Concerning ToyFare Magazine and Customizers

Any news, rumors, questions or info about action figures.

Moderator: Regulators

Concerning ToyFare Magazine and Customizers

Postby Jin Saotome » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:04 am

With all the talk of people getting their customs into ToyFare I'd like for you all to know I am feverishly working with the senior editor Adam Tracey to get a larger, and easier to submit-to 'HomeMade Heroes' section back into ToyFare. You know that Customizing 101 guide with my Black Knight? That was the 'testing the waters', they're wanting to know how interested people are in customs. But the only way they'll know is for people to tell them. The best way is to email them at fanfare@wizarduniverse.com and tell them you're intrested in seeing more customs, guides, and the like.

But besides just getting HomeMade heroes back so you can get your work published, we're also trying to get a monthly customizing feature approved by the bigwigs. However it won't be just me doing guides, they'll be looking for different customizers out there who have their own tips or techniques they could do per issue! Like how to sculpt hair, or how to make accessories, or how to cast parts. There's other features that can be expanded for them to contract out more customizers to do Wishlists and such.

However all of this depends on telling ToyFare that we're actually interested in customs, they have to hear it. So write them and email them. I'm doing my part and push for customs (I was already asked to provide a huge list of potential 'custom topics' to present to the bigwigs to show them they could fill a year's worth of articles) but they need to hear it from all of you too.
Jin Saotome
Regular Realmer

Postby Kyle Robinson » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:24 am

No doubt... Jins Right! I too have been Talking to senior editor Adam Tracey. Telling him (what he already knows but still needs to hear) that customizing is growing in a huge way. He is gunna post one of my figs (you'll see) in an upcoming HMH. But we discussed how they cant (or dont want to ) repeat customizer (unless it is in the MADE TO ORDER section) I thought that was sad considering so many of us want to help AGAIN and AGAIN. I asked "remember when Wizard had like a 2 page layout of HMH?" "and sometimes like 2 or 3 would be the same dude?" I really looked up to those pics when I was like 2nd and 3rd grade (looooooong time agao i know) I want to see that again .... ESPECIALLY SINCE ITS NOT IN WIZARD AND THE MAG IS CALLED TOY FARE FOR DOG SAKES!!! So bug them! over and over! i mean darn.... I any one of us can fill a years worth of articles on our own, let alone over 100 customizers submitting stuff.
Kyle Robinson
Elite Realmer

Postby Dr Nightmare » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:23 pm

Never bought Toyfare but doesn't look like they focus much on customizing, which is a HUGE GARGANTUAN part of action figure collecting. How they can only sporadically address customizing is...wierd! Collecting a figure is only half the fun, the rest is modifying it to look the way YOU want it to.
Last edited by Dr Nightmare on Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr Nightmare
Realminator

Postby Captain Coder » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:22 pm

Jin, that sounds really great. I hope you make some progress with them. If there's anything Figure Realm can do to help out with the situation, just let me know. Since there is a decent custom community here, you should send them links to the Custom Showcase just so they can see how many customizers are out there. If there's any kind of partnership arrangements they might be interested, such as... I don't know... maybe Figure Realm hosting a custom contest and the winner gets to be in Toyfare, I'd be happy to do it.
Captain Coder
Regulator

Postby Jin Saotome » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:59 am

Captain Coder wrote:Jin, that sounds really great. I hope you make some progress with them. If there's anything Figure Realm can do to help out with the situation, just let me know. Since there is a decent custom community here, you should send them links to the Custom Showcase just so they can see how many customizers are out there. If there's any kind of partnership arrangements they might be interested, such as... I don't know... maybe Figure Realm hosting a custom contest and the winner gets to be in Toyfare, I'd be happy to do it.

I've mentioned this site to Adam before but I'll pitch the custom contest idea to him, along with anything else that he might see as workable in ToyFare. HomeMade heroes gallery, tips, whatever. I'd love to see Figurerealm as the 'official' ToyFare custom headquarters!
"If my father were alive, I could make him proud!"

Jin Saotome's Dangerous Toys
Jin Saotome
Regular Realmer

Postby ToymakerB » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:22 pm

"He is gunna post one of my figs (you'll see) in an upcoming HMH. But we discussed how they cant (or dont want to ) repeat customizer (unless it is in the MADE TO ORDER section)"...

If this is true than why would I be told that they are considering 2 more of my customs for upcoming issues? Im not saying it isn't , but we need accurate feedback from these guys... Kyle, Im not calling you out on the carpet by any means with this, but you also mentioned that they told you your stuff was too proffessional for HMH...Why did that change? The reason I mentiuon that is that it made a few of us feel as if it wasnt as important as we may have thought . Clear this up would you? Thanks. Dude, Don't take this the wrong way..I just want to know whats what.
I've been around a long time...A few times

The Artist formally known as Toymakerb
ToymakerB
Fanatic Realmer

Postby Jin Saotome » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:53 pm

There's a difference between submitting something to HomeMade heroes and making customs that they pay you for, which is where I hope the 'Customizing 101' pitches that I'm coming up with please the editors. They contract out to people like me, Iron Cow, Ray, and a lot of repeat customizers in that respect. What I want to see is a larger HomeMade heroes section rather than just one figure. I think what Kyle is saying, is that they don't want to feature the same guy in the HomeMade heroes over and over because it's just one spot.
"If my father were alive, I could make him proud!"

Jin Saotome's Dangerous Toys
Jin Saotome
Regular Realmer

Postby Kyle Robinson » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:43 am

Jin Saotome wrote: I think what Kyle is saying, is that they don't want to feature the same guy in the HomeMade heroes over and over because it's just one spot.

Thats right jin? :lol: :lol: I know what you mean TMB im not affended. Thats just what Adam told me personally. He said "we try to stear clear of printing the same customizer in HMH, But if you sell one on eBay for a High Doller amaount, we would be more than happy to print it"

and it wasnt adam who told me that stuff about my customs being to much for HMH. it was some other chuckle head. I even mentioned it to him and he had no clue. This was before I even knew the guy or his email. I was sending them somwhere else (some link from toyfare.com) it might have been someone trying to shut me up..lol.. I literally sent them over 100 emails and about 60 of them had pics... THEN... GJ gave me adams email and I sent him 2 EMAILS and BAM he said "Can we use your stuff?" so I dont know man..lol.. I obviously had some bad contacts but thats not my fault. I think it is a big deal to be in TF, and I was wondering the same thing. and when Someone??? told Me my work was too professional and factory made. I took it as an insult and not a compliment. Why would I want my stuff to look factory made? thats why most of us even do this... TO FIX THE FACTORY FLAWS.

anyway...

I would be stoked to see you get more stuff in TF.... is it going to be in HMH again???? (adam said the "TRY" to not repeat, he didnt say it NEVER happends) if so I will keep sending him my stuff for HMH.

and FYI.... I would never lie about somthing stupid to people I dont even know in REAL LIFE (i dont mean that to be rude or mean..lol) cause that would just be ..... well... silly :lol:

I hope I cleared up what you inquired about.
Kyle Robinson
Elite Realmer

Toyfare and Custom figures

Postby Caretaker68 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:46 pm

At one time both Wizard and Toyfare devoted several pages to custom figures, but i dont know why they stopped cause just as i was ready to submit one, they quit and my computer days were far away from happening.
I would love to see them go back and showcase fan's works.
Caretaker68
Casual Realmer

Postby Shinobitron » Fri May 04, 2007 7:15 am

I too was talking to Mr Tracey when they came to me about my Cyclonus figure. One of the negative aspects of the customs they get are the fact that they seem to always get the same thing. He was excited to see that people out there are just not concentrating their efforts to soley Marvel and Dc Characters but to other aspects Transformers, Gi Joes. Movie Characters, and forgotten series.

TMB your David Carradine is a Prime example of someone thining outside the norm as was VPs Mr T. How often do you want to pickup a Toyfare and keep seeing the same thing .
Shinobitron
Regulator

Postby Captain Coder » Fri May 04, 2007 11:14 am

You know what would be cool Shinobitron, is if Toyfare would spread the word over here at the Realm as to what they are looking for. Usually they know the theme of the next several issues, so they could say hey, we are planning a Transformers story or Mr. T story and the customizers could create what they are looking for. That would help them from always getting the same characters.
Captain Coder
Regulator

Postby Bob-a-Ferret » Fri May 04, 2007 12:49 pm

Jin I am submitting my letter right now. So all involved with this persuit esspecially Jin I want you to know My crew Ravenrequiem, LotA, and myself really appreciate the way you guys are looking out for us little guys. Thanks and please keep up the good work
Live by the sword but know that there is a time to love thy woman and your children. For if they do not know your love then your life has no worth and you have failed as a man.
Bob-a-Ferret
Elite Realmer

Postby VariablePenguin » Fri May 04, 2007 12:50 pm

Shinobitron wrote:TMB your David Carradine is a Prime example of someone thining outside the norm as was VPs Mr T. How often do you want to pickup a Toyfare and keep seeing the same thing .

I sent them a picture of Mr. T and they weren't interested. Then they go an pick my least favorite of my customs and put it in a maganize. :?
VariablePenguin
Elite Realmer

Postby Shinobitron » Fri May 04, 2007 9:03 pm

I wasn't saying they were. It was just an example of a figure that was non Marvel or DC related that was an original piece. (That and hes one of my favorites of yours). Last months Made to Order was a Snakes on the Plane figure made from a Mace Windu.
Shinobitron
Regulator

Return to General Action Figure Chatter