Are you embarrassed/ashamed.

Any news, rumors, questions or info about action figures.

Moderator: Regulators

Re: Are you embarrassed/ashamed.

Postby bobtheodd » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:13 pm

ScarecrowMan666 wrote:My wife recently made me very ashamed that I still collected G.I. Joes....so I've stopped collecting them. I'm sticking to horror stuff now...she doesn't seem to think badly about that stuff.

Why, whats her problem with GIJoe?
bobtheodd
Elite Realmer

Postby Mr.Melter » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:15 pm

I'm proud of my collection, anyone gives me grief about them i show them my over/under. Now the 7000 plus movies, those i'm embarassed by. I just cant stop till i own them all. ;p
Mr.Melter
Regular Realmer

Postby cincicustoms » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:26 am

For most of my life I was a "closet geek" and my folks always made fun of me. My girlfriend now is totally all about the geeky stuff, including action figures and customizing (she customizes My Little Ponies! LOL) so she has brought out the inner geek. My folks still tease, especially since I have more toys NOW than I had as a kid, but whatever. Its all good
cincicustoms
Inductee Realmer

Postby Mazinga » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:18 pm

Only my Mother and Sister think its ridiculous but shoe buying/purse infatuations is my quick counter method. I'm not ashamed to collect, the fact that I found a small hobby to kind of put me in that "nostalgic", moment makes me happy. Always had random toys here and there growing up (GI-Joe especially) but actually appreciating the sculpt and artistry, started Freshman year of high. When my Dad bought me the first 5 figures from the Marvel Legends series 1 at a local Blockbuster. Sometimes I do feel embarrassed because I look around and see how much I spent over the years, so my collection tends to fluctuate. But I always buy 4 for every one I sell away so... lol I think its way to late to be ashamed. I just try to stick to the ones that really catch my eye and give me variety in my displays. I was able to get my childhood friend/band mate involved with collecting, THANK GOD!! I didn't know anyone else to rant too or go figure hunting with in my state. Though a trip to Wal-Mart reminds me they are out there.
-j.lee
Mazinga
Inductee Realmer

Postby BKZ718 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:18 pm

When you are able to openly embrace who you are, your life will filter itself out automatically. And those people whether they are friends or family who were never real with you to begin with will all disappear. Plus you will be happier!
BKZ718
Fanatic Realmer

Postby DiceMan » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:54 pm

i get made fun of all the time but i dont' mind
see im a big bad arse guy and most ppl see me as the fighter i am but i have always been a nerd and i don't hide it but yeah i do get made funn alog bug my nhephews love it and my daughter thinks its cool that alya matte to i wo
DiceMan
Elite Realmer

Postby therapist » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:54 pm

DiceMan wrote:i get made fun of all the time but i dont' mind
see im a big bad arse guy and most ppl see me as the fighter i am but i have always been a nerd and i don't hide it but yeah i do get made funn alog bug my nhephews love it and my daughter thinks its cool that alya matte to i wo

:-k looks like you started drinking and it really kicked in near the end.
"Untouchable Customs"
therapist
Realm of Famer

Postby bobtheodd » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:20 am

Therapist wrote: :-k looks like you started drinking and it really kicked in near the end.

:lol:
bobtheodd
Elite Realmer

Postby advocatepinoy » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:32 am

i gotta be honest, back then, i was --
people look at me when i'm on the bus and i have these plastic bags with toys in it ..
browsing at toy stores or hobby shops alone --

but when i got the hang of it -- everything seems fine -- i buy what i need and just ignore the onlookers :)
advocatepinoy
Regular Realmer

Postby eldraxo » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:49 pm

I never had any problems until recently... I always just bought my toys with my hard earned cash, no funny looks, no shame, no reservations. That was until Thanksgiving... Me and my sister went to King Soopers to buy some last minute thanksgiving items. I passed the toy aisle and went to see if they had anything, they usually don't. But on this particular day they had just the toy i was looking for (DCUC Orion)! Needless to say i was picking this toy up! So i get to check out counter and lady (ugly late 20 - early 30 something y/o hag) looks at the toy and then looks at me and opens her gum smaking mouth and says, "who is that toy for?" I answer "its for me." She replies "I was afraid that was going to be the answer" WTF! is what i'm thinking! The funny thing was that she thought she had the upper hand. I tell her that toy customizing is a hobby of mine. I mean who is she to judge? She's the one who's working at a king soopers! I on the other hand am a college graduate with a job i love and i play guitar, I'm a professional actor, the list goes on and on. Despite that little hick up i walked away a pretty content man that day. Everyone who's seen my work/collection loves it so no, i have nothing to be ashamed of in my action figure collecting ways.
eldraxo
Regular Realmer

Postby bobtheodd » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:17 pm

eldraxo wrote:I never had any problems until recently... I always just bought my toys with my hard earned cash, no funny looks, no shame, no reservations. That was until Thanksgiving... Me and my sister went to King Soopers to buy some last minute thanksgiving items. I passed the toy aisle and went to see if they had anything, they usually don't. But on this particular day they had just the toy i was looking for (DCUC Orion)! Needless to say i was picking this toy up! So i get to check out counter and lady (ugly late 20 - early 30 something y/o hag) looks at the toy and then looks at me and opens her gum smaking mouth and says, "who is that toy for?" I answer "its for me." She replies "I was afraid that was going to be the answer" WTF! is what i'm thinking! The funny thing was that she thought she had the upper hand. I tell her that toy customizing is a hobby of mine. I mean who is she to judge? She's the one who's working at a king soopers! I on the other hand am a college graduate with a job i love and i play guitar, I'm a professional actor, the list goes on and on. Despite that little hick up i walked away a pretty content man that day. Everyone who's seen my work/collection loves it so no, i have nothing to be ashamed of in my action figure collecting ways.

I think I would have made a scene....but that me, I love to get loud and yell "Get me your manager!!!" Sometime I have to make my own fun. \:D/ :lol:
bobtheodd
Elite Realmer

Postby RexLewis85 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:35 pm

My ex used to encourage my toy collecting hobby, and then she began to degrade me about it...that was near the end of our relationship. Now I'm single, and nobody gives me any crap about the stuff I buy. My dad will occasionally give me an odd look here and there, but that's about it. All in all, despite the fact that I'm single, I'm happy that I don't have to run this stuff by somebody else...and I can just get what I want. I also have a daughter that I'm going to try to get into action figures, I'll probably end up giving her some of my old stuff to get her started off...when she gets a little older that is. She's only 2 right now, so she wouldn't properly understand that sort of stuff.
WHY SO SERIOUS??
RexLewis85
Avid Realmer

Postby bjpalm1994 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:28 pm

Embarassed/Ashamed? HECK No! :lol: I stand up tall and proud about my figure collecting! I do recall in high school though that I never knew of anyone that had an interest in figures like I did. I knew of a few people that were into comics but not toys. In some ways back then I was quiet about it but as I got older it didn't bother me one bit. I think that is what it comes down to is finding people with like interest and hobbies such as on this very site. The only complaint that my wife has is that I sometimes buy more than I have room for. But I in no way hide my hobbies of figures & comics. GEEKS RULE!! :lol:
bjpalm1994
Fanatic Realmer

Postby savage213king » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:42 pm

]Embarassed/Ashamed? HECK No! :lol: I am on like a dozen forums with all kinds of people and I have a massed a great ammout of figures and still want more lol. I do recall in high school though that I never knew of anyone that had an interest in figures like I did. I knew of a few people that were into comics but not toys. In some ways back then I was quiet about it but as I got older it didn't bother me as much. I think that when I found some people with like interest and hobbies such as on this site I felt a lot better. The only complaint that the Staff who work at my house has is that I sometimes buy more than I have room for. But I in no way hide my hobbies of figures & comics. I have to say though my roomate makes fun of me alot though cuz of my collection but I dont listen to him cuz he is a dumb@$$ anyways lol
savage213king
Inductee Realmer

Postby ryuskrew » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:42 pm

I'm 18, I just graduated high school (as of today actually! :D), I'm an artist, singer (well, I dabble), I work out so I'm rather muscular, and I collect toys. I am only but a very small bit ashamed, but in the same sense, I'm living to enjoy it more and more. I can proudly walk into a store (such as a department store, Toys R' Us or whatever) and go straight to the toy aisle. It doesn't bother me in the least bit anymore. I have all my figs surrounding my desk at the moment too, mostly robots (Bionicles/Transformers) but no. I'm not ashamed. I'm darn proud. I love it. They bring me a sort of joy that nothing else can, and when my graphic novel customs are done, it'll be even better ;D
ryuskrew
Regular Realmer

PreviousNext

Return to General Action Figure Chatter