Sprays to Keep Dust Off?

Any news, rumors, questions or info about action figures.

Moderator: Regulators

Sprays to Keep Dust Off?

Postby ArchdukeJames » Sun May 16, 2010 2:28 am

Hey friends, I am brand new to this forum but a long time action figure fan.

I have a fairly decent collection (about 400) of mostly open-air action figures. This last month, I spent the super laborious task of cleaning off the action figures of several years worth of accumulated dust. This process was long, labour intensive, and frankly a pain in the neck. I don't want to do it again, or if I do have to do it again, I want it to be easier. As I cannot right now spring for glass cases (though I should like to do that eventually) to house my collection, I am wondering if any of you guys might know of any spray, liquid, or something else you might spray on the action figures to keep dust off?

Now, I know that sprays won't permanently keep the dust off. But anything that might repel it a bit or keep it more likely dust-free I'd be really interested in using.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again.
ArchdukeJames
Newbie Realmer

Re: Sprays to Keep Dust Off?

Postby Green Skin » Sun May 16, 2010 2:51 am

Have you tried Endust? Otherwise any kind of static eliminator will help keep dust off as well.
Green Skin
Regulator

Postby ArchdukeJames » Sun May 16, 2010 9:29 pm

Green Skin wrote:Have you tried Endust? Otherwise any kind of static eliminator will help keep dust off as well.

Thanks friend!

Will Endust keep dust off, though? Or will it clean dust off that has all ready accumulated?
ArchdukeJames
Newbie Realmer

Postby Wesr » Sun May 16, 2010 9:36 pm

i'd try this stuff on a figure you don't like just in case it acts funny with plastic/paint. i'd just invest in some cans of air for cleaning computers or a mini vaccum cleaner they make for them. i'm dreading doing it too. i'm tempted to get one of those filter things you see in sharper image.
Wesr
Realminator

Postby Green Skin » Sun May 16, 2010 10:28 pm

ArchdukeJames wrote:
Green Skin wrote:Have you tried Endust? Otherwise any kind of static eliminator will help keep dust off as well.

Thanks friend!

Will Endust keep dust off, though? Or will it clean dust off that has all ready accumulated?

It's a dust repellent, so it should. The Endust for Electronics is the one you want to get. The same qualities that make it anti static also aid in the dust repelling. Should do like Seph suggested though and try it out on a junk figure.
Green Skin
Regulator

Postby ArchdukeJames » Mon May 17, 2010 9:08 pm

Green Skin wrote:
ArchdukeJames wrote:

Thanks friend!

It's a dust repellent, so it should. The Endust for Electronics is the one you want to get. The same qualities that make it anti static also aid in the dust repelling. Should do like Seph suggested though and try it out on a junk figure.

Yeah I would definitely, definitely make sure not to have any sort of paint issue. That's one of the reasons I'd be scared to do it on anything but an inconspicuous place on a cheap action figure.
ArchdukeJames
Newbie Realmer

Postby ArchdukeJames » Mon May 17, 2010 9:09 pm

sephiroth wrote:i'd try this stuff on a figure you don't like just in case it acts funny with plastic/paint. i'd just invest in some cans of air for cleaning computers or a mini vaccum cleaner they make for them. i'm dreading doing it too. i'm tempted to get one of those filter things you see in sharper image.

Sounds like a plan.
ArchdukeJames
Newbie Realmer

Postby ArchdukeJames » Thu May 20, 2010 8:42 am

Hey guys, the company got back to me and told me that these ingredients are in Endust for Electronics. Tell me if these would be safe:

The product contains Isopropyl Alcohol, Ether, Butane and Propane.
ArchdukeJames
Newbie Realmer

Postby ArchdukeJames » Sat May 22, 2010 7:01 pm

Anyone know if those will strip paint or cause other damage?
ArchdukeJames
Newbie Realmer

Postby Green Skin » Sat May 22, 2010 11:58 pm

ArchdukeJames wrote:Anyone know if those will strip paint or cause other damage?

I don't think the quantities in the spray will hurt anything, but best to be sure...try it on a junk figure.
Green Skin
Regulator

Postby ArchdukeJames » Sun May 23, 2010 5:45 pm

Green Skin wrote:
ArchdukeJames wrote:Anyone know if those will strip paint or cause other damage?

I don't think the quantities in the spray will hurt anything, but best to be sure...try it on a junk figure.

I'm going to get it and try it.

I'll report back.
ArchdukeJames
Newbie Realmer

Postby mega_star_andro » Wed May 26, 2010 9:37 am

Really want to know how this turns out. I have about 100 MIP figures on my walls. I would dust them with a swiffer cloth every now and then. One monday I was off and decided to hand clean all of them. I used a slightly damp cloth with a water/very light dish soap mix. It literally took 24 hours to do them all but they shined bright after that. They were sitting up there for about 10 years, the oldest ones.
andro6657 on youtube and ebay
andro6657 customso-n-collectables on Facebook
mega_star_andro
Regular Realmer

Postby Top-notch comix » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:50 pm

mega_star_andro wrote:Really want to know how this turns out. I have about 100 MIP figures on my walls. I would dust them with a swiffer cloth every now and then. One monday I was off and decided to hand clean all of them. I used a slightly damp cloth with a water/very light dish soap mix. It literally took 24 hours to do them all but they shined bright after that. They were sitting up there for about 10 years, the oldest ones.

:shock: That is one of the most frightening things I've ever heard!!! And my Mom wants me to clean mine off soon... Not so fun... :?
Top-notch comix
Realm of Famer

Postby mega_star_andro » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:35 am

Top-notch comix wrote:
mega_star_andro wrote:Really want to know how this turns out. I have about 100 MIP figures on my walls. I would dust them with a swiffer cloth every now and then. One monday I was off and decided to hand clean all of them. I used a slightly damp cloth with a water/very light dish soap mix. It literally took 24 hours to do them all but they shined bright after that. They were sitting up there for about 10 years, the oldest ones.

:shock: That is one of the most frightening things I've ever heard!!! And my Mom wants me to clean mine off soon... Not so fun... :?

Which part is frightening?
andro6657 on youtube and ebay
andro6657 customso-n-collectables on Facebook
mega_star_andro
Regular Realmer

Postby Top-notch comix » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:18 pm

mega_star_andro wrote:
Top-notch comix wrote:

Which part is frightening?

dusting for 24 hours!
Top-notch comix
Realm of Famer

Next

Return to General Action Figure Chatter