Announcing the Star Wars Custom Contest

Find out the latest news related to Figure Realm. You are encouraged to make any comments, suggestions or report any problems with the web site.

Moderator: Regulators

Announcing the Star Wars Custom Contest

Postby Custom Showcase » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:12 pm

Announcing the Star Wars Custom Contest.

A Long Long Time Ago In a Galaxy Far Away....

Star Wars was created and since then Kenner and Hasbro have made some outstanding smaller scale figures. Now it�s your chance to show you love of the great Star Wars saga by creating a 6 in or larger scale (if you choose to make a 12in custom and you want to use an official Star wars 12in figure for parts or as a base it has to be more than just a repaint,Also if you wanted to make yoda a jawa or like an ewok they don't have to be 6in tall they just have to be in scale with 6in figures at least ) inch scale Star Wars figure. You are allowed to make original characters and show off even more creativity, or you could just make a pre-existing character...or you can go with option #2. Star Wars is known for its exotic and intriguing environments, so you also have the option to make a Diorama of your favorite Star Wars terrain.The dios don't have to be on any predetermined scale

We hope to see some well-made creative entries. Good Luck!

A few Rule clarifications in RED
Custom Showcase
Realminator

Re: Announcing the Star Wars Custom Contest

Postby Darththomas » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:14 am

OOOhhh, like the sound of this one, we're all doomed if one person in particular decides to enter though. Can we go bigger than 6 inches or is that the absolute limit?
FaceBook Emlyn Darthomas Thomas
WIP viewtopic.php?f=25&t=25093
Darththomas
Regulator

Postby asch » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:21 am

great, i won`t miss this one, that`s for sure. i hope there will be many contestants from every corner of the galaxy!
asch
Fanatic Realmer

Postby Top-notch comix » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:49 am

darththomas81 wrote:OOOhhh, like the sound of this one, we're all doomed if one person in particular decides to enter though. Can we go bigger than 6 inches or is that the absolute limit?

it says 6-7 inches, so wrestlers are prolly okay
Top-notch comix
Realm of Famer

Postby HeartBreakKid » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:07 pm

A few rule clarifications :) All in RED in the rules above ^
Friendly neighborhood moderator-Any Questions,Concerns,Just looking to chat feel free to PM!
Official member of the Untouchable Customs Team .
HeartBreakKid
Regulator

Postby Darththomas » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:17 pm

Top-notch comix wrote:
darththomas81 wrote:OOOhhh, like the sound of this one, we're all doomed if one person in particular decides to enter though. Can we go bigger than 6 inches or is that the absolute limit?

Aha, not thinking wrestlers this time, thinking I might go for ML instead, if I enter.
FaceBook Emlyn Darthomas Thomas
WIP viewtopic.php?f=25&t=25093
Darththomas
Regulator

Postby asch » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:38 pm

darththomas81 wrote:
Top-notch comix wrote:

Aha, not thinking wrestlers this time, thinking I might go for ML instead, if I enter.

i like Yours wrestlers (and others) customs.. and i hope to see your work there!
asch
Fanatic Realmer

Postby Patraw » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:41 am

I don't suppose you'd consider repealing/modifying the scale rule to allow any size figures? I'm guessing, from the description, the intent was to prevent people from taking the "easy" route and making 3-3/4" figures, seeing as how that's what Kenner/Hasbro has always done. While I can understand that, it ignores the large number of 12" Star Wars figures that can also be "easily" converted in a similar manner. If it is your intent is to prevent Star Wars customs that echo official merchandise in scale, then I'd say you should prohibit 12" figures too, to be consistant. Also, you're allowing dioramas to be in any scale, which means people can use 3-3/4" or 12" figures for those, which pretty much just outright invalidates the first scale rule (i.e., say, I don't want to make a 6-7" inch figure, so I just make a 3-3/4" diorama and get away with using 3-3/4" figures anyway).

While I don't condone selling customs of copyrighted characters, I would also like to point out that anybody who wants to sell a figure they make for this contest is going to have a harder time doing so because their figure won't fit into scale with existing Star Wars toys, thus, making them less desirable to some potential buyers (i.e., a 9 inch Chewbacca, no matter how well done, is going to look whack next to an official 3-3/4 inch or 12 inch Han Solo). Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that someone wouldn't want a ML/DCUC/etc. scale Star Wars figure, but for someone who only collects 3-3/4" or 12" Star Wars figures, it's not likely to be very attractive to them because it won't fit in with their existing collection.

I vote to just keep it simple/uniform and allow any scale figures. The quality/creativity of an entry is significantly more important than how tall it stands in my opinion.
Patraw
Elite Realmer

Postby HeartBreakKid » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:04 pm

Patraw wrote:I don't suppose you'd consider repealing/modifying the scale rule to allow any size figures? I'm guessing, from the description, the intent was to prevent people from taking the "easy" route and making 3-3/4" figures, seeing as how that's what Kenner/Hasbro has always done. While I can understand that, it ignores the large number of 12" Star Wars figures that can also be "easily" converted in a similar manner. If it is your intent is to prevent Star Wars customs that echo official merchandise in scale, then I'd say you should prohibit 12" figures too, to be consistant. Also, you're allowing dioramas to be in any scale, which means people can use 3-3/4" or 12" figures for those, which pretty much just outright invalidates the first scale rule (i.e., say, I don't want to make a 6-7" inch figure, so I just make a 3-3/4" diorama and get away with using 3-3/4" figures anyway).

While I don't condone selling customs of copyrighted characters, I would also like to point out that anybody who wants to sell a figure they make for this contest is going to have a harder time doing so because their figure won't fit into scale with existing Star Wars toys, thus, making them less desirable to some potential buyers (i.e., a 9 inch Chewbacca, no matter how well done, is going to look whack next to an official 3-3/4 inch or 12 inch Han Solo). Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that someone wouldn't want a ML/DCUC/etc. scale Star Wars figure, but for someone who only collects 3-3/4" or 12" Star Wars figures, it's not likely to be very attractive to them because it won't fit in with their existing collection.

I vote to just keep it simple/uniform and allow any scale figures. The quality/creativity of an entry is significantly more important than how tall it stands in my opinion.

You sure complain a lot :lol:

but rules stay the same I might make some slight edits about the 12in thing to make it harder but thats about it because the dio argument made very little sense if they want to make the dio using 3.5 scale stuff thats fine and if they want to make a custom to go with the dio thats also fine it doesn't really rule out the first 1 I gave options for a reason I jsu didn't want to make this too easy
Friendly neighborhood moderator-Any Questions,Concerns,Just looking to chat feel free to PM!
HeartBreakKid
Regulator

Postby HeartBreakKid » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:06 pm

New edit concerning 12in stuff
HeartBreakKid
Regulator

Postby asch » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:32 pm

how i see this: it`s way harder to make 6 inch SW custom so if someone want to make 3.3/4 entry, then he have to make diorama as well - it looks fair to me.. and i don`t think that matter if people can sell their customs after contest or not, should be consider on first place..
asch
Fanatic Realmer

Postby Green Skin » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:46 pm

Could you even make a customs in the 3 3/4 scale for Star Wars? Good luck finding a character they haven't made into a figure already. How would selling customs after the contest even be relevant anyway?
Green Skin
Regulator

Postby Wesr » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:44 pm

It's just a thing Patraw has about selling customs of copyrighted characters.
Wesr
Realminator

Postby asch » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:34 am

my first figure for SW contest is done.. this time i won`t wait till end of deadline to work on them.. still one in progress
asch
Fanatic Realmer

Postby Wesr » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:44 am

I wish i had some family guy figures to do customs from their starwars specials lol.
Wesr
Realminator

Next

Return to Figure Realm News and Comments