. Your doing exactly what you need to. You have a rad logo. You provide alot of detail. You offer a C.O.A. You take quality pictures. And are also a member Of case files (alot of customer tell me that how they found me) So dont worry. You dont suck. The only other thing I can say besides timing is Character choice. Spartan is cool, but he is also a tool in the eyes of some fans. He is the cyclops of the W.I.L.D.Cats. Now pu up your grifter (Not really, just an example) and you got buyes of his cult fallowing sworming. Ive seen a few spartans up but never a grifter (again just example) But I know how you feel. Its hard to part with your best work. Its like selleing pot and being a pot head. Bad for biznaz..lol. I collect therefor I want. So watch ebay and list it again when you feel the time is right. maybe start at a lower price and free shipping is rad and all but maybe just like 4 bucks should cover it. I satrt all mine at 10 bucks. darn DLC STARTS AT 99 CENTS AND TOP OUT AT 200-300. HE MAKES ME FEEL THE WAY FEEL RIGHT NOW..lol. like you saw my contest enty (you know the one) and I think it was just as good as DLC's but mine went for 50 and his went for 225.??????? My auctions are fancier than his and everything. But he can brag about Toyfare like we talked about.

p.s. I have never sold a deadpool for under 70 bucks (starting at 10) just to jive you an Idea if your planning on making a figure to solely sell on ebay.
Kyle Robinson
Elite Realmer

Postby Dr Nightmare » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:16 am

Meh. It's true about the timing, I've seen guys relist their customs up to 4 times before someone decides to bid $60+ on it. I didn't know who the hell Spartan was but I thought it looked cool. I'm not going to spend my money on it but I know it was good, lol.

Stick to comissions because that way you'll have a steady income.
Dr Nightmare
Realminator

Postby VariablePenguin » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:20 am

Step one: Make a new Grifter to either sell or replace my current one.
Step two: Sell it and Spartan in seperate auctions, but at the same time so the people interested in Grifter may drift in and look at Spartan (I need to make a new one anyway)
Step three: get in ToyFare (I sent them a letter with a bunch of pictures)
Step four: Get some frickin' commissions!!!! I would love to just have one commission.
VariablePenguin
Elite Realmer

Postby Dr Nightmare » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:30 am

Lol, I'd hire you if I had the cash :P

I just saw the DLC Vs Kyle auctions and I must say WHAT THE FUNGUS!? That is such a load of BS. I thought Kyle's was cooler and it went for that little!? (compared to the DLC) darn, that kind of favoritism pisses me off. You know what!? I DON'T want to be in Toyfare!! If being in it means getting non-sensical bids on my customs just because my name is on the auction then screw it, I don't need that kind of fame.

(and another thing Kyle, if I had seen that other custom you did I would have bid way more than 5 bucks :lol: )
Dr Nightmare
Realminator

Postby VariablePenguin » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:32 am

I don't "need" it per say, but if I got it, in all of my auctions would be links to guys from here. That's right, I will pimp my pals. ;)
VariablePenguin
Elite Realmer

Postby Kyle Robinson » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:33 am

Good Idea. Start cheap too. (i know its scary but it usually works out) and that reminds me. I have like 20 commissions this month and passed one dude. I sent him your way. let me know if he contacts you. I forget the name but he wanted 3 customs of himself to go on moterbikes (using marvel legends) and when I get piled up like this (20+ jobs) I always jack up my rates to a rediculous amount as to avoid more work (but if thet pay I score) he wanst down so I sent him to you since you want some commissions so bad. I was only a few days ago.
Kyle Robinson
Elite Realmer

Postby VariablePenguin » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:36 am

Yeah, "it usually works out". :lol: Last time I did that it sold for like $12 and I almost didn't want them to have it. I'll try like $5 next time to start, that's low enough and almost the cost of a real figure.

Thanks for the bone, I haven't heard from him yet though. If he emails me, I'll let you know.
VariablePenguin
Elite Realmer

Postby Kyle Robinson » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:44 am

Dr Nightmare wrote:Lol, I'd hire you if I had the cash :P

I just saw the DLC Vs Kyle auctions and I must say WHAT THE FUNGUS!? That is such a load of BS. I thought Kyle's was cooler and it went for that little!? (compared to the DLC) darn, that kind of favoritism pisses me off. You know what!? I DON'T want to be in Toyfare!! If being in it means getting non-sensical bids on my customs just because my name is on the auction then screw it, I don't need that kind of fame.

(and another thing Kyle, if I had seen that other custom you did I would have bid way more than 5 bucks :lol: )

Yeh I forgot about that!! 5 bucks my bum. I almost didnt even want it like VP said. Are you talking about the 2 secret figures (one who might fly and one who might have guns he can smell from far away?) that are contest entries that every one will now once they see thpics anyways...lol At least I submitted them without my logo this time.
Kyle Robinson
Elite Realmer

Postby Dr Nightmare » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:48 am

Yep those are the ones xD I desperately tried to not look at the customs because I know you guys put them on Ebay but I just had to see what you were talking about with DLC :lol: SOOOOOOOO messed up :x
Dr Nightmare
Realminator

Postby Kyle Robinson » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:51 am

Im making a face paint puisher right now too. and he (DLC) puts one on ebay with the same base figure like two days later. its currently at like 70 bucks with like 3 days left but im sure its topping out at over 100 for sure. MINE WILL BE BETTER DAMMIT. AAHAHHAHHAHHHAHAHAHHAHHHHAAAA.
Kyle Robinson
Elite Realmer

Postby Kyle Robinson » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:52 am

Its like he reads my mind. I was talking to him yesterday and told him to make a deadpool. That should be intresting too see. Oh and thanks for the props Doc I thought mine was cooler too.
Kyle Robinson
Elite Realmer

Next

Return to General Action Figure Chatter