OUCH! Injuries sustained while customizing

Show off your other non-figure custom creations here, such as model kits, garage-kits, dioramas, or maybe the next Clone Army invasion!

Moderator: Regulators

OUCH! Injuries sustained while customizing

Postby eldraxo » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:35 am

Here is a pic of a scar i got while doing a custom

It might not look like something to sneeze at but I assure this was nasty cut. The project I was doing was The Joker Cop (http://www.figurerealm.com/viewcustomfi ... ?FID=17107), I was just starting the figure. I decided to use the Joker goon as a base and I had decided to switch the legs for the Joker legs. First though I had to separate the upper body from the legs, i knew it wasn't going to be easy. I put on my gloves (vinyl) and got to cutting. I was using a straight edge exacto blade, had the figure in one hand and pushing the blade with the other. I had used this technique to pry open figures before so It wasn't something new. For some reason this toy wasn't cracking,

I was pushing with all my might when it happened SLIT the knife suddenly slipped out of my hands. Into the palm of the other hand. Initially it didn't hurt, it actually looked kind of cool how the blood spurted out but then the glove started filling up with blood. That's when I freaked out. I screamed and ran to the bathroom, removed the glove and started to wash my hand. I called out to my mom and sister to bring me a band-aid. They thought I was playing around (I'm always playing around and pretty loud) but when they saw the blood they freaked out even more than me. I applied pressure to the cut and while they were looking for a band-aid I started to feel light headed (I was losing a lot of blood). They managed to find some gauze and I put it on and lied down. Initially I needed stitches but I refused to go to the hospital (no insurance).

The sucker took about three weeks to close up and when it did it hurt pretty bad. The funny thing was that right after getting cut and putting on the bandage I went right back to work on the old Joker cop and I finished it the next day. I can truly say that my blood, sweat and tears went into that figure. If that's not dedication I don't know what is.
eldraxo
Regular Realmer

Re: OUCH! Injuries sustained while customizing

Postby bobtheodd » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:44 am

I know your pain, I cut myself about 2 weeks ago, no fun at all.
Super Glue your cuts, will close them up quick and no stitches needed.
http://www.ehow.com/how_4450308_use-superglue-cuts.html
bobtheodd
Elite Realmer

Postby Mr.Smiley » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:26 pm

OUCH! The story seems grusome! But the scar looks like nothing! And Bob, I heard of doing that but wont it be bad if superglue gets into your body?
Mr.Smiley
Avid Realmer

Postby Golden Wolf » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Super Glue Seals Almost Instantly on Skin as For Blood It Will not Get Into You Blood Stream If That What Your Thinking I Use It Alot I Even Leep It In An Emergency Kit for When I Work At Clubs there Great For Surface Cust & Minor Gashes Just Pinch The Skin Krazy Glue It Hold It Bang It's Sealed !
I Had Done That A Few Times.
In The Darkness Is Where I Shine !
tnregime.com - The best clothing company's out
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20647
http://www.myspace.com/hawaiianpunisher
http://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=700359085&refid=13
Golden Wolf
Regulator

Postby Mr.Smiley » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:55 pm

Oh ok. Now I know.
Mr.Smiley
Avid Realmer

Postby Green Skin » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:56 pm

Mr.Smiley wrote:OUCH! The story seems grusome! But the scar looks like nothing! And Bob, I heard of doing that but wont it be bad if superglue gets into your body?

Sealing skin is one of the first things they used super glue for. They would use it to seal wounds in the Vietnam War.
Green Skin
Regulator

Postby Golden Wolf » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:09 pm

One Of The Best Lines In A Movie Was From Dog Soldiers " Krazy Glue Was Made For Fixing Broken Soldiers "
In The Darkness Is Where I Shine !
tnregime.com - The best clothing company's out
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20647
http://www.myspace.com/hawaiianpunisher
http://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=700359085&refid=13
Golden Wolf
Regulator

Postby Pock63 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:30 pm

I've had some injuries too. Fore starters it turns out that I'm allergic to plastic dust and it makes my eiys swell up till I can barley open them. I found this out the hard way. I've also broken a couple of exacto blades. The first time this happened it was a couple of minutes before I noticed my that my hand was covered in blood. The cut was thin and deep so it didn't hurt as much as a surface cut. I also slipped well using my dads power sander once and sander the tip of my pointer finger off. Those are all the major injuries I've sustained well customizing. I've also had many smaller cuts with the exacto blades. There's enough of my blood in my exacto blades that you can almost call them family.
You'll be lucky if you're one of the few to find someone who can tolerate you.
Pock63
Realm Addict

Postby sabetoonth » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:41 pm

Golden Wolf wrote:One Of The Best Lines In A Movie Was From Dog Soldiers " Krazy Glue Was Made For Fixing Broken Soldiers "

thats a line, and we use it for fixing toy soldiers :D :mrgreen: :badgrin:
sabetoonth
Regular Realmer

Postby Wesr » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:25 pm

You buy the liquid bandage stuff at the stores and it even smells like superglue but isn't nearly as adhesive. My dad always throws on a few bandages and tapes it up to avoid stitches (he's accident prone at times). I have to get a photo of my thumb from when i was 14 and the utility knife went into it. I get minor ones now and then from the knife slipping or the dremel sanding me and not the figure. Nearly had a bad one the other day when the knife slipped and when into my thumbnail, it just barely missed my finger (went right over it) but the nail split slightly.
Wesr
Realminator

Postby Top-notch comix » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:40 pm

Mr.Smiley wrote:Oh ok. Now I know.

And knowing is half the battle! ;)
Top-notch comix
Realm of Famer

Postby Pock63 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:46 pm

Does anyone know a pane frea way to get bandages off? I put some on the other day and my skin healled with them attached! If I pull them off I'll reapone the wounds. Any help would be apreaciated.
Pock63
Realm Addict

Postby bobtheodd » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:56 pm

You should put on a triple antibiotic ointment on it, will help it to heal and should leave the bandage and the wound in a moist state, that is good for healing. As far as your stuck bandage.....could run it under some water, should free it.
bobtheodd
Elite Realmer

Postby Pock63 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:58 pm

bobtheodd wrote:You should put on a triple antibiotic ointment on it, will help it to heal and should leave the bandage and the wound in a moist state, that is good for healing. As far as your stuck bandage.....could run it under some water, should free it.

Ok thanks. I'll try soeking the bandage in water when I get home.
Pock63
Realm Addict

Postby sabetoonth » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:53 pm

i think yhe worse ive done wich customizing is get stuff in my eyes when dremeling, renders me blind for a bit ,but im fine
sabetoonth
Regular Realmer

Next

Return to Other Custom Creations