Where do you get your ideas?

Any news, rumors, questions or info about action figures.

Moderator: Regulators

Where do you get your ideas?

Postby kodykoala » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:58 am

I was just curious how people get their ideas for figures?

For me the process depends. I walk through a toy store and see all the figures. I think that the toys look like something else, and I try to cultivate that idea.

Other times, I have toys sitting next to each other on the shelf, when I think...hmmm... those would work great together. That is how I come up with some of my mashups.

I also look at things other people have drawn or painted, and I think it would be great as a figure.

My wife says I am weird, but I guess I am \:D/

I would love to hear how everyone else gets ideas.
kodykoala
Casual Realmer

Re: Where do you get your ideas?

Postby Pock63 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:22 pm

Half the time I find a character I want to make and look for a base figure for it. The other half of the time I sea a figure and think that it would make a perfect base for a specific character.
You'll be lucky if you're one of the few to find someone who can tolerate you.
Pock63
Realm Addict

Postby cosmicfantasycustoms » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:21 pm

ẈĀŦƧĦĪƧ₣Ā₵Ė wrote:Half the time I find a character I want to make and look for a base figure for it. The other half of the time I sea a figure and think that it would make a perfect base for a specific character.

I wind up using this method a lot, but will sometimes research a character then look through others customs. I don't like to copy designs, but put some of my own spin on it or use parts that I myself could not have thought of.
cosmicfantasycustoms
Regulator

Location: http://www.figurerealm.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=40241

Postby 3bcustoms » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:29 pm

I usually get some of my ideas from watching movies or just flipping through a comic/magazine and see a character and wonder if I could make that ? or when I already have an idea ie; I was working on my 3.75 inch Atomic Skull when I realized after removing the Marvel Universe Ghost Rider head the rest of the body just screamed Ra's Al Ghul which then sparked my most recent post.
Also just looking at all the amazing work done on the realm is more than enough to get an idea, but I agree with ComicFantasyCustoms that you would want to put your own twist on it rather than just copy...But I do take it as one of the highest forms of compliments/flattery one can get when someone says they want to steal your idea 8)
3bcustoms
Fanatic Realmer

Postby kodykoala » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:58 pm

3bcustoms wrote:I usually get some of my ideas from watching movies or just flipping through a comic/magazine and see a character and wonder if I could make that ? or when I already have an idea ie; I was working on my 3.75 inch Atomic Skull when I realized after removing the Marvel Universe Ghost Rider head the rest of the body just screamed Ra's Al Ghul which then sparked my most recent post.
Also just looking at all the amazing work done on the realm is more than enough to get an idea, but I agree with ComicFantasyCustoms that you would want to put your own twist on it rather than just copy...But I do take it as one of the highest forms of compliments/flattery one can get when someone says they want to steal your idea 8)

I would never flat out copy someones idea. I agree with adding my own twist. I was mainly meaning drawings and paintings that other artists do, not necessarily customs.
kodykoala
Casual Realmer

Postby cosmicfantasycustoms » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:13 pm

love deviant art and so many artist on there, could not name them all and some pieces stand on their own. I loved michael turner, joe scott campbell, ron lim, dale keown, todd mcfarlane and cartoons/video games.
cosmicfantasycustoms
Regulator

Postby dbocustoms » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:44 pm

Usually i just make characters i really like, or sometimes ones that have not been given the ml treatment(that i know of) i started in the 90s using spawn figures and converting tham into marvel characters because the sculpts were so awesome,and some times i make somethin cause im asked to,but all in all its the general love for the characters that motivates me to make a custom. Hey cool topic dude!
TRADE LIST viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37739
i LoVe LAmP
dbocustoms
Avid Realmer

Postby cosmicfantasycustoms » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:04 pm

I agree great topic, I love to make characters either they way I wanted them or who I wanted to see. I just try to make a piece to fit what I see of that character and give it something or try a new technique/accessory/etc.
cosmicfantasycustoms
Regulator

Postby cheeneemyrans » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:05 pm

The answers start with the letter I, inspiration and imagination!
cheeneemyrans
Newbie Realmer

Postby Patraw » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:50 am

Depends. A lot of times I see a creature that I like while I'm playing a video game and make either a mental or physical note of it. Sometimes I browse through my huge archives of game sprites/screenshots/bestiaries looking for something that appeals to me. Other times I just "decide" out of the blue that I'm going to make so-and-so.
Patraw
Elite Realmer

Postby Wolverhulk ISS » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:13 pm

I get my ideas from comics, movies, and video games. I got into customizing because of collecting so it all stems from the figures I want to have. When there is no suitable figure out there for a character I simply must have on the shelf, I try to make one. It may be a reeaalllly long time before Hasbro makes a Chris Snow from Fear Nothing figure for me to buy. So off I go on a search for good base figs to bring him to life. It's so fun and rewarding to create a character you've had on the brain forever.
Last edited by Wolverhulk ISS on Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wolverhulk ISS
Casual Realmer

Postby Tim 121RVC » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:38 am

Movies, comics, books about fantasy / history / military, cartoons and other people's customs.
Tim 121RVC
Inductee Realmer

Postby RedRebelCustoms » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:38 am

I will usually use deviant art and go through my fodder to look for the right pieces or decide the character I want to do and use either comicvine, comic book, or bowen statue forums to compare. Imagination is the key. Sometimes looking at others customs helps to get your own spin on a recipe. Google image search is a great tool as well. With comicvine you can choose an image, shrink the screen, and put it side by side with your intended figure. I also do this with casting sites such as DMC to compare heads. Roughly sketching out a concept design or printing out a photo you can compare when sculpting are useful as well. :D
REDREBELCUSTOMS
RedRebelCustoms
Elite Realmer

Postby cosmicfantasycustoms » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:55 pm

RedRebelCustoms wrote:I will usually use deviant art and go through my fodder to look for the right pieces or decide the character I want to do and use either comicvine, comic book, or bowen statue forums to compare. Imagination is the key. Sometimes looking at others customs helps to get your own spin on a recipe. Google image search is a great tool as well. With comicvine you can choose an image, shrink the screen, and put it side by side with your intended figure. I also do this with casting sites such as DMC to compare heads. Roughly sketching out a concept design or printing out a photo you can compare when sculpting are useful as well. :D

I have done some of the same things. No wonder your techniques and customs rock so much.
cosmicfantasycustoms
Regulator

Postby RedRebelCustoms » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:36 pm

Thanks for the compliment Cosmis Fantasy. I am a big admirer of your customs bro. :D
REDREBELCUSTOMS
RedRebelCustoms
Elite Realmer

Next

Return to General Action Figure Chatter