Pepper Potts Iron Woman

Want to gab about how pointy Batman's ears are or how far Spider-Man can go on a cartridge of web-fluid? Feel free to share your thoughts on all your favorite comics here!

Moderator: Regulators

Pepper Potts Iron Woman

Postby HeartBreakKid » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:41 pm

Writer Kelly Sue DeConnick Talks about what she thinks of the role change of pepper:
Things have been rough for Pepper Potts lately.

She came back to work for Tony Stark only to get blown up and nearly die. To save her life, Stark had to implant her with a magnetic heart and replace some of her missing limbs with cybernetics. Norman Osborn targeted Stark and Maria Hill, which sent them on the run, leaving Potts in charge of Stark Industries. In the process, she found an armor Stark designed with her in mind and ended up donning it to flee her pursuers and save her boss' life. During it all, Pepper slowly grew into her role as a hero, dubbing herself Rescue.

Now, Potts finds herself in the middle of Siege after helping bring Stark back from his vegetative state. But, her story hasn't been fully told as writer Kelly Sue DeConnick tracks Rescue's journey from New York to Broxton, Oklahoma in RECUE, a one-shot that will tie into both Siege and the Women of Marvel celebration.

"Pepper has always been appealing to me in the same way that [actress] Rosalind Russell never fails to put a smile on my face," DeConnick says. "The hard shell, the quick wit, the compensatory bravado! Love it. But the way her situation [has] changed recently, this power conundrum that she's facing, that I find fascinating."

According to DeConnick, the transition from assistant to headline player has not been the easiest for Potts, noting that she has essentially been the right hand woman to one of Marvel's more complex and challenged heroes for most of her career.

"But now she's given the opportunity to don the mantle herself," DeConnick notes. "She doesn't have to be support staff anymore, not a plot device, not tied to the train tracks, not doing her part to make exposition less obvious. She's stepping into position not only as a

heroine, but as a protagonist. That's really interesting to me because it's completely foreign territory for Pepper; it's way out of her comfort zone. Doubt and fear are not emotions with which Pepper's accustomed. Having the opportunity to be with her and sort of metaphorically hold her hand as she makes her way through this particular minefield, creatively, it's a great place to be."

With so much going on in her life, it might seem like Potts doesn't have the time to slow down for a one-shot, but DeConnick promises a mix of action and drama that will fit right in with what her husband Matt Fraction has been doing over in INVINCIBLE IRON MAN.

"I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to tell you about the plot but there's some punching, some explosions and some compulsive de-cluttering that would make 'Clean House' guru Peter Walsh proud," DeConnick replies coyly.

While not able to comment further on the story within RESCUE, DeConnick happily turned to the Women of Marvel celebration in general which has spawned a number of projects like GIRL COMICS.

"It feels great," the writer says of her participation in the event. "I lack the superlatives to tell you how much I like the people with whom I'm working-everyone has been amazing. I've gotten to play with some choice characters and I have-particularly with RESCUE-written a story that I'm proud of, one that touches on issues that are close to my heart. I'm grateful to Marvel for the opportunity and for what has been a genuinely dream-come-true experience."

This just some news I found that I thought I'd share :D
Friendly neighborhood moderator-Any Questions,Concerns,Just looking to chat feel free to PM!
Official member of the Untouchable Customs Team .
HeartBreakKid
Regulator

Re: Pepper Potts Iron Woman

Postby Wesr » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:27 pm

Is it me or is her armor frowning?
Wesr
Realminator

Postby whiskeytango » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:27 pm

i'd be frowning too if I had a magnetic heart and cybernetic limbs...

... wait, actually that sounds pretty cool
Check out my Customs Blog here: http://whiskeytangoscustomshop.blogspot.com/
whiskeytango
Fanatic Realmer

Postby Wesr » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:46 pm

I wondered how long before she got a suit. I remember an issue from the 80s where she had to wear one of the armors and was complaining that it chaffed in places she didn't appreciate lol. Marvel's changed the universe so much i'm totally lost half the time.
Wesr
Realminator

Postby therapist » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:19 am

I have been saying this would happen for a good 10 years now
"Untouchable Customs"
therapist
Realm of Famer

Return to Comics Corner