Why does everyone hate Marvel Universe so much?

Any news, rumors, questions or info about action figures.

Moderator: Regulators

Re: Why does everyone hate Marvel Universe so much?

Postby Green Skin » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:16 am

whiskeytango wrote:
eldraxo wrote:I also HATE AVI ARAD, Everything bad at marvel is his fault (Spider-Man 3) and I know he has something to do with Toy Biz and the license of Marvel toys going to Hasbro, that piece of Eurotrash can burn in hell, have a nice day.

Well, my guess there would be all that happened was Toybiz's contract was up, and Hasbro offered Marvel more money.

Also, as far as Spiderman 3 goes, you can't take all the blame off of Sam Raimi. Assuming hes sane, theres no way he could have gone into the franchise thinking he wouldn't have to do Venom at some point. Despite current fan backlash against Venom, he remains one of Spidermans most popular villains. Raimi should have swallowed his childish pride, and treated the character with at least a little respect.

Back to the topic though... yeah, MU blows. Bad sculpts, bad articulation, bad paint, difficult scale than most peoples collections, high price... it really just goes on and on.

Actually the way Venom was done was forced on him. He never wanted to do Venom, and when they made him they wouldn't let him do it they way that he wanted. Plus there's also Topher Graces complete lack of acting skills.
Green Skin
Regulator

Postby whiskeytango » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:45 am

Everyone knows it was forced on him, thats why I said he knew he'd "have" to do Venom at some point. What I was trying to say was he should have just realized that, and either not made the movie, or put aside his bias and done the best he could with the character. Unfortunately, he chose hidden choice #3: make a truly terrible film that was bad enough it made me question how much I really liked the first two.
Check out my Customs Blog here: http://whiskeytangoscustomshop.blogspot.com/
whiskeytango
Fanatic Realmer

Postby Green Skin » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:17 am

whiskeytango wrote:Everyone knows it was forced on him, thats why I said he knew he'd "have" to do Venom at some point. What I was trying to say was he should have just realized that, and either not made the movie, or put aside his bias and done the best he could with the character. Unfortunately, he chose hidden choice #3: make a truly terrible film that was bad enough it made me question how much I really liked the first two.

Gotcha. The third one basically ruined the whole trilogy for me too. Venom could have been super cool, but as soon as they cast Topher Grace it was doomed.
Green Skin
Regulator

Postby Golden Wolf » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:18 am

Why does everyone hate Marvel Universe so much?
Because They Suck ! =D>
In The Darkness Is Where I Shine !
tnregime.com - The best clothing company's out
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20647
http://www.myspace.com/hawaiianpunisher
http://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=700359085&refid=13
Golden Wolf
Regulator

Postby Green Skin » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:42 am

Golden Wolf wrote:Why does everyone hate Marvel Universe so much?
Because They Suck ! =D>

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Green Skin
Regulator

Postby hawkeye » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:13 pm

I don't think they're bad, they are just different. I have 90% of the TBML and prefer smaller scaled figures. People don't like change.
Disconnect & Self Destruct one bullet at a time
hawkeye
Elite Realmer

Postby PEEPEETRON » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:17 pm

I have picked up a few and am not impressed...Considering the Hasbro has been doing G.I. Joe and Star Wars toys in this scale for over 25 years one would assume that a Marvel line in the same scale would not seem so undeveloped and trial and error...Case in point Jean Grey head/neck, the head of any maskless Wolverine, crotch joints on IM2 comic series War Machine and Crimson Dynamo...There is also alot of inconsistancy with quality from figure to figure and it has been over a year since the lines debut and they have yet to take advantage of the new scale by making playsets and vehicles (onlyexception thus far is X-men Orgins)...I'm also still bummed that the Mail away Nick Fury ended up being bait to get more people to get online comic subscriptions and opposed to a true mail away...
http://figurerealm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17149
http://www.figurerealm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18741
"When you're feeling low and woozy slap a fresh clip in you Uzi!
Assume the proper firing stance and make those suckers jump and dance!"
PEEPEETRON
Regular Realmer

Postby therapist » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:19 pm

Why does everyone hate Marvel Universe so much? Just cause you like them lol j/k
"Untouchable Customs"
therapist
Realm of Famer

Postby Wesr » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:23 pm

Hasbro's pulling crap like the mail in thing with that Recon Ravage from teh ROTF line, that deal's been going for months and they have yet to mail them out. Apparenlty unlike in the 80s where you sent the stuff in and got it ASAP they're waiting for it to be over before they send everyone's figures.
Wesr
Realminator

Postby scarlet_magpie » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:12 am

whiskeytango wrote:
eldraxo wrote:I also HATE AVI ARAD, Everything bad at marvel is his fault (Spider-Man 3) and I know he has something to do with Toy Biz and the license of Marvel toys going to Hasbro, that piece of Eurotrash can burn in hell, have a nice day.

Well, my guess there would be all that happened was Toybiz's contract was up, and Hasbro offered Marvel more money.

Also, as far as Spiderman 3 goes, you can't take all the blame off of Sam Raimi. Assuming hes sane, theres no way he could have gone into the franchise thinking he wouldn't have to do Venom at some point. Despite current fan backlash against Venom, he remains one of Spidermans most popular villains. Raimi should have swallowed his childish pride, and treated the character with at least a little respect.

Back to the topic though... yeah, MU blows. Bad sculpts, bad articulation, bad paint, difficult scale than most peoples collections, high price... it really just goes on and on.

Toybiz IS Marvel....
scarlet_magpie
Fanatic Realmer

Postby PEEPEETRON » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:57 pm

sephiroth wrote:Hasbro's pulling crap like the mail in thing with that Recon Ravage from teh ROTF line, that deal's been going for months and they have yet to mail them out. Apparenlty unlike in the 80s where you sent the stuff in and got it ASAP they're waiting for it to be over before they send everyone's figures.

I love mail away stuff and think the handle it well with other lines like Star Wars with Captain Rex, Qui-gon Jin w/ Opie, the current Nadar-vebb and the upcoming retro Boba Fett...Hasbro has just gotten license hungry and has bit off more than they can chew...
http://figurerealm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17149
http://www.figurerealm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18741
"When you're feeling low and woozy slap a fresh clip in you Uzi!
Assume the proper firing stance and make those suckers jump and dance!"
PEEPEETRON
Regular Realmer

Postby Shinobitron » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:13 am

It comes down to price and Quality for me. The price is WAAAY to high for a 3.75" figure and last I heard the price is gonna go up to $10. Secondly is the quality. Out of the few I bought they are very fragile and the limbs either stick and break when you turn them or they just are wobblers in the wind due to super looseness. THe paint apps on the guys are totally crap as well as I went thru 4 ironman figures before I found one that didnt have paint splatter on him.
Shinobitron
Regulator

Postby Baiji » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:26 am

Several Points:

Marvel Legends was a hugely popular line for collectors, with many people having spent a fair bit of cash in to it, getting most of the 'core' characters, so shifting to a new scale was not a desirable option for many.

Additionally when Hasbro took over the licence the general fan-boy internet buzz was that they would ruin the line and shift it to their more normal smaller scale and to all intents and purposes, that is what they did.

Hasbro then proceded to release several of the few remaining consistantly requested characters that the Marvel Legends collectors had been crying out for (Enchantress, Jean Grey, Warpath, Wrecking Crew, etc), but in the Marvel Universe line. Essentially this suggested either: 'Look here are the figures you have been asking for, buy this line' or 'screw you Legends collectors this is the line you get now'.

The smaller scale simply cannot produce the level of detail or articulation that the Marvel Legends line became associated with and often led the way with. So many ML collectors were probably not simply 'I collect Marvel toys' people, this isn't to say those people are wrong, just different set of collectors. Additionally, customising in the smaller scale isn't as popular for the same detail reasons.

Price.

And totally in my own opinion:

The smaller scale look more like 'toys', but Legends, especially if I have just one or two on my desk look more like adult toys or statues, eg. I can get away with 6'' figures to pose and display, but smaller ones make me feel slightly more of a social outcast... ;)

Because of above, I have no interest in collecting vehicles or other playsets, so the smaller scale doesn't benefit me there.

I wasn't a toy collector as an adult prior to ML's, they got me back in to both toys and comics, I don't collect or have any desire to collect any other toy lines.

Being essentially a non-hobbyist, I have no opinion on Hasbro as a company or Toybiz or any others, I just want the great figures that Marvel Legends were. Having said that, it got much harder for many of us non-US (I'm in the UK) collectors to get any of the Hasbro Marvel Legends, with several not getting any release here.
Baiji
Inductee Realmer

Postby marvelselect » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:07 pm

Marvel Universe: just one more reason for me to hate Hasbro. :x :x :x
I agree with everything said here. I miss Toy Biz more than ever.
the price:
Dose Hasbro realy think I am going to pay $8 for a 3" figure when back in the day I could get a Marvel Legends with a comics and B-A-F piece for that. I don't think so!
the detail:
Have you seen the new mu goblins? They put them to shame!
Once again I say:
R.I.P. Toy Biz
:cry: :cry: :cry:
Why Marvel, why?
Jesus saves! Seriously, you need to know this.
marvelselect
Regular Realmer

Postby Pock63 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:37 pm

Bellieve it or not Marvel Legends were actually $7. when they first came out so they were actually cheaper than Marvel Universe!
You'll be lucky if you're one of the few to find someone who can tolerate you.
Pock63
Realm Addict

PreviousNext

Return to General Action Figure Chatter